Did You Get Accepted to NYU Class of 2027? Get All Your Questions Answered by the School - Exclusive AMA w/ NYU on Thu, Apr 6 @ 4-5pm ET

How hard to transfer to stern from steihardt?

1. Not that much of an admit difference. Tiny percentage points different. The big difference is You vs. You. Apply when you feel completely ready.

2. Rec Letters play a role in the process as well. Admittedly, for the most part, GPA plays the largest role, but not by much (holistic process).

3. We are SAT-Optional, meaning we do not discriminate if you decide not to submit the testing. If you submit low testing scores, it could harm your application. If they are high, they can improve your application competitiveness. Look out for Middle 50%ile or mean SAT score of admitted student for guidance.

@Mei_2023, any School to Stern is extremely competitive.

@Matooz, of course! I would be more than happy to! CAS is the College of Arts and Science (our largest school) that has various departments/majors.program. Liberal studies students, after their two years are able to transfer into various different schools. It can be CAS, but it can be our other schools and program.

I reccomend our article that might of interest “So What Is the Liberal Studies Core?” by Kay Jennings. It can be found on Meet NYU.

Across the board for all of NYU, including Tandon.

Thank you, Ivan. I think my question is more about proximity to their studio. Understanding that some of their academic and other classes will likely be in the buildings closer to WSP, given that they will be at their studios for long days/nights, is there a way to figure out how to request a placement that’s closer to their studio?

There is space for you to put that interest in there.

Re GPA importance, some high schools have a lot of grade inflation while others do not. It does not seem fair to penalize the students who go to high schools that are more conservative and realistic with grading.

What is the difference between CAS CS and Tandon CS? Is one easier to get in than the other?

@ListenandLearn, there is transportation that can take students all over Manhattan and Brookyln Campuses, free of charge to students (NYU Shuttle BUses). They are reliable with about 8 different routes. I advise the student to stay in the general Manhattan Campus area to stay close to most of the studios. Weinstein, Paulson, Lipton, Goddard would be my suggestions.

How important are AP scores?

@Penelope22, one is not necessarily easier to get in that the other. CS at CAS is a BA with Tandom CS being a BS. Essentially this means that CAS has more elective options and more general core classes while Tandon has more requirements within the major.

@musicalchessmom, overall academics Play a role, but Audition/Portfolio will play major role in application strength.

@Penelope22, for transferring credit, 4 or higher needed. For Application strength, AP exam scores not required (unless you want them too), but does make your application stronger (rigor plays a role).

Within steinhardt do you need to choose major in the first year?

No! CAS is more research/math based (BA). Tandon is more hands-on and science-based (BS). Just a matter of preference.

@Mei_2023, you would need to indicate desired program on the application.

Is CS impacted like at other universities?

Can you change your major later or double major within steinhardt?

@Mei_2023, you definitely can! But it is important to note that your second major would have to be in CAS