How can I get a better estimate on the pricing of Alabama as an out of state student?

Hey all,

I’ve been accepted into UA’s class of '21 with the Presidential Scholarship for full tuition. My other school I’ve been accepted into is University of Iowa, which with scholarships will only cost about $2,000 per year. I’d like to go to 'Bama, but I’m curious how it would compare price wise? The housing costs on the CoA page on UA’s website lists an incredibly expensive rate. I understand my first year would be expensive, but would the years after my Freshman year be comparable to the Iowa price? I’m from Minnesota, so flight pricing would play a role too. I am lucky to be able to afford both options, but I don’t want to look back and realize I overspent and turned a blind eye to, essentially, a full ride. I am going into Management Information Sciences and plan on rushing a frat, which is also more expensive at Alabama. So, any help on figuring out pricing would be great! It’s a tough decision and I want to make sure I make the right one.

Thanks!
-jacmaniac

The housing costs can vary depending on whether you choose one of the really nice suite-style dorms or a double or triple room in a traditional dorm. The COA uses the suite-style dorm cost; you can pay less by choosing a traditional dorm. The All-Access meal plan, which is pricy, is required of freshmen, but if you join a fraternity and have a meal plan with the fraternity, you can downgrade to the less expensive Greek meal plan to supplement what you get at the house. Dining Dollars, which are mandatory and included in the COA, can be refunded to you if not used at the end of the year. My daughter never used her Dining Dollars.

After freshman year, you don’t need to have a meal plan. Housing costs will vary depending on what you choose. There are very pricy options, and there are some that are way less than the cost of the suite-style dorms. My daughter never spent anywhere close to the book cost listed as part of the COA; she bought used books, found pdf’s online, rented books, etc. to keep costs down. I have no idea what flight costs are from Minnesota; we’re from the Chicago area and flight costs have been pretty reasonable. Even if you’re frugal, though, you’re not going to get the cost down to $2,000 or anything close to that. I think we paid about $15K after the Presidential, although my daughter chose to live alone in a newer, furnished apartment complex within walking distance of campus, which definitely was at the upper end of cost.

I don’t know anything about Iowa’s MIS program, but Alabama’s MIS program is outstanding.

@beth’s mom So essentially it comes down to a cheaper first year at Iowa and more expensive at Bama, while prices kinda even out once I’d move off. Flights are about $350. I think I could get it down to about $11,000 or $12,000. It’s just hard to try and convince the parents paying that Bama is worth the extra $$. All sounds good though. Iowa’s MIS program isn’t great, definitely think Bama is the way to go.

I know it is easier said than done, but go down for a visit before you make a decision and make the best of it because UA definitely makes you feel special.

Son has the Presidential and Engineering Scholarship and we live in Wisconsin. He has either been in a suite dorm, or a rather expensive apartment and I estimate with room, food and books, we pay about $9,000-$11,000 per year without transporation costs. He flies in and out for Fall break, Christmas and Spring break and my husband drives him to/from at the beginning and end of the year. With hotel costs, travel estimate is $1500+ (driving, airfare and needed hotels). You probably could go cheaper and not come home at all and live in a less expensive dorm, and cheaper apartment, but in my opinion I don’t think you would be able to get it down to less than $7,000 per year in year 2-4. Hope this helps.

There are definitely ways to cut costs. Are you deadset about being in a fraternity? Fraternities can be moderately expensive or very expensive depending on the fraternity. Those who have sons in fraternities can hopefully chime in on the specific costs.

You could consider not joining a fraternity till your second year. You might find by that time that you have established a set of friends and already found your niche. There are also professional fraternities that have a nominal cost. In addition, there are over 500 registered groups/clubs on campus. There are also many churches and a Hillel, which sponsors various student activities including some free meals. So basically, all your entertainment can be virtually free. There are many musical/theatre/sporting events which are free to students and football tickets can be purchased at a nominal charge.

Of course, first year housing costs can really only be moderated by selecting the more traditional housing options, but second to fourth year housing can be less expensive than living in an individual bedroom suite on campus. You will just have to get roommates and Not pick the newest apartment complex with all the fancy amenities. You will have to choose a more frugal option. Since, you will not need a meal plan after your freshman year, you can save money by cooking in your apartment and limiting restaurant meals.

You can reference this thread (link below), There might be a few items that need updating, for instance I think the cost of dining dollars is a bit higher now. However, there are still some good suggestions. Also, you can do a search in this forum for other ideas.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1605777-cutting-costs.html#latest

The pledge semester of a friends potential fraternity would have cost $5,000 had he joined.

@soyunchico $5000 including living in the house? Or is that just for fraternity dues? That’s incredibly pricey.

@robotbldmom Thank you! I’m pretty set on joining a fraternity, but i’m sure I could cut costs. The costs are quite high for fraternities at any school. I’m sure I could try and make it work, and I haven’t been down to Tuscaloosa yet so I’ll see how I like it. Thanks!

Just dues. Its lower after first semester. However, it will still cost an average of $3,000 a semester ontop of housing.

Jacmaniac, when you visit make sure to visit with folks in the MIS department. Their placement record and reputation are quite good.

^^Regarding post #10
Culverhouse College of Commerce First Destination Report
Undergraduate Class- December 2015

https://career.sa.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/CB-Summary-Report-December-2015-Bachelors.pdf

At most fraternities the semester dues include meals. And in some the dues go down each year so that by the time you are a senior you have a substantial discount over the freshman year dues.

Bama and Iowa are both great schools, they’re close academically and I really don’t think one is better than the other . My advice would don’t break the bank on an undergrad degree.

If your total cost at Iowa is $2000 a year, the prices are never going to even out. You will be paying your full living costs at Bama but not at Iowa and, absent getting an RA job or something like that that will pay your housing costs (and RA jobs are very hard to come by), you’re not going to be able to live in Tuscaloosa for anywhere close to $2,000. Most leases in Tuscaloosa are 12 month leases, and while there are certainly sub-$500/mo. rents to be found, many are more expensive and you have food and utilities on top of that.

That said, if your parents can afford and are willing to pay for either, you don’t need to choose based on cost alone. Visit both, compare the programs and decide if Alabama is worth the extra cost. It may or may not be to you.

Do you mean your cost of tuition is 2k or cost of attendance? I agree with previous posters if it’s the latter. Alabama is a good deal, but not 2k a year good.

I’m very curious about this too. You are considered a non-resident, no (coming from Minnesota to Iowa)? OOS tuition at Iowa is $28,813. Even the top scholarship at Iowa is ‘up to’ $20k for OOS student, so that is a net of $8,813 for tuition and then there is room/board/expenses on top of that. There are other scholarships, yes, but many do not stack, so I find it difficult to believe that the net cost to you at Iowa is only $2000.

Be extra aware of the requirements to KEEP a generous scholarship at any school. At Iowa, it is 3.33 GPA. Look into their probation policy as well, should you dip below that. (UA’s is lenient and they will work with you if you dip below 3.0.) Good luck with your decisions.

@aeromom I am an American Indian, so I am receiving in state tuition at Iowa, along with two scholarships that stack. One for $8,500 and the other for $8,000. They will pay for tuition and on campus housing, but regardless, I will be moving off campus after my first year and the scholarships will not apply.

It comes down to about $2,000 the first year. My scholarships could be applied to study abroad once I move off campus at Iowa though. $2,000 net the first year, estimated $8,000 for the remaining 3(hopefully).