2/3 scholarship question

<p>So I got a 31 on the last and final ACT.</p>

<p>Complete bummed.</p>

<p>BUT. I am NOT giving up hope for financing an education. With my 2/3 scholarship, it still comes out to about 26,000 according to the website. </p>

<p>Do individual departments give out scholarships (not engineering, specifically Business)? </p>

<p>I’m trying to figure out a way to get Alabama to work, but it’s looking slimmer and slimmer. Anyone have any advice?</p>

<p>study engineering?</p>

<p>i think that number sounds high.</p>

<p>^Agree with MikeW. Looked at my son’s account, added all the fees (other than orientation), OOS tuition, super suite and meal plan, calculated what a 2/3 OOS tuition scholarship would be and subtracted that. Came out to $10,345 per semester or $20,790 annually. Does not factor in books, travel expenses etc, just hard dollars to the university.</p>

<p>Edited: Took out AA fee. </p>

<p>Also note my son has lots of fees due to many science courses. His fees may be on high side.</p>

<p>Another edit - $21 was for football tix and just over $300 was for course fees.</p>

<p>what is tuition these days</p>

<p>Or study computer science.</p>

<p>The website shows a very expensive version of expected costs. You can cut down the housing expense by living in a traditional dorm. It looks like some of the rooms may be tripple occupancy next year to cut costs even more. Plus, you only have to live on campus for one year and the following three years can be cheaper due to living off campus and not having the expensive meal plan.</p>

<p>A friend from my D’s HS received an additional scholarship above her ACT-based scholarship. I don’t remember if her ACT-based amount was 1/3 or 2/3 but I do know they were also given some sort of additional amount. Not a full tuition but better than the original. I also don’t remember the name of their additional scholarship, so I’m probably not very helpful but I do recall they were surprised to receive it. And it definitely wasn’t need-based. So don’t give up hope!</p>

<p>The COA on Bama’s website includes all the priciest options for all 4 years so that families can use Plus loans if desired.</p>

<p>A student on a budget does NOT have to spend that much…especially for all 4 years.</p>

<p>Choosing a cheaper dorm cuts cost by several thousand. And, after frosh year, a meal plan isn’t required…or you can choose a cheaper meal plan. </p>

<p>Many students find cheaper ways to buy books…used, online, borrow, trade, etc. Also, “personal expenses” is an area to economize as well.</p>

<p>Computer Science majors get the same “tuition bonus” as eng’g students for an ACT 30/31.</p>

<p>Can you tell us more? What is your budget? How much will your family pay?</p>

<p>With a full tuition scholarship, and an engineering scholarship, what will the total cost be?</p>

<p>Riprorin, about $5300 per semester this year. That does not include books but does include tuition, fees, dining dollars, full meal plan and super suite room.</p>

<p>Thanks. Seriously, the student should consider engineering or CS. Big savings plus better job prospects.</p>

<p>^But to keep the scholarships a student has to maintain a 3.0. That’s not easy to do in engineering, especially for a student whose interest is elsewhere.</p>

<p>True, but if she got a 31 on her ACT she can’t be too bad in math and science. She can always try it for a semester for a semester or two.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t encourage anyone to major in engineering or computer science solely to get additional scholarship dollars. If you don’t want to be an engineer and you want a career in business, it isn’t worth majoring in engineering. If the student ends up hating engineering or CS and switches majors, they lose the College of Engineering scholarship and if they then can’t afford to continue, they have to transfer. It just doesn’t seem like a prudent way to go - better to go to a school that’s affordable for the major you want. JMO.</p>

<p>Wondering why this was the OP’s “last and final ACT”? Won’t UA consider scores right up through June? And recalculate scholarship eligibility accordingly?</p>

<p>When are the last ACT/SAT test dates that you accept?
The national October ACT and the national November SAT are the last college entrance examination results accepted for students who want scholarship consideration.</p>

<p>[FAQ</a> - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/]FAQ”>Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>There are always trade-offs in life. If she has to have the full-tuition scholarship to go to UA and studying engineering/CS is the only pathway, she’ll have to weigh how badly she wants to go to UA vs how badly she wants to study business.</p>

<p>There’s plenty of people who get engineering degrees that aren’t practicing engineers. Engineering is a great discipline to train your mind and an engineering degree will be useful regardless of what you do.</p>

<p>^^ The October ACT and the November SAT in the student’s senior year are the last tests that will be considered. </p>

<p>From the FAQs on the Scholarship page:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>a student can get an engineering degree and also an MBA at the same time, i think. not sure if it takes an extra year or not. sort of a new program, so these details may not be accurate, but there is some program where you get engineering plus something in business.</p>

<p>Wondering why this was the OP’s “last and final ACT”? Won’t UA consider scores right up through June? And recalculate scholarship eligibility accordingly?</p>

<p>No, and many schools won’t do that either. a few will, but many will not. </p>

<p>as mentioned above, for seniors, the last SAT accepted for scholarships is Nov…the last ACT is Oct.</p>