Diversity Fall Fly-In Programs

<p>I want to apply for Tufts’ thing, but I forgot about it. I have until the 14th to apply, but I need it by tomorrow for “travel priority”. Should I apply anyway and see if I get the travel? I don’t want to burden my GC. </p>

<p>Trinity College(CT)
Connecticut College
Colorado College
Bowdoin
Middlebury
Wesleyan
Amherst
Williams</p>

<p>Though DD didn’t apply to the Dartmouth Fly-in event, they invited her up for the MLK weekend. Contact James Washington in admissions. He is the diversity coordinator. </p>

<p>@HeisAidanD defintely apply. If its the same GC that has written prior recommendation, then he/she should have that letter on file to tweak for Tufts. No application, no chance.</p>

<p>Anyone get notified by Bates yet for the Prologue II session? Application didn’t specify when you’d be contacted.</p>

<p>@Tmvwhv, no the Bates decisions aren’t out yet. These programs are very variable in when they announce (and how organized they are!) Vassar still hasn’t released decisions for this year’s Vassar View which takes place in exactly two weeks! Last year Pomona was buying tickets for students one week before the program began.
Bates is a month away but I’m sure decisions will be out soon. You could start a thread in the Bates subforum under CC top liberal arts colleges if you’re interested in connecting with other students who will be attending this year. </p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up, nynightowl. Thought I might have missed an email or two.</p>

<p>My D did fly-ins to Oberlin and Tulane, don’t see either of those on the list. Oberlin covered complete costs, Tulane reimbursed $250 of travel expenses.</p>

<p>Thanks, Oberlin was on the original post, but I have never heard about Tulane. Pitt reimburses travel expenses as well, I think $200 plus a hotel room for a night.<br>
I also just remembered Whitman-S got a fly in acceptance from them today.</p>

<p>If anyone is interested the Oberlin application is still open for all three sessions
<a href=“http://new.oberlin.edu/arts-and-sciences/admissions/campus-visits/applying.dot”>http://new.oberlin.edu/arts-and-sciences/admissions/campus-visits/applying.dot&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@planner03, you included Whitman on your list on post #96 ;). </p>

<p>An FYI for anyone interested in Oberlin’s fly-in, they have extended the applicant pool this year to include low income and first generation students. Prior to this year, Oberlin has been a staunchly ALANA program, focusing on URMs, but now are inviting students from other under-represented groups. They often have space in their programs so do apply if you’re interested in Oberlin! </p>

<p>@honeybee63 Oops, I even went back and looked at my list and didn’t notice it.</p>

<p>@picktails, I know it was a year ago, but do you remember how your D liked the Oberlin program? They do interviews right?</p>

<p>Yes, they interviewed while she was there. She liked it very much, but found the town small and limited.</p>

<p>Anyone experience getting accepted to a fly-in program and then getting rejected for admission? S plans on going ED1 to one of two schools he’s visiting.</p>

<p>@Tmvwhv, are you the parent or the student? You seem to switch back and forth. </p>

<p>We both use the same account. Right now, this is the parent replying to your question. I registered a separate account for myself and didn’t have the ability to reply or post for some reason. No horsing around here. Previous posts have come from the perspective of both parent and student.</p>

<p>Would you be able to chime in on my above question? Thanks</p>

<p>Sure. I did answer when your S asked the same question in another thread - thus my curiosity about the poster.
What I told your S is that it is rare to be admitted to a <em>selective</em> fly-in and then not admitted to the college. At WOW and Divoh, Disco Swat, Explore Bowdoin etc. they tell the kids that an acceptance is very likely.</p>

<p>What is also common, though, are kids being rejected from fly-ins and then later admitted to the college. Many students however, take a fly-in rejection as a sign that the college wouldn’t admit them ED or RD and don’t even apply. That’s a shame and probably the only downside to applying for fly-ins.</p>

<p>Very reassuring, I hope this applies to S. Thanks. Sorry for the confusion of me being an internet dinosaur.</p>

<p>The Amherst Divoh program sealed the deal for my daughter. Within hours of her arrival, she called me and had me switch her QQuest bridge rankings that were due that day…she said she wanted Amherst as her #1, and she was matched to them 2 months later. Without the diversity fly in, she would have missed out on her “perfect” school. Of course she would have bloomed wherever she went, but the fly in program gave her the extra push to choose her school.</p>

<p>but just think @GA2012MOM, if she’d gone to Williams she’d have met the love of her love four years earlier and had four more years of bliss :wink: hehe </p>

<p>Lol@honeybee63, Nah, everything happens for a reason in the right time! If she had been there, things might have been different today, plus they wouldn’t have all the good ole’ fashion rivarly. Go Jeff’s! =D> </p>