Diversity weekend opportunities

<p>There are several schools that offer fly in visits to interested URM students. They vary as far as when they occur, most are in the fall of senior year, and some are in the spring of senior year before or after decisions. They also vary in whether or not they pay for flights, and some are limited in scope to areas that can be serviced by ground transportation. Some programs are advertised on college websites and require applications, while other schools send out invitations when they have gotten the name of a URM of interest through test scores, Ventures Scholars, signing up on their website, etc. Here is a compiled list of schools that have offered visits in the past few years, check websites or email colleges for their current status. Please feel free to add to or update this list:</p>

<p>Washington University St. Louis
Carleton College
Pitzer College
Swarthmore College
Tufts University
Oberlin College
Amherst College
Williams
Pomona
Kenyon
Middlebury
Bowdoin
Cornell
Dartmouth
Smith
CMU
Macalester
Wesleyan
Grinnell
MIT
Rice
Emory
Vandy
UNC (for EA applicants)</p>

<p>Thank you for posting this list!</p>

<p>My junior son is in the process of compiling his list of colleges, and we'll definitely look at these in the process. He's already interested in Rice, and I just learned about their Vision program on another thread, although it appears to take up a couple of school days and that seems to be a problem with some invitees.</p>

<p>I guess his NMSF status might garner some invitations for DS, but it sounds like he should register on these college websites also.</p>

<p>You're welcome! Yes, this is a great time for your S to get on some college mailing lists, check to see if they have a special diversity group within their admissions office. His NMSF status will absolutely get him noticed by many of the top colleges. </p>

<p>My D attended Visions a couple of years ago, as I recall it was at a kind of funny time since it was just before their "interim" decisions (which is no longer an admissions option) came out. She didn't end up attending, but had a great visit and it really helped to counter the "but it's in Texas" mindset that was the major stumbling block with Rice.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>Thanks for the list Entomom. How would you suggest that we enquire with specific schools? Is it proper to ask schools about their policies as far as paying for transportation? Can it have a negitive impact on future application?</p>

<p>Hi welldad,</p>

<p>Here are the steps I'd suggest:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Check the individual college forums here on CC, do a Search for "diversity weekend" or something along those lines and see if you can get some hits about programs.</p></li>
<li><p>Check the college websites, look at the admissions page and do a search.</p></li>
<li><p>Call the school admissions office or diversity office if they have one and ask about the program or say that you heard that they had an opportunity for URMs to visit and want to get information.</p></li>
<li><p>Definitely ask about transportation costs if they don't volunteer the information. It will not have a negative impact, admission people recognize that most people cannot afford to spend money for their child to fly out and visit schools for a couple of days.</p></li>
<li><p>Even beyond the list of schools that have organized programs, I have heard that there are colleges, particularly those that have difficulty recruiting URMs (rural LACs, etc.), are sometimes willing to fly out individual students who call up and request a visit. This may be an old wives tale, but it's been talked about here on CC and may be worth a try for a student that is highly recruited by a school.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Are Mexicans considered URMs?
I would be int. in Cornell's "diversity days"</p>

<p>Mexican-Americans are considered URMs, International Mexican students are not.</p>

<p>im a Mex-American.
Sounds awesome</p>

<p>Columbia has some kind of open house. I think it's in the fall.</p>

<p>Penn has a weekend, called Multicultural Scholars Weekend, in April for admitted students. If you get invited you should definitely go. :)</p>

<p>Duke and Notre Dame both have diversity weekends as well. I'll be attending Duke and Vandy's.</p>

<p>what's a urm? I am cuban (give away given my username) and I was just invited to the Cornell Diverity weekend...is that for minorities? Does the Cornell Days work in the same manner???</p>

<p>Scripps had a wonderful Fall visit. Santa Clara University had a spring admit one. A few UC's (Cal, and maybe SB or SC) had spring admit visit's too.</p>

<p>Hi Cubanbrat- I am also Cuban. I an a junior in HS. Had you already applied to Cornell before being invited? Where are you from - do they pay for your travel?
Thanks,
Andrew</p>

<p>Reed also, according to Discovery</a> Weekend welcomes diversity, students on campus - The Phoenix</p>

<p>entomom – i see you posted dartmouth as one of the colleges that offers diversity weekends. Are you talking about Dartmouth Bound? I was invited to apply for Dartmouth Bound, but was unsure whether it is a diversity recruitment program or not. I am a URM, but im not sure whether i was invited because of that or because of my test scores/academics. I’ve looked around CC but havent been able to find much information on the subject. Maybe you could clear that up for me?</p>

<p>bubble,
I’m not sure about the current situation as I don’t keep up with the D subforum these days. But in the past, I’ve heard about 3 weekends, all related to diversity applicants. There was Destinations which occurred in July before Sr year and Bound which was in Oct of Sr year. Dimensions was in April for accepted students.</p>

<p>As far as whether the invitation is based on being a URM or on academics, I’d say both. To find out the current situation, you should start with a Search of the D subforum. If that doesn’t yield answers, start a thread there and ask if others have been asked to apply.</p>

<p>FYI for other hispanic students, my DS yesterday received an email from Williams inviting him on an all expenses paid visit to the college in the fall. It was definitely hispanic related. The payment isn’t automatic, my DS has to supply his transcript and submit an application with one 500 word essay.</p>

<p>About a month ago he also was invited to Texas A&M. They said they would pay his expenses while there but it appeared that we would be on the hook for airfare.</p>

<p>A couple of questions, 1. should he go even if he doesn’t have Williams currently on his list and 2. What has been others experience on these invited visits.</p>

<p>Perhaps we can use this thread for others to list what invited vists (the paid for the school kind) posters have received.</p>

<p>Hope this info is helpful.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>If he thinks it’s a possibility, then sure, the visit may cause him to add it to his list. But if he definitely doesn’t want to apply there for some specific reason (too far away, no major, etc.) that won’t be changed by a visit, then he might want to pass the opportunity on to someone else. Also, my D went on several fly ins and the travel and time away from school can be exhausting, so he may want to just stick to the schools he’s really interested in.</p></li>
<li><p>My D really enjoyed her visits, she saw Amherst in the fall, Rice in the winter just before decisions and WUSTL after decisions. So, A was the only one she visited before applying; even though it was smaller than the rest of the schools she was looking at, the kids were really friendly and I think the visit helped to keep it on her final list.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Bates College
<a href=“http://www.bates.edu/Prebuilt/prologue%20app.pdf[/url]”>http://www.bates.edu/Prebuilt/prologue%20app.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>There’s another thread going on the Williams College section, so I’ll just paste what I had posted on that one:</p>

<p>*I saw that the application asks for family income and includes this statement:</p>

<p>“Please note that preference is given to students that demonstrate financial need.”</p>

<p>My URM son w/high PSAT scores received an invitation, but he probably wouldn’t qualify on the low-income front so I’m not sure if he’ll apply. He hadn’t considered Williams before, and a quick look at their stats indicates it would be a real reach for him considering his so-so GPA.</p>

<p>Good luck to all who are applying. *</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/williams-college/726719-windows-williams-wow.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/williams-college/726719-windows-williams-wow.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;