Do i have a chance in hell?

<p>Hi my name is Tristan, I’m currently a sophmore in high school in CA. And i have been looking at this site for quite a while now. And i was wondering if i even had a chance to make to Alabama or let alone any major University. Well first off last year my grades were poor like really bad I’m talking like Gpa of 1.7 or something around there, i know its bad.I changed schools twice and was just having a lot of personal issues at the time. But at the end of last year when i joined track i immediately fell i love with the sport and i was determined to better in school and make something out my opportunity. So so far this year im doing good and im staying on the right track with A’s and B’s , but i was wondering if i were even to get perfect grades for the rest of high school would it even matter? Would my GPA even go up to a 3. whatever that would get me into a University? I was just curious because if im going to work hard i want to know that it will at least pay off in the end.</p>

<p>So that’s basically it so would my GPA go up if i got my good grades? Because i would love to go to Alabama or Auburn or Florida or even Texas A&M, etc you get the idea. " I Don’t want to go to a instate University and money wont be a problem"</p>

<p>By the way im running Track again this year and for the next 2 years for my High School and last year i did pretty good fro a freshman running a 56 in the 400 and i have my trainer who i work with almost daily, because im trying to get a scholorship for Track but even i know that will be extremely tough. So thats all guys/girls any info or support would be helpful THANK YOU FOR READING THIS TAKE CARE!!</p>

<p>I think if you do well from now on and show an upward trend then you’ll be fine. </p>

<p>Welcome and Roll Tide</p>

<p>Tristan, continue to make your academics your top priority. Track and field is a very difficult sport to land a scholarship. The D-1 schools usually have just 12.5 scholarships to split among all those student athletes (at least that is what I have read and heard from high school coaches). If you have good times and good grades, you will be attractive to many schools. That’s the same message I give my son, who is a distance runner at our high school.</p>

<p>Ya MR i know Track is a difficult sport to do well in so thats why i try not to get my hopes up to much at that end.</p>

<p>And M2CK Thanks for the support!</p>

<p>You lost me when you included the Talibarn in schools you’d love to attend. The most important thing in life you can learn is that auburn SUCKS!!</p>

<p>But it really depends on what you do the rest of the way and what you score on the SAT or ACT test. You could get in to UA with a 2.5 GPA if your test scores are high enough.</p>

<p>Continue to hit the books and take the PSAT this year. then take either the SAT or the ACT as soon as you can your Jr year of HS. Come back and let us know your stats at that point and we can give you a better answer as to your chances.</p>

<p>Talibarn??? NJBama, what will you come up with next? Coming from a family of AuBARN grads…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!</p>

<p>ha NJ im not saying Auburn would be my first choice but im just saying i would love to get into any of those and will do Thanks for the advice ill be sure to stick around here to update you guys</p>

<p>Aim for the best GPA possible. As Bama becomes more selective, Gpa will likely become more important. Good luck.</p>

<p>bamafana, I wish I could claim “Talibarn” as my own. But credit goes to a poster on Tider Insider. </p>

<p>It literally made me laugh out loud when I first saw it and continues to make me laugh to this day every time I see it. A more fitting name I can not imagine.</p>

<p>1) Keep running track it appears it motivates you to keep your grades up and it sounds like you have discovered it is a passion…always follow your passion. If money isn’t a concern for college as you mentioned than continue to strive to earn a scholarship but be realistic about the competition for it. Remember college scholarship or not being involved in sports will influence you in many positive ways the next 3 years and colleges know that. It shows discipline, teamwork, individual goal setting etc., As long as your grades go up and stay up having sports combined with good grades always speaks well on a college application.
2) Work towards achieving a 3.5 GPA each year from here on out and your overall GPA should be in a decent range by Sr. year. You obviously have the potential if you are currently getting A’s/B’s
3) Go to each of your teachers (each year, each class) and tell them your goals in their class as well as your goals for college. Ask for their support and speak with them often if you need extra help. Let them know what grade you are striving for and be sure you understand what you need to do for each class to achieve the grade you need. Most often when a teacher knows you are serious and are really trying they will try to help you any way they can.
4) Talk with your guidance counselor now, let him/her know your goals then make a plan together for the remainder of this year and Jr. and Sr. year that will allow you to achieve them.
5) Put a plan in place to begin studying for ACT’s/SAT’s - get tutors if needed; particularly for the writing area if that is not a strength.
5)When you fill out your college applications as long as you have shown continued and sustained improvement in your grades from her on out, even if a college doesn’t require an essay send a not and be honest about the outstanding circumstances of Freshman year and how you turned your grades around since then. Colleges will appreciate that you overcame a challenge, recognized the importance of getting your education, and that you learned to balance good grades and participation/contribution to a sport.
Good Luck! And most of all believe you can achieve what you set out to do!</p>