Do I have a chance to appeal for a Presidential Scholarship?

<p>I got into UA’s Honors College with a 3.93 gpa and a 31 ACT. I received 2/3 tuition, but I heard that, since I am so close to a 32 (I got a 31.25 that would have been bumped up to a 32 if I had just gotten a few more answers correct), I could potentially appeal to my admissions counselor to receive the Presidential Scholarship. I have some scholarship offers at other schools, one of which is instate, so I would need to receive more scholarship money at Alabama if I were to go there next year. Over the past few months, I have fallen in love with everything about Bama, so I would really appreciate any ideas on how realistic it would be for me to receive scholarships/aid for next year. </p>

<p>Some more about me:
Class President (9-12), VP of NEHS, Co-President of French NHS, National Honor Society, 150-200 hours of community service, active in extracurriculars, honors/ap classes throughout high school, etc.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I haven’t heard of people getting bumped up to a Presidential without having the stats.</p>

<p>However, those who major in Engineering or Comp Science who have an ACT 30 or 31 do get the other 1/3 tuition scholarshp plus 2500 per year from the CoE. So that’s full tuition plus 2500 per year.</p>

<p>won’t hurt to ask.</p>

<p>If you ask, I’d tell them what scholarship offers you have from other schools and explain that it won’t be possible for you to attend Bama without more scholarship money. I don’t know if it’s possible, but you can always ask.</p>

<p>There are also departmental scholarships available, and need-based financial aid if you qualify. You could also look for outside scholarships, since you have great all-around stats.</p>

<p>If you love Bama, I wouldn’t give up, even if they aren’t able to give you the presidential scholarship. I feel like there have to be other options for someone with stats like yours.</p>

<p>Thanks! I’ll do some research on what scholarships are available in and outside the university itself, and I’ll be sure to do what you suggested when I meet with the college next month! :)</p>

<p>FaithLoveHope,</p>

<p>First, congrats on the achievements in high school! Second, go for the outside scholarships. UA is generous when it comes to financial aid, but where they fall short, they allow you to stack on some outside money. I applied for all the outside scholarships I could get my hands on last year (around this time of year, too). Because of that, I was able to add a considerable amount to the already hefty package that Bama offered. You’ll be competitive for local scholarships, for sure!
Also - any chance of retaking the ACT? Just once more? Or maybe the SAT if you haven’t tried it. . . I found that even though I did well on the ACT, I actually preferred the SAT test format and made a higher score.</p>

<p>I do not doubt that your conversation with those in charge will be fruitful, but I’m trying to give options in case it isn’t.</p>

<p>Let me know if you have any questions for a current UA student! I’m a freshman in the Honors Program (and CBH), and I had stats similar to yours in high school.</p>

<p>Best of luck and Roll Tide! :)</p>

<p>That’s really helpful! When did you find out if you received more scholarships from UA? I filled out the application about a month ago. I was going to retake the ACT, but I found out when I got my acceptance letter that October was the last ACT that could count toward the presidential scholarship. I was bummed, but I’ll look at outside scholarships for sure! Were there any scholarships for Alabama students that you applied for? Sometimes there are scholarships from alumni or outside businesses, but I haven’t been able to find any for University of Alabama.</p>

<p>I’m confused, FLH. Aren’t you an Eng’g major?! If so, which branch of eng’g? If not, what are you planning on studying? My S has had great luck w/ outside scholarships - I can point you in a direction if want - PM if necessary.</p>

<p>Ah, I see. Bummer! :confused: Well, I was actually National Merit, so I didn’t look for more money directly through the school. All the extra scholarships I got were through local organizations/online scholarships, which I found out about through my guidance department. Since National Merit didn’t cover meal plans, I was able to make up the difference there with outside money. Maybe you could check with your guidance counselor? Mine always kept an updated list of scholarship opportunities on my high school’s website.</p>

<p>Aeromom: I’m actually planning on majoring in business. I’ve heard they have great scholarship offers for engineering students, but I’ve never been a big math person so engineering probably wouldn’t be the best match for me. Did your son find a lot of local scholarships, or were there any national/UA scholarships he had luck with? I’ve been searching online (cappex and similar sites) for scholarships, but a lot are really vague and have a ton of people applying for them.</p>

<p>TNTide5: I’ll check with my counselor! Hopefully, more scholarships will become available as we get closer to spring. My town has some really good scholarships from alumni and local organizations, so I’m definitely planning on applying for those.</p>