Presidential Scholarship question

<p>Hey I have a question about the presidential scholarship</p>

<p>The site shows it as</p>

<p>Presidential Scholar:</p>

<p>“An out-of-state first-time freshman student who meets the December 1st scholarship priority deadline, has a 32-36 ACT or 1400-1600 SAT score and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive the value of out-of-state tuition for four years.”</p>

<p>I have above a 3.5 and 32 ACT, so if I apply, do I receive this scholarship? That’s what it seems like, but I was kind of thinking that only a select few students receive this…
So is the presidential scholar award just based off ACT and GPA, or are qualifying students further selected to receive it??? Probably a dumb question, I know</p>

<p>You’ll get it - nothing else to do but apply. Its automatic if you meet the requirements.</p>

<p>Dang that’s so sweet, just have to pay room and board</p>

<p>The presidential scholarship is a great deal. Note that scholarships do not cover course/technology fees, which aren’t much (yet), but do add up. Figure about $17 per credit.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I just wanted to make sure that you know that to get the scholarship you have to …</p>

<p>Apply to UA by Dec 1 (so do it now) :slight_smile: very ez online app…takes like 3 minutes!! No essay!</p>

<p>Do the online scholarship application by Dec 1. You may have to wait a few days after you apply to UA to get your mybama logon ID to “log in” to do the scholarship app (another reason to apply NOW to UA… :slight_smile: ). The scholarship app is also very ez. </p>

<p>Make sure that your SAT/ACT is sent to UA</p>

<p>Make sure that your HS transcript is sent to UA</p>

<p>Also apply to UHP (university honors program). [Honors</a> College - University Honors](<a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=uhp]Honors”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=uhp) </p>

<p>You’ll get accepted to UHP :slight_smile: and then you’ll have access to the honors perks…priority registration, UHP classes, honor dorms, etc. The application to UHP is very easy and requires a short (like one paragraph) essay.</p>

<p>Feel free to also apply to any other honors program…they can be found thru the same link. Look on the gray stripe for the other links :)</p>

<p>You should get your acceptance within a short time after UA receives your stats. :)</p>

<p>Your scholarship info should come shortly after you do the scholarship app and UA has received your HS transcript and ACT or SAT records.</p>

<p>I have 2 boys at UA, and they love it.</p>

<p>Good luck. Let us know what happens. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Do you guys know any other colleges that have similar scholarships</p>

<p>Thanks for the Honors link. Add that to the essay list.</p>

<p>auburn</p>

<p>miss state</p>

<p>lsu</p>

<p>u south carolina</p>

<p>i am sure there are others, but those are the ones that we had interest in.</p>

<p>I’ll add U Pittsburgh to the list of similar scholarships, though they aren’t automatic like those at UA. I got full tuition and business school (graduate) admission along with a comparable offer at U South Carolina, but UA had the best offer and was the best school for me, even if South Carolina is good for International Business.</p>

<p>^^^
yea, but then you’d have to spend 4 years in Pittsburgh…ugh!</p>

<p>BTW…doesn’t it border a dangerous neighborhood? Or, am I confusing Pitt with another school??</p>

<p>I never looked into it much, the thought of 4 years of snow scared me. It’s next to Carnegie Mellon AFAIK. Alabama’s warm weather is so much better. Pitt is just just quite unique in the list of public schools with good scholarships because of it’s more northern location. For some reason or another, many students (and/or their parents) don’t want to go to school in Dixie. UA is the university version of “Sweet Home Alabama” in response to this “Southern Man”-type view. (Note to future UA students, learn the words to “Sweet Home Alabama,” it’s essential.)</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>There’s nothing like being in Bryant-Denny Stadium for a football game and the music starts playing, “Sweet Home Alabama.” Not many schools have a famous song that works as well. Thank you Lynyrd Skynyrd. :)</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>LOL…actually the parents can be even more close-minded…memories from the 60s, I guess. </p>

<p>As the for the weather…oh yes…DS turned down a full-tuition scholarship PLUS from Fordham because of the cold weather. Since we’ve only lived in warm climates, son knew he’d never be the hat, gloves, scarf, heavy winter coat, type. (Heck, he’d probably lose his gloves and/or hat within the first week of cold. LOL)</p>

<p>I’d think trekking thru a campus everyday during very cold windy weather would get old very fast. :(</p>

<p>RONDIZZLE27</p>

<p>The Auburn and Alabama scholarships are almost identical.
My daughter has her heart set on Auburn but we’ll be visiting Alabama next Friday.</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids: My youngest son is learning to play Yea Alabama on his sax – a birthday present for his Alabama-attending older brother. He also owns five UA t-shirts. In other words, he knows where he wants to go in five years.</p>

<p>Navarre…</p>

<p>Hope the visit goes well. Make sure you get to see the UA honors dorms; it’s not included on the regular tour. </p>

<p>If you’d like, read thru the campus tour tips thread (the shorter one).</p>

<p>Momreads…</p>

<p>LOL about your younger son. At first, my younger said, “I’m not going to the same school as my brother.” But, then after being on the campus a few times, he only wanted to apply to Alabama. (I made him apply to a few more schools… LOL )</p>

<p>dont forget UAB with a 33 act you get a full ride! tuition and room and board if alabama resident but for out of state here they are:</p>

<p>UAB Scholarships Out-of-State Residents </p>

<p>New freshmen are automatically considered for all university-wide academic scholarships once they are accepted to UAB. All scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served bases as funds are available. It is important that you apply early and are admitted to UAB by December 1. Apply on-line at [Prospective</a> Students (Apply)](<a href=“Error 404 | Not Found”>http://www.uab.edu/apply).</p>

<p>Blazer Elite</p>

<p>$9,000
Based on academic achievement (28 ACT and at least 3.8 GPA)
Blazer Gold</p>

<p>$5,500
Based on academic achievement (26 ACT and at least 3.5 GPA)
Blazer Achievement</p>

<p>$3,500
Based on academic achievement (26 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)
Blazer Pride</p>

<p>$2,500
Based on academic achievement (24 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)
NOTE: Students receiving UAB merit based scholarships are required to live on campus for their first year of enrollment.</p>

<p>So since im out of state I can’t get the full tuition + housing at UAB? Or am I reading it wrong?</p>

<p>Ron…
I forget…are you in HS, or are you a transfer student?</p>

<p>If you’re in HS, are you a NMSF? </p>

<p>The OOS for UAB would not give you any housing. Since the OOS tuition for UAB is $11,480, none of those listed scholarships would cover all of the tuition for an OOS student. With your stats, UA is a better deal; UA covers all OOS tuiton and will increase its scholly as tution increases each year (while UAB scholarship is a set amount that won’t change).</p>

<p>Im in high school… and no im not a NMSF. Wasn’t it the PSAT that you needed to take to get that? Whatever test it was, I never knew about it until last year and I never took it</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Ok…with your stats…</p>

<p>If you apply by Dec 1 (to school and schollies), you’ll get full OOS tuition to UA (worth about $80,000 :slight_smile: . Depending on the major that you list on your apps, you likely would get more money. (for instance, for Engineering major, you’d get another $2500 per year). </p>

<p>so…</p>

<p>Have you applied (EZ apps, takes very little time)</p>

<p>what is your major?</p>

<p>Have you done the online tour?</p>

<p>Have you looked around the website?</p>

<p>Can you do a campus visit? </p>

<p>Are you going to watch The Crimson Tide kick South Carolina’s hiney tomorrow night on TV ? ( LOL jk )</p>

<p>:)</p>