Do most parents attend freshman orientation?

<p>I know there are programs for parents of students but it seems like we have some of that information already. Does anyone know if it is helpful for parents to attend orientation?</p>

<p>Yes. However, take a look at the agenda and see if any of the sessions are different for you. I was an alumni and skipped most of the sessions that were for parents only given I didn’t need to hear about financial aid or health services, etc. so we just roamed around town instead. </p>

<p>You should attend. The program is well-organized and the speakers stay on schedule. The topics are relevant. You can learn a lot even if you already are very familiar with the University. You and your student will be better prepared for your student’s freshman year. I knew one student who did not complete the first semester of his freshman year. Had one of his parents attended the freshman orientation sessions, I think there would have been a different outcome. I can’t go into specifics but many of the behaviors that led to the student not returning were discussed during Orientation, including early identification and available resources. </p>

<p>Thank you! We will be sure to pick dates when we are able to attend.</p>

<p>During my orientation, you were actually in the minority if your parents weren’t with you. </p>

<p>Oh thank you so much, wouldn’t want that!</p>

<p>Related question – do most students have one or both parents with them? </p>

<p>It was a real mix. From 1 parent, to 2 parents. to some that even had siblings walking around with them (think they discourage this). </p>

<p>I went my my son last summer… It was very informative, and when he was having trouble getting his schedule to work I was glad I was there to help point him in the right direction to get it worked out. He’s a pretty resourceful kid, but sometimes it’s still good to have a void of reason and experience. Plus, I got the bonus of meeting his roommate and his parents and getting to spend some fun time getting to known them. Be sure to go to the parent reception, tons of fun!</p>

<p>I really appreciate the information everyone. Thank you!</p>