Do we still have a chance?

My S22 has a lower SAT 1400, applied 8 schools that is kind of like reach/target schools, He has GPA4.8 and ACT 33, 8APs. I heard UM, CMU, BU, BC, NU, Tufts, UMass are all getting harder this year because a lot of more applicants than last year. Do you think he still have a chance to get in those schools? We are trying to see if we should convince him to apply 1 or 2 safe schools(some schools application are due on 2/1). Any advice?

UM and NU are EA, The others are RD

So stressful, thank you very much!

What state do you live in?

Yes, your S absolutely needs at least one affordable safety school, ideally two. Even prior to this year all of those schools are competitive to get into. We don’t know your S’s unweighted GPA, rigor, AP test scores, or intended major, but all of those schools could be reaches, a couple could be matches.

Are all of the schools on the list affordable per their Net price calculators?

4 Likes

These aren’t target / reach. They are reach especially if he’s a CS major. Did you apply to your state flagship ? Ok. I’ll assume Mass is your state and hopefully you are not CS.

That list has nearly always been heavy.

Hopefully you get into UMASS. But there are always ‘late’ schools you can get into and with big money…Alabama and Arizona to name a few. Or since you are in the NE check out the dates for UVM, Pitt (too late for merit), UNH, URI, Maine….if apps still open so that u have something as a back up. All of those would be safeties.

I assume you are full pay and ok. If not Bama, Arizona, and throw in UAH will save you tons of $$. They are loaded with OOS kids.

I hope you are not CS. Then UMASS a likely but I’d add one more. If CS a couple safeties.

Btw both test scores are great but not for the top. The ACT is 98th percentile and SAT 95th.

Btw if you are full pay a school like Tufts will love you more.

1 Like

If he doesn’t apply to a safety, defined as certain admit and affordable at your budget, there’s a chance he’ll get locked out. There’s no reason for this in CS. He can have a great career with a degree from a LOT of schools.

5 Likes

Another vote for applying to some Safe schools that are pretty much guaranteed admission, affordable and that he is willing to attend. CS is a tough admit at many schools, so unless he is wiling to attend your local community college, add 1-2 more schools. Better to error on the side of caution…

1 Like

Every student should have 1 -2 safety schools on their list!

2 Likes

NY, math and chemistry major

Is it too late to apply to some SUNYs?

2 Likes

Did he apply to any SUNY schools?

2 Likes

Rochester, Syracuse

he doesn’t talk to us about college that much, we have limited information. We just learned that he did apply Rochester and Syracuse.

2 Likes

Those are private universities. They are not SUNY colleges (State University of New York). The SUNY colleges are public universities….and if you are a resident of NY (not international) there is at least one SUNY school that would be a safety for admissions….and possibly for cost as well.

2 Likes

You will be paying the bills, correct? That being the case, I would suggest some conversation about costs. Can you afford the costs to attend the colleges to which he has applied? Did you run the Net Price Calculators for these colleges?

It would be a shame to get to the end of all this and find that either he doesn’t get accepted…or that where he does get accepted, the costs are not affordable.

5 Likes

Those aren’t safeties, but a step in the right direction. I think the SUNY deadlines have passed (Bing and StonyBrook were Jan 15), but maybe not for all, you might check.

I do think UMass may be a match (but it’s still unclear), now that we know he applied for a math and/or chem major. Does his school use Naviance to help know how he compares to others from his HS who have been accepted?

What is his unweighted GPA core courses only? AP test scores? What math class does he have this year?

What about affordability? Have you run the net price calculators at all these schools?

1 Like

His GPA is unweighted 4.8. Current APs scores are all 5. There are two more APs will be taking in May.

@sybbie719 are any SUNY schools still taking applications for fall 2022?

Right, those colleges are the ones he chose.

The unweighted GPA is on a 4.0 scale. So, take core courses only (Math, Eng, Sci, SS, FL) and give 4 points for As, 3 for Bs and so on, and get total number of points and divide by the number of total classes for all semesters you have of grades (probably 7). What is that? What AP classes has he had?

Is you son a citizen/green card holder, or is he applying as an international?

1 Like