Does VT give OOS student any chances for instate tuition for neighboring states like NC?

VT is my daughters dream school but we live in NC. I have been trying to find if VT offers any instate tuition options if your grades/scores are exceptional. No luck. Does anyone have any tips? Thank you so much for any advice!

@Niblets No, to my knowledge VT does not offer in state tuition rates for OOS applicants based on merit. It’s possible they may have a program like some other schools do re: if they offer a major that your in-state schools do not they may adjust tuition rates. Best to call admissions and/or the registrar with this kind of question

It’s called Academic Common Market but unfortunately North Carolina does not participate in the program as if a few years ago

Unfortunately even if NC was still participating, VT isn’t one of the schools within VA that offers programs.

Thank you so much for all your replies! My daughter is OOS, SAT 1330 and 4.3 GPA and applied to COE for Computer Science. She was accepted the NC State and Clemson but VT is her 1st choice but it’s so hard to pay OOS tuition. Good luck to everyone and as always, thanks for the great advice this group offers!

@Niblets We should switch kids. My son got into NC State and really likes it but probably wont go due to cost. He hasnt heard back from VT but we are in state VA.

@jgwolf Agree! I hate to tell my daughter no to her 1st choice as she has worked so hard but have just had a niece and nephew who graduated college in the last 5 years and so glad they stayed in state vs out due to the money. If you can find an in state school that gives you the same bang for your buck…do it. The extra 80K each of us would be paying is crazy. Good luck to your son! Hopefully they will hear soon!