Don't Judge a Man by his "A" Hat

<p>This thread made me laugh. I was getting off work last week and while stuck in traffic, a truck next to me was laying into his horn. I was about ready to flip him off when he tipped his “A” hat to me as he passed. I saw the Roll Tide sticker on his truck and realized he saw the Alabama Dad on mine. I don’t get Roll Tides too often in Texas, but enjoy it when I do. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>If I see an indication I am in good company, such as the “A” on the road, I will give a quick three horn toot as if to say “Roll Tide Roll”. If I see a visual indicator of a clearly delusional individual, such as purple and gold, or orange and blue, I am tempted to show them just how they rank! :)</p>

<p>Living as close to the Louisiana border, I see a lot of vehicles with Losing State University stickers. On the other hand, with my kid having to drive all the way across LA to get to Tuscaloosa, I have to remind him that a truck with Texas plates and a big “A” sticker makes him a ripe target for the Louisiana State Highway Patrol.</p>

<p>Okay, Texandad’s story reminded me of an experience related to me by DS:</p>

<p>DS is teen-age freshman. On one of his first road trips home for a break (during football season) a fellow motorist began seriously harassing him on the highway - flipping him off, pulling up next to him and shouting at him through the window, pulling ahead of him and stomping on brakes, you get the idea. DS is a careful, respectful driver, and knowing that he did nothing to elicit that craziness figured the young man in the other car (who touted allegiance to a rival college all over his vehicle) must have seen son’s ‘Crimson Tide’ license plate cover and took offense. DS did everything he could think of - slowed down, refused to respond - to no avail. Suddenly, two other motorists came to his aid, working together to block that moron from my son until he eventually sped off. At that point, one driver pulled ahead of my son, the other, behind and they drove that way for miles until exiting. Son noticed that both drivers sported Alabama markings on their cars as well. He thought it was especially awesome that the older gentleman in front drove a gray car, while the younger man in back was in black - son’s car is red. He definitely felt like they were ‘Rolling Tide’ :)</p>

<p>A SINCERE “Bless Your Hearts” to those wonderful drivers, whoever they are!</p>