Dorms Engineering priority housing

<p>Hi, I have been admitted to the engineering college, Bama is definitely a top choice, but I’m still not decided. I see that priority housing deposit is due today? Since I am not enrolled, what do you recommend I do? is the deposit refundable? Also, what are the best dorms for engineering students,close to my classes. Also, I did not get into honors college but plan to apply in the fall semester, am I able to apply for honors housing if I am not yet in the Honor College.</p>

<p>you can’t be in honors housing if you don’t start in honors. </p>

<p>But, you can be in Bryant Housing (if you’re male) since that is an eng’g dorm that isn’t honors.</p>

<p>'Since I am not enrolled, what do you recommend I do? is the deposit refundable? Also, what are the best dorms for engineering students,close to my classes. '</p>

<p>yes, the housing deposit is refundable. BUT, you have to submit your enrollment deposit first…and the enrollment deposit isn’t refundable. </p>

<p>You can also choose to be in one of the non-honors super suites that are close to Eng’g…such as Riverside East. </p>

<p>I don’t know what AP or college credits you’ll be coming in with, but if you won’t be coming in with many or any, then your first year will be spend taking a mix of classes, so being close to eng’g won’t be as important. </p>

<p>'Also, I did not get into honors college but plan to apply in the fall semester,"</p>

<p>Can you clarify? Do you not yet have the right stats? </p>

<p>If so, do you mean that you’ll apply AFTER the fall semester?</p>

<p>Right now I dont have the stats to apply but I am confident i will maintain a 3.3+ in College to apply after the Fall</p>

<p>If I don’t do priority housing what do you think are my chances of getting into Bryant or Riverside East? What percent would you say go priority?</p>

<p>I don’t know what percent. I’m guessing a large number of kids do. </p>

<p>Bryant and Riverside are pricey housing. Have you asked your parents about paying for those?</p>

<p>No, which others do you recommend that are not as pricey?</p>

<p>Burke is less expensive. What budget have your parents given you? Ask them if you don’t know.</p>

<p>My son is also non-honors Chemical Engineering that deposited for housing the end of January. Do you think he will have a decent shot at getting into the non honors Engineering Living/Learning Community in Bryant? He did get an e-mail that since he deposited before 2/1/14 he can choose his room online but he will be picking rather late(5/8) based on the picking order contained on the housing website. My wife an I are both onboard with him living in a suite that is more expensive then a traditional dorm.(him living in a suite at UA is still cheaper than him living in a box size dorm room at our state flagship)Also, is there some special procedure to get into Eng Living/Learning or does it automatically come up as a choice when your time to choose housing comes up?Thanks in advance for any help!</p>

<p>Here is excerpt from an email about recontracting that my S received from UA Housing - note the info about where returning Honors students can choose housing. It does not yet say which dorms are specifically designated Honors housing. (That’s the way I interpret this email.) The deadline for returning students to pay their deposit was last Fri, Feb 14, so UA Housing will soon figure out how much space they have and will probably send out another email about which dorm spaces are specifically designated as Honors and which are non-Honors.</p>

<p>The following information about room selection may help you determine whether you want to live on campus in the fall. Please consider carefully before your submit your deposit and contract.
• Somerville is available only for freshmen. Current residents cannot return to Somerville Hall.
• Bryant Hall is available only for freshman Engineering students. Current Engineering students cannot return to Bryant Hall.
• Residents of Blount Hall must be Blount scholars to return to Blount next year.
• You must be in the Honors College and currently living in Honors Housing, or in the Honors College and currently living in Harris Hall, Blount Hall, the Lofts, Riverside East, North or West, Lakeside East or West, Presidential or Bryant Hall, in order to select a space in Honors Housing.
• You must be living in a suite-style building, or the Lofts, at the time of room selection in order to select a space in a suite-style building.
• Highlands building C and part of E will be dedicated to a living-learning community next year. As previously notified, current residents will not be able to return to certain rooms there.
• Students living in small group housing in Smith Woods cannot select space in their house during room selection. That information will come from an interested student’s organization.</p>

<p>Also, re the living/learning communities, I seem to recall that this is not necessarily an automatic choice that gets flagged up - you must seek it out, and there are limited spaces in these communities. For some, you have to apply to these communities, and then that may determine which housing choices you have. Several other ‘learning’ communities are not actually living together arrangements at all, but just the students have 2 or 3 of the same basic classes together (i.e., the same section of Hon Engl and/or same section of Hon Chem etc.) but live anywhere on campus and are not grouped together for living purposes - only for study/class purposes. One huge advantage of signing up for this learning ‘cluster’ of courses is that you had instant study buddies and the class size was very small and taught by an awesome professor. There were about a dozen of these clusters, and I recall spending a great deal of time with S debating whether he should sign up for one of these. In the end, the schedule did not fit his eng’g schedule so he couldn’t sign up. </p>

<p>The best thing to do for living/learning communities is to contact someone at either UA Housing or UA Honors college directly and ask questions. Don’t delay, tho, spaces are limited for these. </p>

<p>Aeromom, thanks for the info however my son is only an incoming Freshman so I don’t think the recontracting info applies to him. He is trying to get into Engineering Living/Learning as a Freshman. They do not chose until May.</p>

<p>Pgddad, if your student is enrolled in the Engineering College, he will automatically see Bryant Hall as an option. It’s hard to say from year to year which buildings will fill up first, as the interest of the students selecting differs each year.</p>

<p>Hope this helps,
Janine</p>

<p>Thank You! Very kind of you to answer on this forum. I am impressed with UA already!!!</p>

<p>Question for Janine in UA Housing:<br>
I copied the two items below from a few posts up regarding returning students and housing. (Does this mean if my son decides to live in Mary Burke Hall his first year to save some money, he does NOT have the option of moving to a suite-style dorm for his sophomore year? I guess I don’t understand why that would be, especially now that there is more housing available with new dorms opening, etc.??? Seems like UA might be telling Burke Hall kids they are not “good enough” for suite-style later on? Sorry, but that is honestly sort of what it looks like. Or am I misreading it?? Any information on this issue is appreciated. Thanks much!)</p>

<p>• You must be in the Honors College and currently living in Honors Housing, or in the Honors College and currently living in Harris Hall, Blount Hall, the Lofts, Riverside East, North or West, Lakeside East or West, Presidential or Bryant Hall, in order to select a space in Honors Housing.
• You must be living in a suite-style building, or the Lofts, at the time of room selection in order to select a space in a suite-style building.</p>

<p>^^
I guess the same question applies to girls in Tutweiller. Why would they not be able to request housing in suite-style dorms for sophomore year? Thanks for any input, Janine or anyone in UA Housing.</p>

<p>Determinations on space allocation within our residence halls have to do with maintaining a variety of spaces in different locations for incoming freshmen, who must live on campus. Returning students have many options, both on campus and in the community. If finances are a concern, one might want to consider a suite-style building the first year, then moving into one of the apartment-style buildings in subsequent years as a way to reduce cost while still achieving a greater degree of autonomy for the student.</p>

<p>Hope this helps,
Janine</p>

<p>Thanks for responding, Janine. I’m sure it is a complex situation!</p>