Dual Degree questions from Junior parent

I did not know this was what this program was, we are visiting Yale spring break and will definitely look into it, thank you!

Nice that there is no additional cost for the Yale MM, which isn’t true for many double degrees.

1 Like

yes, and that you can apply once you are there. We have to do some digging though, the main professor for his instrument is leaving this year, and of course Yale is an extremely tough admit, our HS sends one kid every other year.

My son is also a junior and researching dual degree programs. I am curious, does “successful audition before matriculation" mean Yale’s MM audition opportunity only is available after Yale general admission?

My understanding is that for programs like Harvard-NEC and Columbia-Juilliard, the applications to two different schools will happen in parallel. And most conservatory auditions will finish before non-music tracks’ regular decision time frame.

I believe this may answer your question - there are two separate applications before admission as an undergrad:

From the Yale application instructions:

B.A./M.M. applicants

Applying as a prospective Yale College student
B.A./M.M. applicants who are high school seniors must submit applications to both Yale College and Yale School of Music for the same academic year. The two applications are entirely independent of each other.

The application deadline for the next academic year is December 1 for the School of Music and January 2 for Yale College. If you qualify for a fee waiver with your Yale College application, we will also waive your School of Music application fee.

Live auditions will be held for applicants who pass the prescreening round, and attendance is required. The School of Music’s Admissions Office will notify applicants of prescreening results by the end of January and of live audition results by early April.

2 Likes

Gettysburg/Sunderman should be on the list as though it is not dual degree, the student can double major and doesn’t need to decide whether BM or BA right away.

Would you mind DM’g me which schools/studios discouraged it?

1 Like

I will DM you! I do think so much can be dependant on who you cross paths with in a first sample lesson and can vary widely by individual teachers and instrument. I don’t want to seem like I have some special insight and there most certainly ARE students doing double degree places where my kid was told no.

1 Like

@StringNE Regarding Yale: The point is that you can apply for the dual degree before attending (as @Spirit Manager described, with two separate applications and an audition) OR at the end of junior year.

3 Likes