Dynamic Interview for Marquis Awards

I know in past years, Lafayette invited some applicants to campus on a Saturday in the winter to participate in their dynamic selection process for the Marquis scholarship awards. I’m assuming if they are doing something similar this year, it will be virtual. I was wondering if anyone knows anything. Are they still doing it this year? Or will Lafayette base its decision on the students’ applications and interviews that have already been submitted? Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

We haven’t heard anything about interviews yet. From what I remember reading on their website, they let us know in the award letter if our kids have been selected. Wish I could be of more help, but I’m sure your admissions counselor would be happy to answer this question. Please keep us posted!

1 Like

Thank you, MomBakes4Boys! If we learn anything, I’ll send you a message.

1 Like

My child received an invite to this today. It will be virtual over two different days in Feb.

2 Likes

Congratulations to your child! Thank you for letting me know. Was the invitation sent via email?

Yes. The email explains that you are a Marquis award finalist and provides registration links for the virtual sessions.

And thank you!

1 Like

Congratulations and best of luck!

D21 is participating in this experience this week on Saturday. I know she is looking forward to it. It was quite the honor just to be selected.

2 Likes

I know this thread is a year old, but hoping someone is still active. My son applied and was accepted ED to Lafayette for class of 2026. Our financial situation has unfortunately changed for the worse in the last month. He was invited to participate in the marquis assessment at the end of the month. Merit is very crucial at this point. Anyone have any guidance how the process works? My son is a bit nervous how a group project on zoom works. Thanks!

I don’t know if this year will be any different, but I can speak to last year’s based upon what my D experienced. Last year they had everyone together in one zoom where kids were asked to introduce themselves and speak a little about their interests and experiences. Then they introduced a topic/problem before splitting into smaller breakout groups. Each breakout was about 6 people and was observed by a Lafayette representative (who didn’t participate in the discussion). They were tasked with coming up with a solution to the given topic based upon their own diverse experiences and backgrounds and then when everyone came back together each group would “present” their results. It was low-key, no stress type of activity. It appeared primarily intended to assess how each kid took initiative, spoke and reasoned, worked in groups, etc. Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.

1 Like

Thanks send you a message.

Lafayette meets 100% of demonstrated need. I would contact the FA office first thing and tell them of your new circumstances.

1 Like

What is an assessment exactly and is it only for shortlisted kids?

1 Like

I went through this process last year, so things may have changed for this cycle and the next. Admissions will review everyone’s application for a merit scholarship (including ED applicants). From all the applications they will select 125 finalists to potentially receive the Marquis Fellowship (full tuition). Finalists are emailed sometime in January and will participate in a Dynamic Assessment Event. RandomGuy62 has a good summary of what happens there. Hope that answered your question!

1 Like

So relieved to find this thread. It sounds like every applicant has a chance to be invited to this, even if you applied ED and are locked in. Right?

I know this is an old thread, but my daughter was invited this year. Any additional insight as to the format of the weekend and discussion topics would be greatly appreciated!

When and how did she receive the invitation? Congrats!

Via email yesterday.

1 Like

And thank you!

Hello! I have been selected as a finalist for 2023. Can I get your email/any social media to ask a few questions about the Marquis & Lafayette Awards (assessment process)? Please PM me if you don’t mind it. Thank you in advance.