E-mail from Harvard

<p>Hey guys,
who else receive email that began like this...
"On behalf of the African-American students at Harvard College we would like to congratulate you on your strong high school performance."</p>

<p>And the application package they sent out?</p>

<p>What did you guys think?
Is anyone applying?</p>

<p>Just wondering :)</p>

<p>I got the application packet in the mail along with a letter that had something to do with being black (can’t remember exactly what) and I probably would have gotten the email, but my address got deactivated. :(</p>

<p>

I received the email too. I think it’s part of a mass email marketing. I believe Asian and Latino students received something similar as there was’ was a thread about this not too long ago:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1017870-i-got-email-asian-american-community-harvard-urging-me-apply-did.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1017870-i-got-email-asian-american-community-harvard-urging-me-apply-did.html&lt;/a&gt;

I’ll probably apply.</p>

<p>Same here. I was impressed that Harvard isn’t too proud to woo; it was a very nice email. Still not applying, though. :p</p>

<p>The email is sent out as a part of the Undergraduate Minority Recruitment Program, which was launched in an effort to diversify the student population. It doesn’t guarantee anything, so don’t blow it out of proportion. However, I would invite you to make use of the option provided to get in touch with current students (if that was provided in the email you received; I know it was in mine last year).</p>

<p>“It doesn’t guarantee anything, so don’t blow it out of proportion.”</p>

<p>I know, I know. </p>

<p>I agree with daydream11-
I was just surprised I guess (slightly amused), it seems like Harvard wouldn’t have to…</p>

<p>I got it too. I deleted it because I don’t like Harvard.</p>

<p>I got an application packet a while back with a long letter and stuff, but it wasnt for African-American students, as I’m caucasian. haha. I thought it was funny though, because I’m pretty sure I dont have a snowball’s chance at Harvard.</p>

<p>

I’m not the biggest fan of Harvard, but I didn’t delete the message. Kinda surprised you did that</p>

<p>"I was just surprised I guess (slightly amused), it seems like Harvard wouldn’t have to… "</p>

<p>The top unis have expended considerable money and man-hours to make sure their name gets to pools where an “Ivy” seems inaccessible. Truly, they are going after “diamonds in the rough” That means urban schools, rural schools – non-traditional places.</p>

<p>They really want interesting applicants and hopefully matriculants. I know b/c I assist my alma mater (one of Harvard’s peers) as they actively recruit in my former school. district.</p>

<p>“I got it too. I deleted it because I don’t like Harvard.”</p>

<p>That’s pretty funny. If you get a chance, definitely go to Harvard for the job opportunities if nothing else.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s no reason to attend Harvard - you can get equally good job prospects from its peer institutions. The only tipping factor might be financial aid.</p>

<p>“That’s no reason to attend Harvard - you can get equally good job prospects from its peer institutions. The only tipping factor might be financial aid.”</p>

<p>Harvard has more prestige than other Ivies, and yes, it also has better financial aid.</p>

<p>

For most people this is true, but for some upper middle class families, and ‘rich’ families, attending a state flagship university would be more affordable.

Perhaps another reason may be its perceived prestige?</p>

<p>Hopefully, it also offers a good quality education and is filled with talented kids. Otherwise, my D wouldn’t be applying.</p>

<p>^Yes, but there’s a bunch of other schools that offer a quality education and are also filled with talented kids. What really sets Harvard apart is mainly it’s prestige, IMO.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is correct - Harvard was actually one of my more expensive options, given my financial background.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Honestly, that’s what much of the hype surrounding Harvard boils down to.</p>

<p>So then, ksarmand, do you “recommend” Harvard for high-achieving AAs? My D is, like everyone else, in the heat of applications and she has already submitted her Harvard App. However, she also has some other non-Ivy schools on her list that she likes. Just curious to have an opinion from someone who has recently gone through it all.</p>

<p>dignified1, </p>

<p>She should go to an Ivy. It doesn’t matter if it’s Harvard as long as it’s an Ivy. I think the financial aid at most Ivies halts at around 160k, but even accounting for tuition, Harvard and kin are still well worth the money in employment returns. </p>

<p>State schools are crap and anyone who says differently is a liar.</p>

<p>This whole “education is better” ■■■■■■■■ is stupid. </p>

<p>You can receive a good education at a damn community college. What sets Ivies apart are prestige, student quality, resources, and most importantly, employment possibilities.</p>

<p>

Guess that makes me a liar because I don’t think schools like UC-Berkeley, Michigan, and UVA are crap.</p>