Early Action Class of 2023 - VT

Last year honors came out with decisions even though note on portal said it would come out two weeks later

@Jason128 - where are you seeing that message? When I log into the portal - I go to “guest account”, Applicant Information, Application Summary, Processed Applications - Fall 2019. This is where I see the SRAR date that changed but nothing else. Are you seeing your message in the same place?

It is below the SRAR box. It’s not in a box. Just verbiage underneath it. It says: If you are invited to participate in the Honors College, the word “invited” will be reflected in the box above. Please note: Early Decision notifications for the Honors College will be posted by December 15, 2018. Early Action and Regular Decision notifications will be posted by March 15, 2019.

It is bizarre. My daughter’s page does not have anything under the SRAR box other than a link to return to the main menu. I will try not to read anything into it. Can’t wait until Friday!!

I wouldn’t. I’m worried about my son just getting in - not about Honors - so I think it’s just a fluke that some have that note and some don’t. He didn’t apply Early Action so I have even longer to wait than you do! March 7. I’M DYING. It is absolutely killing me.

Very anxious here too!

Does anyone know how VT notifies that decisions are posting? My daughter’s school 2 years ago posted it on their social media pages by noon and then word spread here on CC. I’ve heard other schools send out emails to check the portal.

Does anyone know if you don’t get into your choice of major will they automatically give you University Studies as a second choice if you meet those requirements? Or would you have to have chosen that as a second choice major? Thanks!

@kathyrain - I believe in past they have made mid-day post on twitter

@hoekinCO - As far as I know they did away with second choice major and its all or nothing.

To the best of my knowledge, VT only allowed ONE major choice this year. And if you are not accepted to your major, you are rejected outright. Brutal, but true. I called and expressed my disagreement with this method - they didn’t really care.

@STEM2017 Yes, lack of alternative major option is making the process quite painful for many applicants (my son included). It is sad that VT chose this as one of the ways to simplify review process - it will undoubtedly weed out a lot of highly qualified kids that simply love VT and would be happy with several majors.

My thing is why does VT’s acceptance rate read as so high when you search it up? 73.4% is a pretty high number but I know for a fact that VT is a very competitive school to get into, to me it doesn’t make any sense that the acceptance rate is 73.4% and it seems like it would be lower. I know that acceptance also varies with major but still. My son got into Penn State UP with a 51.3% acceptance rate, but is on even more pins and needles for the tech decisions than he was for PSU because he knows it’s a very competitive school and he’s in-state so that doesn’t help. Just for perspective, a lot of students with decent stats at my Son’s school (1300+ SAT, 3.8+ GPA) have gotten deffered from Tech for early decision even though their stats seemingly match up or exceed their reported averages.

I’m pretty sure that when I filled out the application there was a selection of whether or not I wanted to apply for the honors college. So you might have the box visible if you selected that you wanted to and vise versa.

@vadad2019 That number was from 2015-2016. The overall acceptance rate last year was 62%: https://vt.edu/admissions/undergraduate/snapshot.html

“Maybe
last year some decisions were released on the 20th although it was RD then. We can only hope for the 20th”

@levirm. If I recall correctly, only international students got notified early. My daughter got her acceptance just after 5 on the scheduled regular decision date in March (no EA last year).

I think with moving to the coalition app they would have many more applicants and the admission rate will drop this year.

Hoping decisions are released today. ED decisions were released on 12/14 @ 3:40 pm (1 day early).

Don’t want to sound pessimistic, but 12/14 was a Friday and 2/21 is not. I still believe they will release at 2/22 after the school’s out.

@eager2019 You are probably right.

Does anyone know what time zone they were released at? I keep hearing 5pm, I’m assuming that’s eastern time? I’m in central, so I’m just curious what time to keep an eye out tomorrow.