Honors College

My son was accepted this week for Engineering. Any idea when honor invites come out?

No idea. They said on the VT Honors website that honors invites will be sent out soon after your admission decision, but no exact date was mentioned. I am also waiting, so we’re on the same boat!

For EA, it was a week after (which would be today). Idk what they are doing this round.

Has anyone heard for RD?

Nothing here

Anyone hear anything? We have not.

My son got his invite for the honors college in the mail today.

Are you OOS or in-state? @mamma1st

DD received the invite in the mail today in MD. Also, received a large envelope with the financial aid offer of $0.

@infinigirly We live in Virginia.

My daughter got her invite today (Saturday). We live in Virginia. I hope everyone hears good news soon!
@oldrover – My daughter got EA from another VA state school that initially offered her nothing. A month later she found out that she was in the running for a full tuition scholarship, with a definite scholarship afterwards should she not be chosen for full. I’m hoping this is the case for VT.

@Darling3 did your financial aid package come the same day with the invite?

Son received letter today that he is in honors but no mention of any scholarship. No second letter either.

Anyone have any notion of how the honors decisions roll out? E.g., if you were accepted last week and don’t hear by Mon/Tues (in-state) are you out of consideration? Or might it come later as they continue to review applications for the next round of RD acceptances?

My son was accepted on February 20th to Engineering. He received honors college letter today. We are OOS. No mention of scholarship.

@unihopeful21 I asked my friend when she got her honors invite and she said she got it a day after she got her financial aid letter.

@unihopefu21 She got that a few days earlier- but the package basically said that she would not be receiving any need based aid.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 3.6 GPA requirement to maintain membership in VT Honors? That seems pretty steep, especially for engineering majors. Anyone with personal experience?

@STEM2017 I don’t have personal experience, but I’ve always heard that it’s not worth the honors program if you’re an engineering major. Engineering classes are very demanding themselves, and attending special honors classes AND maintaining a 3.6 GPA is borderline unbearable. It’s possible to do both, but it’s not fun…

My engineering son passed on an Honors invitation . He was invited after he did very well in classes his first year (would not have been invited initially out of HS because of his HS grades).