Early Decision Clarification

<p>Hi, I wouldn't mind going to University of Miami... Right now, for me, it's a toss up between University of Miami and University of Michigan (Ann Arbor). I would choose Miami over Michigan, just because I hate Michigan weather. So with that said, I would like to apply early decision to the U but I don't know a lot about it, I've done some research online and it was said the financial aid package comes after the early decision. Is that true? So if I do apply, I won't be able to consider the financial implications before committing myself? Can somebody just clarify on the "early decision" option? Thanks!</p>

<p>Do yourself a favor: apply early action. The acceptance rate for early decision is much lower than that for early action, and each gives you the same chances for aid and scholarships. If you end up not being able to afford the school and have to withdraw your application after being accepted early decision, you’re setting yourself up for a lot of grief and trouble that you do NOT want your last year of high school.</p>

<p>Yeah from what I’ve heard, you are much more likely to receive merit based aid if you apply early, whether it be early decision or early action. I applied early action and got a scholarship. Although early decision is “binding” I believe most schools will let you get away with getting out of it if it is for financial reasons. </p>

<p>The early acceptance rate issue isn’t as big of a deal as it is often made out to be. Just because you apply early doesn’t necessarily mean you are more likely to get it, it is just that the students who end up getting their stuff together and applying early tend to be students who would have been accepted under regular decision anyways.</p>

<p>i would personally apply ED. i applied ED and my stats were a bit lower than normal. i was deferred at first but one of the reasons i eventually got in was because they knew how much I wanted to go there from doing a binding application. after i got in, my admissions counselor told me that your chances are actually HIGHER if you apply ED. also, the reason that the acceptance rate is lower is because far fewer people apply ED so the amount of people that are qualified to be accepted is much lower. just make sure that you are willing to go to UM if you do get in and that you can afford the tuition despite what merit scholarship/financial aid you might get.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Stoppppp sayying this, folks. You would be hard pressed to make me believe that UM is less likely to accept someone who applies ED than if they had applied EA. After all, if you’re accepted ED, you’re a guaranteed matriculant, meaning that UM can lower their acceptance rate.</p>

<p>This almost certainly results from a generally lower quality of applicant applying ED than EA: you don’t apply ED to UM if it’s a safety school or a match. You apply ED if it’s your top choice, your dream school, and so people who apply ED probably have generally lower stats than those who apply EA. This accounts for the lower acceptance rate.</p>

<p>That having been said, to the OP: it is true that applying ED you won’t be able to review your financial aid package. ED is binding: if you’re accepted, you’re legally bound to attend UM regardless of your financial aid package.</p>

<p>Most schools have a clause in their ED agreement (or in the common app ED agreement) that allows you to back out if you genuinely cannot afford to attend the school. The problem that arises is that it is that many people apply early so they can get a better shot at a good aid package, and while colleges will understand if you have to back out because of the money, it is definitely frowned upon to apply ED to multiple schools. Are they going to pursue legal action against you…probably not, but they will probably make other schools aware of what you did. I personally think the best strategy if you are in this situation is to apply somewhere ED, and hopefully find another school that you like that offers ED2 so if it falls through with the first one, you always have the ED2 school.</p>

<p>Hi everyone, I am well aware of all the entanglements that this whole ED business brings but I thought it would be an interesting option to look at. It seems those that did apply ED came out happy, my stats are definitely on the higher end in terms of test scores and GPA so I’m not doing this to ‘get a spot.’ I genuinely love the U and I think it would be a great school for me to exceed in pre-med/biochem/whatever other major I may decide to pursue. I’ve always considered the EA option but I thought I might also think about ED… I heard however, that scholarships for ED are lower because they know that you’re guaranteed to go because it’s binding so sometimes admission officers will take advantage of that?</p>

<p>Rankinr is completely wrong about ED. In fact, the common app, which Miami uses, has a specific clause that allows applicants to withdraw from ED if they cannot afford the school. </p>

<p>Apply ED if you are 100% sure you want to go there. If you aren’t, EA is the way to go. If your scores are above the averages anyway, I would suggest EA simply because comparing financial aid packages is always nice.</p>

<p>Read the exact wording of your ED contract if you’d like: <a href=“https://www.commonapp.org/commonapp/docs/downloadforms/2012/2012EarlyDecision_download.pdf[/url]”>https://www.commonapp.org/commonapp/docs/downloadforms/2012/2012EarlyDecision_download.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>And, as always, my apologies for any misleading or incorrect information I may have provided. Just trying to help out ;)</p>

<p>“Should a student who applies for financial aid not be offered an award that makes attendance possible, the student may decline the offer of admission and be released from the Early Decision commitment.”</p>