Accepted Honors program
Merit $12k
ACT 33 , AP Scholar

2 Likes

D23 accepted Biology Pre Med
Honors College 34K Merit OOS

1 Like

D23 accepted oos EHS for primary Ed. 3.67uw/4.33w. $34k/yr scholarship

Anyone watch The College Tour episode on Miami U yet? For those that are familiar with the school and watched it, do you think itā€™s well done?

2 Likes

contact admissions and they can probably change that

my son Sports Management too!

that is definitely NOT averageā€¦ way above

does anyone know if you have to officially accept before putting down a housing deposit?

D23 accepted to Farmerā€™s
OOS with $23k Merit
Honors Program
Applied to Presidential Fellows Program, Jan decision for thatā€¦
Test Optional
4+ GPAā€¦sports, clubs and AP
Iā€™m seeing in-state merit $4-13k here, thinking we need to ask for more merit. :thinking:
@gpo613 and others, Congrats on the $34k Merit!
Of course we will only pursue if this is a finalist. Any feedback would be great.

I think sheā€™s getting great acceptance letters due to her essay and GPA. Iā€™ve had 3 other kids go through this process and her essay was by far the best and brought me to tears. (no permission to share) And sheā€™s the only one that didnā€™t submit ACT score. Maybe we need to submit for the extra Merit askā€¦

My CA kid got admission email from Maimi of Ohio into CS and Business Entrepreneurship with good merit ($34000). Heā€™s also selected for Honors college.

He will know by mid-Jan if shortlisted for President Fellow scholarship program.

S23 accepted OOS w/merit. Paid deposit and attending. History major planning for law school after (that may change). Plans to minor in vocal music and/or audition for Menā€™s Glee Club.

He visited and it just felt ā€œrightā€. We spent the night at the Hampton Inn in town and walked from there to campus and got a good feel for the area.We were impressed by the cute little downtown and the wealth of restaurants both local and chain. Thereā€™s a Walmart, Kroger, TJMaxx and a few other smaller chain stores west and northwest of the school.

We also drove to Hamilton (the closest suburban area). The west edge of Hamilton with a movie theater, a drive in, and a few big box stores is about 20 minutes. The farther side of Hamilton with Target, Bed Bath Beyond and every suburban store you could every want is about 40 minutes. Thereā€™s an Ikea outside of Cincinnati thatā€™s about 45 minutes away and Cincinnati is an hour.

We really explored because a big criticism of the school was that there was nothing to do and nothing around but corn fields. We found lots of ā€œtownā€ things. Given that there are 16K+ students with 8K living on campus, plus all the faculty and support staff, we knew there couldnā€™t be ā€œnothing but cornā€ around. Itā€™s all about perspective and what you are comfortable with. My suburban kid was very content with the area and knows that with 8K students in the dorms, there will always be something to do. (D25 on the other hand wants to be in a big city so Miami would absolutely not be for her).

My advice if you visit: take the time to drive through the town and out to Walmart. Not because Walmart is exciting, but to show your kid that thereā€™s more than corn fields. I think the reason it has the reputation if does is b/c the campus sits in the southeast edge of town. Right at the edge. Anyone arriving from Cincinnati or from the east arrives directly onto campus after driving through fields, tours the campus, turns around and drives through fields on the way back. All the non-campus town is to the west and northwest of the campus. Thatā€™s also where the off campus housing is if they want to see where they might live junior and senior year. If you donā€™t explore, it is possible that all you will see is fields and a campus.

Not likely to be my sonā€™s scene, but he was excited to see Brick Street shown before the USA World Cup match b/c they were such a rowdy happy throng of kids. Thereā€™s no big city scene, no subway to museums or Trader Joes in town, but for the right kid, thereā€™s plenty to do.

Check them out on Instagram.

2 Likes

If you are interested in sports, check out the Redhawks in the Bahamas Bowl tomorrow at 11:30! S23 is done with exams so he will be watching. The football instagram page has been funny. The team are swimming with dolphins and playing at the Atlantis resort. Not sure how great the game will be.

https://www.bahamasbowl.com

I was thinking maybe we should not have sent in her 30 ACT, and may have received more. I guess you never knowā€¦She also had 5 AP classes, sports, clubs etcā€¦Apparently her essay didnā€™t make the cut. I canā€™t imagine what else it could be. It is exciting that many are getting a lot of merit, I just wish we had a little more. I was only hoping for 23-25ish, but we are way below that.

All the offers are negotiable. Especially when your child has good credentials.

D23 got into Nursing OOS
uw grade avg.: 4.0
w grade avg.: 4.4
Class Rank: school doesnā€™t rank
34 [ACT]
5 APs (her school doesnā€™t offer that much, rest of classes were CHS and Honors)
Caption varsity XC and track, varsity soccer, soccer coach for urban youth league, NHS, meal prep for city mentoring program, dental shadowing, other leadership positions.

Honesty, we were unpleasantly surprised with her merit package of 19K. She is very iffy on Miami but we did visit from out of state. In the information session we attended, looking at her stats against their averages, it seemed like she would be in a higher scholarship range. Her friend with much lower stats got the same merit. Since she has received much better packages from a couple of other schools, sheā€™ll probably withdrawal her app soon. Good luck to everyone.

3 Likes

Apparently she is average hereā€¦looks like it for sure considering her award. I hate it for her because it will be out of reach. I do wonder if they offer a second round in the spring like some schools.

1 Like

Miami is pretty easy to get into, not sure anyone we know hasnā€™t gotten in. So your daughterā€™s good stats would be above average for Miami.

This is not a bad thing living in Florida where the top schools UF and FSU had acceptance rates of 28% and 25% This year and the nest two UCF and USF are 42% and 43%. It is nice to see good choices where you meet the admission criteria your are accepted
Miami has acceptance rate similar to many states Flagships, Kentucky, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Ole Miss Utah, Oregon Arizona and Arizona State to name a few

FL has almost twice the population that OH has, which definitely affects acceptance rates. I agree Miami is similar to schools in some smaller states.

Kid got email that he was admitted into Honors college.

3 Likes

My D23 heard on 12/14 that she was accepted. :slight_smile:

25K/yr merit scholarship
College of Arts and Science
Honors College

OOS
30 ACT
4.0/4.42 GPA
4 APs total (two 5s so far), many honors classes, NHS, a few other honor societies
4 year varsity sport, relevant ECs for major, PT job

Congrats everyone!

1 Like