Edgar Fellows/Honors College?

<p>Hi Geneseo Student! Do you know how many people are in the Edgar Fellows programs per year? Thanks =)</p>

<p>Just curious: when will the notifications of acceptance/rejection to the Edgar Fellows program be released? The letter way back when said 4/13, is this true?</p>

<p>Until my year, the program had ~15-20 people in it from each class. They are currently trying to expand, so beginning my freshman year (class of 2011) they began taking between 30 and 40 students each year. I have no idea when they send the acceptance letters, but good luck to everyone who applied and maybe I'll see you at some Honors gatherings next year!</p>

<p>Are acceptance/rejections for the program e-mailed are snail mailed?</p>

<p>Mine was snail mailed, but they've been cutting back pretty sharply on the use of paper in the past year, so they might've switched to e-mail since then. Sorry I can't be more definitive!</p>

<p>Anyone heard anything yet? 4/13 has come and gone....</p>

<p>i just called the admissions office and they said the letters went out in the mail today, so we should be hearing tomorrow!</p>

<p>did anybody get their letters today???</p>

<p>One person did in the 2013 fb group. I'm guessing most of us will get them today.</p>

<p>Just got my letter. Waitlisted. Anyone else hear back?</p>

<p>My daughter got her letter accepting her to the Edgar Fellows Program yesterday. She was very excited, but now needs to decide between this and an Honors college at another SUNY school. I would love to hear from GeneseoStudent11 exactly what being in the Edgar Fellows Program "buys" him. The Honors college at the other school will give my daughter priority registration, priority housing, special advisers, and first crack at research opportunities and research. Does this program do any of that?</p>

<p>hey cjmom, where was the other honors offer from???
and i got waitlisted here, probably not going to geneseo because i got a full ride to UB</p>

<p>UB is the other school my daughter was accepted to and got into the honors college. Not quite a full ride at UB, but a nice scholarship none-the-less. It's turning out to be a tougher choice than we thought. Geneseo has a great reputation. But UB has a lot to offer if you are in the Honors College. We will be visiting both again next week to try and compare the 2 one last time.</p>

<p>GeneseoStudent11, my daughter got accepted as an Edgars Fellow, and also as a UB honors, Stony Brook honors and Binghamton and wants to major in science (Chemistry) but not pre-med, and is having trouble deciding which offer to accept. Do the Edgars Fellows live together in a particular dorm? Are there special events limited to the Fellows? (the other schools honors programs have social programming and special opportunities for meeting visiting lecturers, etc.). Thanks for any information.</p>

<p>yeah thats what i'm trying to figure out too....geneseo has the better program and rep (especially for biochem)...but then at buffalo i would have to pay nothing and the honors program does offer a lot of benefits</p>

<p>The biggest benefit I've gotten from being in the Honors program at Geneseo is access the courses Edgar fellows are required to take. They are all small (10-20 students), seminar-style classes on a wide variety of topics taught by some of the best professors at Geneseo. The sort of discussion-heavy education that goes on in those classes really works for me, and is exactly the sort of learning I was looking for in coming to a small liberal arts school. These classes are limited to honors students only, so one can get into the sections they want without problems. These classes have also provided opportunities to meet visitors and attend special events. For instance, one of the courses being offered this semester is an examination of the extent, causes, and effects of inequality in the United States. My professor has brought in several of the authors of the papers and books that we have read for the class to speak, and each time there has been the chance to attend a small luncheon with the speaker for a more intimate experience than merely the general talk.</p>

<p>As for housing, incoming Edgar fellows students were required for the first time this year to live together in one of the themed dorms, the Dante house. I can't speak for how living there is, because I came to Geneseo before that policy was instituted, but I do know that the whole dorm is first year students, and includes a mix of honors, international, and (for lack of a better word...) "normal" students.</p>

<p>To address your other questions:
Priority registration, priority housing - Registration and housing are both based on the number of credits that a student has. Most honors students are bringing in a lot of credits from high school (which is a big help), but they do not get special treatment in either of these areas for being honors students.
Special advisers - Advisers are given out to correlate with the student's major, and also aren't affected by honors status.
First crack at research opportunities and research - Honors students are required to do research and write an extensive paper for their senior capstone project. This project is worked on through all of senior year and counts for 6 credits, and must be done within the field in which the student is studying. For instance, a science major would most likely to research, a music major could compose and perform/conduct a work, a history major could write a thesis about a particular topic, and so on. There aren't really any limits on what you can do, but it has to be accompanied by a written section. Although this doesn't explicitly meant hat honors kids get a first crack at research, I haven't heard of anyone not getting to do the research they're interested in.</p>

<p>I hope this helps, and please keep asking questions if you've got them : )</p>

<p>My s got the letter of acceptance. He was accepted to Binghamton honors program and Cornell as presidential scholar. However, he seems to be torn between Cornell and Northwestern (the cost is about 10k higher than either at Geneseo or at Binghamton) while thinking of upenn a bit; and he wants to pursue premed. he should decline the offer soon so another student can get the chance.</p>

<p>Waitlisted :/. I'm still going there though. I went to the admitted student's preview day last tuesday and absolutely loved it!</p>

<p>I got accepted to the Edgar Fellows program as well, but I'm going to relinquish my spot to a waitlistee.
Good luck to all! :)</p>

<p>waitlisted roflz</p>

<p>w/e</p>