Eligibility by Exam

<p>My son, who homeschools, is applying using the Eligibility by Exam option. I have some questions:</p>

<p>There does not seem to be any way to specify this on the app. Do they just assume it when they see he does not have the a-g requirements?</p>

<p>I found this link [UCSD</a> Freshman Comprehensive Review Process (Dec 2004)](<a href=“http://www.geocities.com/kisasong/UCSDComprehensive.htm]UCSD”>http://www.geocities.com/kisasong/UCSDComprehensive.htm)
about a point system. It is for UCSD and it is a few years old, but at the bottom it says all of the UCs use some sort of point system. The first two values are from GPA and Standard tests. How do they get these points if you are applying by exam. BTW, my son has 488/500 on exam scores, so i assume he will get pretty close to the top value?</p>

<p>I dont see anything in here about the essays. Do the essays count for anything?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I don't know about the qualifying by exam question, but the UC's use the essays to look for information about the applicants to give them points for. Example, if you talk about leadership, hardship, diversity, or how you plan to contribute to the university in your essay, then those qualities will considered in your evaluation. Applicants should make a point of including such information in their essays, unless they have already listed said qualities in the activities/other sections.</p>

<p>UCD has an admissions person who answers questions not only about UCD but in some instances about the UC application. You might want to ask your question in that forum.</p>

<p>Admissions into the UC system is a two step process.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Eligibility by exam alone, similarly for Eligibility in the Statewide Context and Eligibility in the Local Context, is a way to minimally eligible for the UC system. Being eligible does not guarantee admissions to the UC campus of your choice, but does guarantee admissions to at least one campus. If the student is not eligible in the statewide context the UC campus will then check the other options to satisfy eligibility.</p></li>
<li><p>The selective UC campuses, most of the campuses are selective, use a comprehensive review process to select applicants for admissions among their eligible students. This comprehensive review process can make it difficult for students who are eligible by exam alone to be admitted since they might not have an a-g GPA or a-g courses completed through an approved high school. Your student might consider taking courses through a California Community College to obtain a GPA and some a-g courses. If interested please have them contact an adviser at their preferred UC campus.
Not all UC campuses use a point based system and might have a different process to look at the GPA of the student. Also I recommend you contact UC Riverside, they have a portfolio process for home schooled students that might be of interest.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I just thought I would follow up on this post, so future applicants might find hope. </p>

<p>My son was just informed he is considered for a Regents Exam at UCLA. This is offered to the top 1.5% of the applicants (holistically determined). It basically means he is accepted.</p>

<p>So, it is more than possible for a strong student who has not pursued a traditional high school education to get accepted at UCLA. He also applied to SC, SD and Cal. </p>

<p>It is a moot point, because he also got in early as his top picks - Caltech and MIT, and will go to Caltech.</p>