Emails from admission for notification reminder

Received AO emails from a few schools, remind to create portal to learn the decision. Are these emails general to all candidates who have applied to their school?

4 Likes

Yep! Standard emails that make your heart stop at this point right? :slight_smile: One yesterday said “Decision” in the subject line!

2 Likes

Absolutely.

The schools will let every applicant know of some kind of decision. It may be a ‘congratulations’ but it could equally be a ‘the standard of applications this year was exceptional and we aren’t able to take all qualified students’.

Some schools use portals. Some use emails.
When my kid was applying (2021), it turns out that we had the decision from every BS before kid departed our driveway for a regular day of school. We are on East Coast time (and only applied to East Coast schools.)

I remember some posts two years ago about how to handle M10 decision reveals. One family decided to not look at any decisions at all until AFTER the regular school day, and this year with M10 being a Friday, that might be a good plan (if you can handle the suspense).

2 Likes

I like your suggestion about deciding ahead of time on how to handle M10 - my son was clear that he did not wanted to be distracted during his school day - he also wanted me to be the one who told him all of the decisions all at once (wanted to hear it from me all at once, not read each one himself - this was just his preference.) I honored his request - he gave me all of his portal info etc. I gathered the info for him through the day. His last decision came at 4:00 pm. He stayed true to his request of me - when he got home from school, he asked if all decisions were in and I told him “not yet”. He waited until we had them all and then we sat together where he wanted any “bad news” first followed by any “good news”. There is no right way to do this but I do think it helped my son to have a “plan” and stick to it. For him I guess he felt more comfortable hearing from me and being able to talk it through vs. reading on his own.

6 Likes

We will be smack in the middle of our family vacation when the decisions come in!

2 Likes

We are on the west coast and DS wants to wake up at 5 am to see the results and skip school regardless of the outcome! We will see if that happens

8 Likes

Yes

Our child leaves that day on an international school trip, so our plan is to not tell her anything until she returns 8 days later. Forwarding her emails to limit the temptation and not take away from her trip. Not sure how that is going to go. The best laid scheme o’ mine an’ men 

2 Likes

You’re forwarding emails from the account she would normally access them from to keep her from seeing them while on the trip? Are you certain that will work (or am I misunderstanding)? Whenever I forward my email, it still lands in the original box as well as to the forwarded. If that’s the case, forwarding isn’t going to insulate her.

No, but thanking you for the watch out - She knows and we are ‘moving them’ it was just easier to text that way. She does not want the temptation and she wants to enjoy her trip. But as I said many a plan 
lol

Hi, I’ve been lurking for a few months, and now that we’re getting close, I had one question. I love the idea of having a plan for M10, and possibly waiting until after school and opening all at once to buffer emotions.
My question is, will that work? All of our schools are using the Ravenna portal, but reading here and elsewhere, it seems some schools also send emails? and that even the subject of those emails might indicate the status? I can’t imagine how disruptive-distracting-difficult it would be if my son gets an email in the middle of the school day

Yes, for some schools my son received emails indicating status. We also received emails indicating status. Those emails came before the portal opened.

That’s tough if they have access to their email. My son had set up a gmail account just for this (and didn’t use his school email) so it was easy for him not to look
 I guess it depends on if they can avoid looking a their email

2 Likes

Come on! Allow your son/daughter have one day excitment, anxious and suprise! It is okay

1 Like

No parents are worrying about the Financial Aids? What if the kids got a dream school offer, but you figured out that you cannot afford it because the school would not offer FA you hoped for. What will be the discussion between kids and parents?

I applied during the 20-21 cycle, and although my school was fully in person, they had an online option, and kids could even go online for a day if needed. I started first period, and during that 40 minute class, I knew some of my decisions came out. After class, I eagerly checked, and was so excited and nervous for the rest of the day. Because of this, I couldn’t really focus in class, so my mom told me I could take the day off after that first period. I’m thankful I did that, because me and my mom were able to spend a day together and go to brunch to ease some of the nerves. For me, I think that was the right decision.

If your child doesn’t want to go to class that day, if you’re available, consider doing an activity with them instead of going to school (providing there are no tests that day) Do something they like and go out to keep busy. You can check decisions throughout the day even, as I did. Keeping busy meant that if I didn’t get a decision I was happy with, I still had fun things to do that day. That definitely calmed me down and cheered me up.

If you aren’t available to do this with your child, sending them to school is probably a good idea, since they should keep busy. If they don’t have a test that day, maybe it’s not such a bad idea for them to check decisions if they want to. If they do have a test, I would advise they check after.

These are just suggestions based off what works for me and what I heard works for others. At the end of the day, just make sure your kid is supported.

-note, this is replying to many comments made in this thread, but perhaps would be better in the freak out thread, so moderators, feel free to move this if that’s where this belongs.

2 Likes

We had transparent discussions with our son prior to him sending in applications so he knew what was needed and was prepared that it would be part of the M10 stresses. It all worked out for the best (hindsight is very helpful) but it is certainly part of the emotional roller coaster

yes, of course, but if he’s at his current school and the news is disappointing, it could be hard to manage on his own without support. He’s currently at one of the day schools frequently mentioned on these boards and is very unhappy, so transferring is a very emotional issue.

Talk to him about it before M10. Do expectation management now rather later do emotional damage management.

4 Likes

If she doesn’t need email at all during her trip, maybe she can hide the app button on her phone if that’s how she’d access it. Then there is no temptation every time you open your phone :rofl: I’d say delete the app but that’s such a pain with email, hiding it makes it ‘outta sight outta mind’.

Our family friends, the daughter went on a service trip to Thailand these past 2 weeks with her school during February Break. She barely had time to do much but a quick message or call home. It’s nice to see schools picking them up again slowly around here after so many stayed away because so many got caught in the Covid outbreak lockdowns. We had so many friends here with kids trapped abroad for a bit. Full term and year study abroad programs are in full swing, but the break trips have still been very scarce though picking back up (yeah!). Hopefully your daughter will be too busy to even remember it is M10 :wink:

1 Like