Emerging Scholars Notification

<p>Does anybody know when they e-mail candidates for the emerging scholars program? It seems, with previous searches, last year (or 2012, idr) that the application was available in march/april/may with results in June. Because it opened first of July this year, I read the faq that selections will be mid-July. Also, previous threads say that people got it “at different times” of the month; will this be the same this year?</p>

<p>Last year my son learned on 07/19</p>

<p>When did the app open last year? </p>

<p>I’m still waiting for the application outcome as of now</p>

<p>Last year the Application was open on 5/27.</p>

<p>still no notification so far
I wonder if they notify rejected applicants</p>

<p>They do notify rejected applicants. A couple years ago my D was rejected (which was kind of funny because several weeks before she received her rejection she had notified Dr. Webb that she was withdrawing her ES application after being accepted to CBHP from the waiting list). The rejection came by email.</p>

<p>Thank you beth’s mom :)</p>

<p>I was wondering if DS should confirm schedule before getting notification on emerging scholars? If so can his schedule still be modified?</p>

<p>Your S will be able to add/drop courses without any penalty until 8/27 (subject to availability for adds). You need to confirm schedule with payment much earlier. Here’s a link to the UA finance dept schedule:
<a href=“http://studentreceivables.ua.edu/important_dates_fall14-html/”>http://studentreceivables.ua.edu/important_dates_fall14-html/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thank-you 247rtc I appreciate the info. and quick response.</p>

<p>It never occurred to me that my D would be rejected! Lol…so far, everything at Bama has been a big, fat YES! Now I’m worried…</p>

<p>^ I have that feeling too especially since it was to be released “mid-july”. However, I read somewhere that this really isn’t the end for students who want research. They can talk to professors and (maybe just as easily) get research opportunities. The only disadvantage is not receiving the relatively small monetary compensation.</p>

<p>Yup. She’s going to do undergrad research no matter what happens with ES. She only applied after she received an email invitation. I’m hoping they wouldn’t invite her to apply then turn her down.</p>

<p>The email invitation to apply goes out to many more students than there are slots. It is a selective program. </p>

<p>My D was disappointed to be placed in reserve pool for CBHP but not selected. I’m hoping she gets selected for ES. It wod be a tough way to start her career at UA - two invitations followed by two rejections. </p>

<p>I hope she gets good news. My D was not interested in the CBHP. Mine will not fret over the ES decision either way. She’ll just find another avenue to pursue her research goals.</p>

<p>There are plenty of opportunities for students to explore their interests at the UA. I would advise not pinning too much on any one opportunity. It’s likely that most of theses students have very little experience with rejection since most of applicants have similar stats. These invitations to apply are sent out in masses and not to individual students. </p>

<p>Sticker, a lot of the posters on CC are or are the parents of highly accomplished, tippy top students - the type of students who are accepted into nearly everything they apply to. Sometimes it seems from reading CC that everyone gets these opportunities and that’s why UA is so great. You’re not really seeing a representative sample here. Lots of kids don’t get into CBH, aren’t accepted into various honors or other programs they apply to, don’t win elections, etc. They get over it and they have a great experience at Bama without all of that. My D has been rejected from waaaay more stuff than she’s been accepted to. I’m just happy that she keeps applying - that’s what is important. </p>

<p>That said, although it may be a long shot at this point, have your daughter e-mail Dr. Sharpe and Mrs. Batson and express her continued interest in CBH. You never know when a spot could open up.</p>

<p>Thanks. You are right. Rejection is a part of life as we all know. I just have my fingers crossed. This transition to college will be big enough without feeling the sting of rejection again. But, she will handle it if it happens and move on. There seems to be plenty of other opportunities at UA. </p>