Emerson College Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

So my D was deferred, just to be sure that was understood. She never anticipated to be accepted since we know Chapman is very selective, plus when we visited, there were 3 other CP candidates so it’s becoming more and more popular and more and more difficult to be accepted.

My D put on her creative resume: 2 Short films, 2 paintings, 1 theater short play for what she won a selection to be played by professionals at Boston University, 1 sound design for a play.

I’m not sure that shows a predisposition for creative producing. She has nothing on her resume about business for example. But she is the president of our small school’s film club and she is part of 2 theater programs.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I really appreciate the info. I mean it does sound like that should click a lot of boxes for it. Can’t expect each student applying to have taken charge of a project, have written for tv/film/theatre, done something in business, etc. I mean that’s what the program is about. Wish her the best with her other schools and truly appreciate you taking the time!!! (And amazing on the writing project that BU will be doing! Amazing!!)

1 Like

For those who visited Emerson yesterday (Picture yourself at Emerson) What did you think?

1 Like

We loved it. It really changed Emerson from a Maybe to a Probably for us. My daughter still wants to wait for some others we will hear from in May, but overall it was great and I think it will be a place she can thrive. I loved all the focus on film (her major) in a variety of ways, it felt like a community, she loved the city atmosphere, the dorms were nice - overall it was great

2 Likes

Where did she apply other than Emerson that she would like better?

She’s also looking at BU - she wants to be in Boston so those are her top 2 choices

Funny, my D applied to BU too. But we are from Boston so it was difficult to avoid it. It’s two very different institutions. Good luck to your D.

Emerson fading away little by little… They were generous enough to respond positively to our appeal and raised their grant from 18K to 24K but it’s not enough regarding our budget. The only way would be to live off campus, but D wants the campus life experience. Still waiting decisions from 5 institutions.

What was part of your appeal? (Their appeal page has a lot of “don’t bother ifs” in it.)

My D appealed the merit scholarship and wrote a new essay asking to be considered for the honors program a second time (IB program, extended essay… etc), but she checked also the need based appeal box. They only reply to the need based. The only way she could go to Emerson would be if she lives off campus. She’s not ready to do that yet. But yes, we didn’t play the card: “we received a better offer from this institution…”.

Emerson and it’s position about internships: do they encourage th wee students to take internships every summer for their film program or do they say: wait for your Junior year and the ELA program? D and I thaught we heard on teacher saying that during our visit and we were surprised, but, perhaps, we did not hear well.

We are doing the April 1 visit. My daughter is also a film major. I am hope she embraces the college and city, because she is overly concerned that Emerson is “too small”.

Two more weeks during which D will receive the last decisions. It would be interesting to know where our students finaly commit to and why. Will the regular decisions be a game changing? I know budget will be a huge factor on their decisions…