Engineering NSC - is their new laptop (BYOD) needed?

My son has NSC next week (Look full admit class of 2020) - does he need to have his new laptop under BYOD with him for any of the sessions or for registration? We are still looking at prices and comparing the choices.

Nope. The BYOD laptop isn’t needed until classes start :slight_smile:

Nope, but I would suggest bring a laptop to the NSC

We just got home from NSC and my S took his laptop. But he ended up using their computer to register.

At our second day, there was a group session with all of the students (parents attended) with your particular adviser. Here is where they go over how to register and how to find their recommended schedule. The you break for lunch. Having his laptop with him all morning to take to lunch so he could look at open classes prior to registration (which is after lunch) was helpful.

If your son has not already looked at his recommended schedule, it is found on Howdy, My record, then find the Engineering portal. If he accesses Howdy via his laptop, it is the last box on the left hand side. My son’s portal links have changed so I can’t tell you what it’s under, but if you have your son explore his, he will find his recommended schedule. Typically, if he scored less than 26 but higher than 22, his schedule will be schedule B, which has him taking Chemistry 107/117 instead of physics 218 and completion of Math 151 is a pre req. A 26 + _= schedule A and 21 and lower, schedule C, meaning a lpre req math before you can take Math 151, then physics 218.

Also accessible in howdy, is the class search (Howdy, my record, registration, search class schedule). Have him get familiar with searching for classes and how to read the listing. Click on the CNR number of a potential class will bring up the class details. On the class search portal, some classes list 5-6 meeting times over the course of the week. 3 of those are test dates. The others are lecture day & time, lab day and time and recitation day and time. Clicking on the CNR number is really helpful in breaking down a class.

Then, practice building a schedule on http://freecollegeschedulemaker.com/. It will familiarize him with what all the classes will look like put together and in practicing reading the class search tables. That way, if he goes into registration and can’t get a class he had looked at, he will be proficient in glancing the class search tables for another class that meets the criteria he needs.

My S also went through a lot of the professors listed in the class schedule search and looked them up on Ratemyprofessor.com just in case he got a chance to pick a prof or had to decide between two. These names were listed by class along with his list of CNR numbers.

If he has to take Chem first semester, don’t forget the lab 117 to add into the schedule. It is a separate listing.

Also, if he does not get his choice of classes right away, have him not leave the registration room. At ours, several kids left without classes, only to have more seats open up. Had they waited, they could have gotten a class. Now they must wait until add/drop.

A large handful of us did not attend any of the programs for parents while our kids were registering. We went with them and waited in a conference room. Once he is finished, he is free to go. Bring something to do (your phone charger, book, etc). Also, connect to the wifi.

Good luck at NSC

Although its been 2 years since my sons NSC, he did take his laptop mainly to run schedule options. He found that MyEDU.com has some great scheduling tools. The whole registration process is a bit unnerving for the students. Its pretty much a “ready, set, go” to try and get your classes. It feels like if you make a mistake your doomed, but that is not the case. You can contact your advisor afterwards and they have the ability to add or change classes if needed.

The NSC is a very long and HOT. Its a great introduction into TAMU, but the process gets easier as they move forward. My son laughs a bit at what made him nervous in his freshman year and now he knows the process like the back of his hand. It does help to be in honors to get early registration.

http://financialaid.tamu.edu/Forms/1617RequestChangeCostofAttendance.aspx

You can also “increase” your COA to buy your laptop, gives a chance for more scholarships because of increased financial need!