English vs. Journalism

<p>I've seen the many, many threads posted throughout CC covering this topic,
but I'm still quite torn.</p>

<p>I'm unsure if I'd like to become a journalist (print, not interested in broadcast). I love writing and I'm interested in magazine journalism, photojournalism, anything media-related, etc. Yet, I might want to be an editor, teacher, lawyer... in the future. And I realize I don't need a Journalism degree in order to become a journalist.</p>

<p>I plan on applying to Northwestern but it's a definite reach. This is such a stupid question but can I apply to Medill for Journalism and apply to LAS for English at the other schools I'm considering? Or would that not be possible?</p>

<p>I ask this only because I feel transferring into NU's Journalism school (on the slim chance I'm admitted) from LAS would be much harder than switching from Journalism to English.</p>

<p>Any thoughts would be thoroughly appreciated.</p>

<p>Most journalism students at Medill do double-major. The J-degree requires only 12-14 courses at the J-school; the remaining 31-33 courses have to be outside the J-school. With so many courses remaining, most students use them for their second majors in liberal arts. They just don’t get the degree however (double-major as opposed to double degree).</p>

<p>I’m interested in knowing if an english degree would be better than a journalism degree too. Which would qualify you for more jobs?
I also have been focused on print journalism (for the last four years of my life) and would like to know which is better in “english vs journalism” too.</p>

<p>There are lots of different opinions about this. Here’s mine: If you decide to major in English (or another discipline), get some practical experience while in college. Write or edit for the school paper or website, and find relevant internships and summer jobs. It’s a shifting profession. If you aren’t well prepared to work in online journalism, your options will be very limited. I know a 2009 graduate (English major) who’s job hunting and has been told to get an unpaid internship to gain some practical skills, preferably one that gives her online/multimedia experience. and (2) get online/multimedia experience.</p>

<p>By the way, my son is in j-school and is trying to be very strategic about what he studies and what kinds of internships he has. He’s likely to double-major in political science, and he’ll probably concentrate in convergence journalism. At Missouri, you get both hands-on experience and a well-rounded curriculum that requires much more than journalism courses.</p>

<p>Edit: I didn’t mean to repeat myself above. Nothing like poor proofreading on a journalism thread.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tips! Very helpful.</p>