I'm lost, please help me - to be in Medill, or not?

<p>Hello! I am currently a student at Northwestern University, about to finish up freshman year. </p>

<p>I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for my major - I came in as a theatre major, but was very tentative and knew I would probably want to switch out. I knew that if I could switch out, I would want to transfer into Medill - not easy, but doable. I talked to a counselor about it to make sure it would work out, and it looks like everything should be fine.</p>

<p>In high school I worked intensively on my school paper, and eventually became Photography Director. I love writing but my primary interest is in visual journalism/communication. </p>

<p>HOWEVER, my current dilemma is this:
while I love the idea of being a journalist, I can also see myself going into a more business-related career path. Also, I love English and the study of reading and writing in general, so the thought of being an English major has popped into mind. I've considered double-majoring in Communications and English, or Journalism and Econ, and potentially doing the Business Institutions minor or the Integrated Marketing Communications certificate in addition to anything else I end up doing as my major(s). </p>

<p>Basically, I'm all over the place.
My passions are reading, writing, people, and photography.
I want a career where I can earn enough to support myself, while still doing something at least tangentially related to what I love.</p>

<p>What do you think the wisest major, combination of majors, and (potential) minor(s) would be for someone like me? Do you think a degree from Medill will allow me to branch into the other areas of interest I mentioned if I decide I don't want to be a "pure," traditional journalist?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>