Fellows invitations releasing 1/31!

I totally agree, I wish they would just pick finalists and not have another interview on top of everything else they have already done.

Hey everyone! Sorry for checking out this thread so late. Last year I talked to some of the admissions staff after Fellows weekend for ENN and got some numbers about the weekend that we never posted. But I will share them with you now!

Last year out of the 2058 applications that were submitted, 1019 were invited to Fellows Weekend and 705 applicants decided to continue the process. The 1019 applications were split up like this:

Leadership - 127
Teaching ā€“ 92
Communications ā€“ 126
Business ā€“ 149
Elon College ā€“ 397
Honors ā€“ 328

(this adds up to 1219 because of application overlap)

Last year the spaces were also awarded like this (the excess number is people on the waitlist since not everyone accepts):

66 for 30 Business
55 for 30 Communications
182 for 60 Elon College
80 for 45 Honors
52 for 30 Leadership
35 for 25 Teaching

Scholarships were then given out in this order:

22 Business
22 Communications
60 Elon College
45 Honors
15 Leadership
25 Teaching

I hope this helps everyone!

Also, I have not been watching this thread very well but I am a second-year Comm Fellow and can answer any questions people have about Fellows Weekend or the Comm program or even AFROTC, but I canā€™t speak to much outside of that!

Thanks @JustHelpingOut20 ! Very helpful!

Does this mean that of the 66 selected for Business Fellows, that only 22 got additional scholarship $? So some got Business Fellows but with no additional scholarship? Or does everyone selected get additional scholarship money?

@sunnyschool very good question. I was thinking maybe 66 were offered the business fellows and 22 accepted. Hopefully @JustHelpingOut20 can clarify for us.

Thanks @JustHelpingOut20 . Those are not great odds; I wish they didnā€™t invite so many. Iā€™m sure itā€™s a way to get top students on campus in hopes they fall in love with the school and come regardless of fellows, but, as is, itā€™s an expensive proposition with a very low chance of success for those out of the area with flights/missing school, etc.

Itā€™s too bad they canā€™t narrow it down at least a little via an initial telephone/skype/facetime roundā€¦

I think it means that 22 were selected and 44 were put on the waitlist. Then, as selected applicants said ā€œnoā€, those on the waitlist were added as Fellows.

@3kids2dogs Yep, itā€™s costing us close to $1K to make the trip, and he will miss classes, too. I think everyone invited should be given additional scholarship money, regardless of making the limited # of Fellows.

@sunnyschool @croaswife @3kids2dogs So it means that 30 total people were accepted as Business Fellows and 36 were initially put on the waitlist in-case people decided not to accept. And then 22 of the 30 that were accepted received scholarships so not every Business Fellow received the extra aid. Teaching, Honors, and Elon College are the only ones where every Fellow receives a scholarship.

So for the Business Fellowsā€¦the chance of being accepted with scholarship $ is pretty low assuming the numbers are similar to last year. Has anyone heard confirming numbers from Elon as to how many students are competing this year for the different Fellows programs? It is an investment with travel costs so it would be helpful to understand how many students are competing for each Fellows program.

Those numbers are not very encouraging!! I was assuming more like 2x the desired number so they at least had a 50% chance. I will not be sharing these low odds with my daughter. Sheā€™s already freaking out after reading the sample questions from years past. We apparently need to have more thought provoking dinner conversation for the next month!!!

Good point @sunnyschool One school my D is looking at offers $1,000/yr if you visit. Weā€™ll probably spend close to $2,000 for the short weekend after hotel, flights, car and food. A small gesture like that would be a nice consolation prize at least.

I am going to fellows weekend March 6-7 ā€¦ However, these numbers donā€™t seem very promising especially since it is such a haul to get down there from MA.

I know this thread is a year old, but hopefully you can answer. My child found out today that she is an ā€œalternateā€ for Elon College Fellows. Does this mean waitlist?

@copelandtje Sorry for getting back to you so late but yes that is essentially what it means. If people decide not to accept the Fellows invitation then they will bring in alternates to fill those spots.

Is every finalist who interviewed and not selected an alternate? Just wondering if there is anyway to find out where on the waitlist she falls. Thanks!

@copelandtje Nope! Not everyone who is interviewed gets selected as an alternate. Only a few people are alternates. I would hazard a guess at about or less than 10. Normally the first one or two alternates make it on in the end but I donā€™t know if there is any way to find your placement on the waitlist.