Financial Aid

If anyone has a question on the financial aid process, please post a question.

Hello. I’ve been accepted to UM but in my letter there is no mention of a Presidential scholarship. My sister, who has very similar stats as me did receive a Presidential scholarship of $20k.

Why didn’t I receive anything or do I have to wait to get something through mail? I read my acceptance online.

@itstamara if it wasn’t in your email, then you didn’t get it.

What school did you both apply to?

@Calicash, I didn’t get anything through email, I checked through Miami’s website.

@rightofway, UM?

@rightofway‌ I got into the College of Arts and Sciences, if that’s what you’re asking. :smile:

And your sister

@rightofway‌ The same as me.

If is was not in your letter, you probably did not get one. There is always a chance for need-based aid.

Ah, I see. Thanks for your help. I don’t understand why I didn’t receive anything because my stats were pretty similar to my sisters.

It is not totally based on stats.

You can’t compare yourself to anyone else

What is it mainly based on? The only difference my sister and I had were our SAT scores. Other than that we had the same grades, course load, leadership, and volunteering. We have practically the same thing because we do everything together.

Can you confirm that one does not need to file the FAFSA to still “claim” the merit award?

Sounds like it was the sat scores. What were the scores?

Yes. No need for fafsa for scholarships

Mine: 1780, my sisters was a 1950 I think. Even though her SAT was higher than mine shouldn’t I have received something? Across the board we have everything else the same. Even our ACT scores.

That is quite a big difference in SAT scores. I wouldn’t expect a 1780 to get scholarship money, given that the average admitted SAT is somewhere in the 1300s.

@lenny2 Ok thanks. So I’m guessing that the Presidential scholarship is based on SAT mainly then? I mean I’ve seen kids with lower scores get the Presidential scholarship but at a lower amount.

There all different levels for the scholarships. Also, geographic location is a factor as well. They may offer more to someone located in an area where they want to increase their student base. Remember, there is a limit to the number students taken from florida. Particularly, Miami and Dade counties.