Financial Aid

What wad your act score?

@rightofway‌ We both got a 27.

Given your act score, it is probably on the low end of the scale.

Ah, okay. So I guess the main factor in my case was my SAT score. Thanks for the help.

I got an 1820 but still got Presidential Scholarship of 21k a year, but I think it was because of my 29 on the ACT. You should always take both tests because you never know which one you will be better at. Also, class rank plays a large factor.

@PassionForUMiami‌ Congrats!! And I don’t think ranking was an issue for me. I’m still stunned as to why I didn’t received a bit of money. But oh well. I’ll just have to wait for UF decisions to come out.

Hmm that’s really weird. I would consider emailing or calling. Let them KNOW you are actually interested in the school. You know, that type of thing.

I might. But I’ll wait to here what I get from UF because UF is my actual top school. :slight_smile:

That is not going to help. The scholarships are what they are. You can additional money through the financial aid process.

The letter in the mail will exactly tell you what you going to get as Scholarship and Grant. Thats why its so important to apply for FAFSA and CSS. If your parents EFC is lower then you can get Grants to make up the difference.

@itstamara‌ your SAT scores are much lower then yours sister plus your ACT scores are not good either, remember every year its getting tougher to get Merit $$ out of any University except may be Ivy schools…which is based on need based not Merit

Is the general consensus that if we haven’t heard anything about stamps/ singer yet we don’t qualify?

@sophdog‌ pretty much yeah

I got a 2070 and a 32, but only 18k a year, so it might not be all based on test scores

@nehc97‌ Maybe. Because as you can see, my sisters scores were lower than yours and yet she received more money.

GPA and rank also matter.

yeah UM’s merit scholarship offers are actually really confusing. in the other thread, the one with over 170 pages everyone is talking about their scholarship offers and none of it seems to add up. they’re sharing stats and many people with lower stats are getting more money than those with higher stats, some people with high stats got no money whatsoever. also, there is a girl in my school who is the same ethnicity, takes less challenging classes, has a lower gpa, lower test scores over all, less leadership/EC’s, and she got more money than me. i’m really curious as to how UM decides on their presidential scholarship offers

I had a 31 composite ACT and a 3.6 unweighted gpa and a 4.15 out of 4. I’m taking almost all of the hardest classes my school offers and I’m in project lead the way at my school. We do not have class ranks because we have 1100 kids in my class, but I’m definitely in the top 25% at least. I was accepted for electrical engineering and I saw no merit scholarship on my online acceptance. Do you think I can still get a merit scholarship?

No. The Merritt aid has been awarded. What school you apply to factors in as well. If they need to attract more engineering students, they will offer more to aid to attract the students.

So even though the website says all merit aid will be given out by the end of March and I have not seen or heard of anyone getting anything less than about 12k a year, (minimum of 8k for presidential) there is no chance I could get a scholarship? I also saw an undecided with lower ACT scores and slightly higher gpa get a good amount of money as well.

It’s not by SAT score or rank or GPA alone. I’ve seen some kids with low stats get upwards of $20,000 and kids with really high stats get $0.