First Campus Visit! Help Please-

<p>Okay, now I really hate the fact that my 2 visits were so whirlwind. SO MANY places I’m dying to check out. Maybe I’ll add an extra day to move-in, not to help DS (he’ll probably want to dump me ASAP), just to do my own explorations.</p>

<p>For those who are there on evenings other than Sunday nights…</p>

<p>Nicks in the Sticks is a classic. Divey on the outside and inside, but good steaks …and the Nicodemus drink is powerful.</p>

<p>Belk at University Mall carries some Lily Pulitzer, but I wouldn’t count on finding very much there (and I don’t know the extent of damage at the mall). The Belk at Summit in B’ham would probably have more.</p>

<p>On a future visit, your menfolk (and maybe the ladies, too) would enjoy Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham. The museum has an unworldly number of motorcycles of all types and all ages. The racetrack around the museum recently hosted a Formula 1 race.</p>

<p>Bama T shirts and the like - Alabama Book Store, on the strip and also on Paul Bryant Drive near Tutwiler Dorm (their Web site is [www.bamastuff.com</a> [Home]](<a href=“http://www.bamastuff.com%5Dwww.bamastuff.com”>http://www.bamastuff.com)).</p>

<p>Just remember, things are REALLY quiet during the summer months.</p>

<p>A word of caution about Dreamland. The original location has a very LIMITED menu. You can pretty much get ribs, baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw, banana pudding and beer. That’s all.</p>

<p>The Northport location (which is actually closer to campus) has a much broader menu and you’re much more likely to be able to get a table right away. </p>

<p>I think everyone should experience the original location at some point. Maybe just not your first visit to town.</p>

<p>The Belk at University Mall had a major renovation this year. They have a nice Lily Dept…with a good selection! We were there the Tuesday after the tornado…the damage is to the west corner and will not affect your shopping.<br>
If you are really wanting to shop then a visit to The Summit in Birmingham would be a good idea.
Visit the Shirt Shop downtown and pick up a v-neck elephant shirt and some Vineyard Vines and then head over to the Locker Room for some southern Shores t-shirts. Both the Shirt shop and The Locker Room have game day wear as well.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>Note that Belk has two stores at the Univ Mall…One is for women and the other is for Men (and children, I think). </p>

<p>This is just my opinion, but the Univ Mall is quite small and doesn’t offer much else. I’ve gone to Belk because I’m familiar with it and it has brands that we wear, and to Penneys because it has a good Bama gear dept. However, since it is a small mall, it isn’t an “experience” like many other malls are.</p>

<p>for those who are unfamiliar with Belk…it’s like a Macy’s or Dillards, etc. These stores used to be Parisian, but Belk bought them a few years ago and kept many of the good brands that Parisian carried.</p>

<p>I prefer Midtown Village (which is across the street) because it just seems more upbeat.</p>

<p>For those who need to find Target…it’s behind Univ Mall…you get to it from 15th Street…it’s behind Home Depot when coming from 15th. It’s not really visible from the street. It’s a Super Target so it has full grocery as well.</p>

<p>Bruno’s is a 24 hour grocery store located immediately south of Univ Mall. </p>

<p>Publix is a grocery store located nearly on campus, at the beginning of The Strip and is accessible by the Crimson Ride for student convenience.</p>

<p>for breakfast…</p>

<p>FIG…Food is Good…located north on McFarland, across the river…right hand side. </p>

<p>IHOP is on Skyland…not too close to campus.</p>

<p>We haven’t eaten too many breakfasts in restaurants in Ttown…City Cafe…but I think it’s only open M-F and it’s in Northport (very quant street).</p>

<p>Waysider is popular for breakfast, but it has very limited hours…I think it closes around 12:30
1512 Greensboro Avenue Map It<br>
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401 </p>

<p>Phone : (205) 345-8239</p>

<p>Since you’ll be driving in from B’ham…for breakfast, you might want to stop at an off-ramp before getting to McFarland and go to Cracker Barrell for breakfast. The exit is Skyland Blvd East. This is a chain, but very popular…and not available in all states (not in Calif :frowning: )</p>

<p>Cracker Barrel Restaurant and Old Country Store
4800 Doris Pate Drive
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35405 </p>

<p>Phone : (205) 562-8282 </p>

<p>If you go to Cracker Barrell, when you sit down, ask for some biscuits (they’re free)…and they give you these awesome biscuits with butter and jams.</p>

<p>If you have time…Rama Jama’s for breakfast!!! It’s across from Bryant Denney.
IF YOU GO
Location: 1000 Paul W. Bryant Drive (across from Bryant-Denny Stadium)
Phone: 205-750-0901
Hours: Monday-Saturday, 6 a.m.–6 p.m. (later on home game days)
Prices: Inexpensive
It is sooo good :)!!</p>

<p>What would be the bbq that comes closest to Full Moon - sweet sauce and Alabama atmosphere?</p>

<p>Socal2bama,
I feel the same way, I was only there for 24 hours when S went to visit last June, I only got to go to Pita pit, the Japanese Restaurant & Walmart. Not a very exciting trip. When S took him for a fall visit they saw a lot more- ate at Dreamland and more importantly went to the Homecoming game and as they put it “ate there way around the quad”.
I need a more extended visit prior to parents weekend, as I’m sure everything will be crazy crowded then.</p>

<p>Tomato based sweet sauce = Heresy :-)</p>

<p>IMHO the best BBQ places in Tuscaloosa are </p>

<p>Archibalds
Mike & Ed’s
Dreamland
Woodrowe & Archibalds
Moe’s original bbq</p>

<p>Archibalds
Moe’s near downtown</p>

<p>But I don’t think they have bama themes like full moon. </p>

<p>Wings U has a total bama theme.</p>