FIT Applicants - FALL 2020

So I just checked my son’s application status & it says Freshman Advanced Standing too. He took one dual enrollment business class as a high school senior with the community college so that means he might get credit for it?

@ayeitztasha thank you for the clarification regarding SAT scores.

(I did read that FIT requires SAT scores for Presidential Scholars consideration.)

Thank you for the clarification.

Have other years heard back this early? Would be nice but scared to get my hopes up

The earliest someone posted in Fall 2019 that they got a packet was 10th March and they were international. Based on the fact that the admitted students page has updated is good sign admissions could hopefully be set to send some decisions out soon.

I believe so but don’t know for sure if his major will accept the credits cause FIT is known for being difficult with transferring credits from other programs even internally within FIT, everything is very specified.

@ayeitztasha are you a current FIT student? Or in admissions?

@Litva4 Yes, if he got a C or better and it was a class that helps him meet one of the requirements for graduation, he will not need to take that class at FIT. Learned this at the Open House last fall.

Comm design applicant

@ayeitztasha Thanks for sharing all of this! You’ve done your research. :slight_smile:

Have you looked through all the past years’ threads about COA and admissions? I’ve been on College Confidential for many years and have seen lots of people speculate that updated COA correlates with admission. But I couldn’t find any rejected students/parents answering the question of whether their COA was updated or not.

@ayeitztasha you sound like you’re already a part of FIT admissions by the tone of your posts!

Thanks for helping answer everyone’s questions.

I’ve looked as far back as 2015 & the earliest I saw was in 2015 some people heard about March 10 too (not sure if they were all international or not). Then a batch heard around March 23 or so. Then another rest end of March/early April. That seems to be the pattern though in recent years, not many have heard in an early March batch. I have yet to see someone whose COA has updated NOT get in (but plenty have gotten in whose COA hasn’t updated.) Yeah, I’m an anxious mom, lol.

From reading from recent years and as far as 2015/14 waitlisted people got a change after getting off the list and those who didn’t get a change but waitlisted were later sent a rejection. (post April 1st when most decisions of applications received by the feb 1st deadline)

I was just on a 2018 page and saw that a few people were getting emails about applying for scholarships on around March 12. I’m thinking that was a good sign that they got in. If anyone gets an email like this they should let us know!

So from what I’ve seen on CC and heard from talking to people who go, (Applies by feb deadline) international and honors applicants get their decisions (whether rejected,accepted or waitlisted ) then NY residents,then east coast and then the rest of the US. There’s no correlation of when you get your decision to if it’s a positive or negative decision. Those who applied first were reviewed first is all we know from admissions. (stated in the thank you for applying email. Something along the lines “Please submit your materials as applications are reviewed on space available basis”.

Same goes for FinAid, if you submitted your FAFSA after the 15th feb deadline then you’ll be reviewed on a fund available basis and if you get a package after tuition due date, FinAid repays the difference once aid is begun.

I copied this from a post in last year’s thread:

“There are several factors to the order letters are received(as observed in past threads):

• “Priority Application”; On FIT’s website, they list Jan 1 as a priority deadline for the SUNY application. Someone who submitted theirs at a later date may not be considered as quickly as those who did.
  • Order of all materials received(transcripts, essay, portfolio, etc)
  • Oresidential Scholar’s Program; not only do these applicants hear back first, they also get priority class selection(according to FIT’s Admissions blog, they schedule classes approx. 2 weeks before everyone else)
  • Outstanding Applicants(they will receive decisions before normal applicants)
  • Location; while being located far away is not as big a reason for delay(ex. Outstanding Applicant in California versus a normal applicant in Long Island), it could possibly still have an effect if there is bad weather or delay in delivery
  • FIT sends their letters in several batches, so some will receive theirs sooner than later

If anyone has any other factors to add/correct, please do! These are just some of the primary reasons I read from last threads.”

My son had a low high school gpa (82ish) and got into the business school, but he wasn’t an FBM major. He also took two college classes and I believe all schools recalculate GPAs based on their own formula, so I don’t know how they played into his average, other than I’m sure they were considered.

HIs COA didn’t update until a week before he received the acceptance letter.

1 Like

Thank you @JoyG!

@Pugieve i applied as an AMC major which doesn’t require a portfolio

Hey Guys, my name is Lola and I am applying for the FBM major for Fall 2020. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about decisions, and what days they could be potentially sending them out? I live in the Midwest, and I wasn’t sure if anyone knew about what days/orders these decisions come out…I have already talked to applicants about this, and got an answer based on old CC forums, but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask in this forum. I am aware that most domestic applicants receive their decision prior to April 1st, or exactly on the date, but I wasn’t sure if Corona affected any of this, considering they just canceled their prospective student day. Just wanted to see what others have been hearing, and I know ive already talked to a few of you already.

That’s a great question. I’d love to know if the Coronavirus will delay decision letters too.