FLC/Emerging Scholars

<p>buzymom3 ~~~ S is admitted to Spring as well. Do you think they have any clue what an awesome experience this will be?!?!?</p>

<p>Oops… make that spring for my DD, not fall. Living in AZ I get my seasons mixed up. haha</p>

<p>MonroeMom…I don’t think she has any idea really exactly how this works. I know that she is very excited and grateful. UA just keeps getting better and better.</p>

<p>Now if we can just make it thru Recruitment, all will be good. LOL</p>

<p>Does anyone know when Emerging Scholars get the first half of the book scholarship?</p>

<p>My dd wrote Dr. Weber regarding the scholarship money. She was advised that it is deposited after the class begins. It is not easy to get the scholarship money back if the student decides to drop the class. Dr. Weber did offer to deposit the money now in my dd’s account if she needed it right away. :)</p>

<p>Can someone give me a brief overview of Emerging Scholars? This is the first I have heard of this program. I read the info on the UA website but I still don’t really understand. Is this something Honors College kids do, or is it separate? Sounds a little like CBH but only for two semesters. And I didn’t see anything regarding scholarships for this program on the website either.</p>

<p>Same questions for FLC’s. Is this something a lot of kids participate in? It also looks like it is tied to EN 101 and 103 - if DS is hoping to place out of those then is this program unavailable to him?</p>

<p>Thanks! So many programs at UA, it is hard to keep up!!</p>

<p>thank you STLCrimsonMom! Very helpful!!</p>

<p>lisa6191: Emerging Scholars is an opportunity for students to have undergraduate research at Bama. You are paired with a teacher that knows more about he subject and under their guidance you research topics and gain experience. At the end of the year you present your research. Emerging Scholars isn’t linked to Honors College but I think a few Honors kids do apply to gain the experience.</p>

<p>FLC’s are really small groups and where you pick a topic you are interested in and want to pursue and learn more about. There are a variety of topics that can help students decide if they want to pursue a particular major or whether they just want to have something to do with other people that share the same interests as them. If your son places out of the ENG classes then he will not have to take them with the FLC and he will still be able to participate in an FLC. :)</p>

<p>Thanks! Wow, the opportunities at UA really are endless, aren’t they??</p>

<p>lisa6191 - that basically summed it up but just wanted to add this since I’m in the program.</p>

<p>Basically, for the first semester of your participation, you attend the class for an hour a week. It’s essentially a series of lectures, which are generally unhelpful and mind-numbingly boring for those not in the science field. Each student meets individually with Dr. Webb, the head of the program, to discuss their research interests. She’ll give you a list of professors to contact, or she may initially contact them for you, and you set up appointments with them to discuss their research. During the second semester you work with whichever professor you’ve selected for approximately 6 hours a week. I’m doing my research in political science this coming semester. The scholarship is $300 total, divided in half between each semester of your participation.</p>

<p>which are generally unhelpful and mind-numbingly boring for those not in the science field</p>

<p>LOL!! That was my son’s reaction <strong>exactly</strong>.</p>

<p>But he is really excited about his upcoming research project with Dr. Mixson. In fact, he has already done a ton of the research. :)</p>

<p>I am bumping up this thread to see how it is going for any students currently involved in Emerging Scholars. My D won’t take the class until spring semester and then do the research next fall. Should she take a lighter schedule next fall to accommodate the 6 hours of research? I am worried since Regina said the 1 hour class is boring and unhelpful for non-science kids. My D is a language kid- English, Spanish, Latin. Is anyone willing to share their (or their student’s) research topic? Also, what is the class called so we can see when it is offered since Spring 2013 classes are up now?</p>

<p>The class is UA 156 and is 2 credit hours. They meet once a week but Dr. Webb is very flexible. This Spring there was actually a section you could sign up for if you could not meet during one of the scheduled times. The class is mainly a chance to meet with Dr. Webb and keep her up-to-date on your progress or if there are any problems.</p>

<p>My S is doing research in Engineering. He had 19 hours and they encouraged him to drop a class which he did. The professor he is working with is very accomodating with his schedule and in hindsight S could have handled the class that he dropped.</p>

<p>I think the 6 hours is an estimate and not a given. My S works in the lab 3 hours per week but has technical papers he needs to read on his own time which they count as the other 3 hours. </p>

<p>Some of his friends have more than 6 hours of research. I think it will just depend on the professor and the type of research they are doing. In my S case, they are being very flexible and it’s been an enjoyable experience.</p>

<p>Just a quick note for clarification (I think). The seminar class is UA-155 and is 1 credit hour. I am guessing that the research is UA-156. DS is currently in 155 and will be doing his research in the spring.</p>

<p>Is there guidance to find a topic to research? Or is that what the 1st class is for? I’d love to hear some of the topics CC students are doing.</p>

<p>MemphisGuy is correct that UA 155 is a one credit hour course and is the class you take in the first semester. The second semester (research) is UA 156 and is 2 credit hours.</p>

<p>The UA 155 class meets once a week and during that class they bring in different speakers who talk about their research. When my S took UA 155 most of the speakers were in the science field. My S thought some were interesting and some were boring because he had no interest in that area.</p>

<p>My S spent many hours last Spring scheduling appointments to talk with different professors about their research and how he could be involved. Some of these he found on his own, some Dr. Webb recommended he contact once she found out where his interests were, and some he asked around in the ME department. He talked with professors in Physics, Math and different fields of Engineering.</p>

<p>Any update on how this is going for students currently in Emerging Scholars? Seccat, is the 19 hours your engineer son has including the 2 for emerging scholars? That’s my engineering son’s total including ES for spring and I’m wondering if he should put off one elective until next year.</p>

<p>Class2012Mom-My son had 19 hours and that did include the 2 hour UA 156. Dr. Webb contacted him and wanted him to drop a class and keep his total to 15-16 hours. (including ES) </p>

<p>S dropped his IHP elective. So he currently has 16 total hours. In hindsight, he could have kept his elective and been okay. I think it would depend on what classes your S will be taking, how well he manages his time, and how much his research requires.</p>

<p>Although my S’s ES experience has been good overall it is not quite what he expected. In his particular case, the prof has not had them doing much in the lab as far as research. Most of the work he has done has been on his own researching the research. A lot of it has been over his head and he has been reading many articles of research on the topic to gain knowledge. Not quite what he expected but he is okay with it.</p>

<p>Have to agree with seccat. A lot will depend on your son and which research opportunity he gets. DS has 17 hours scheduled in the spring including 156, but I know the labs he is looking at require more hours than some of the other labs. When I first talked to him he said that some labs only require a few hours a week others look for more like 15 - 20 hours a week.</p>

<p>So bottom line there are a few variable that need to be worked in that we don’t have at this point.</p>

<p>Sorry, I ms-posted. Son will not start ES until spring. How much time does the 155 course take? Is it just the speakers once a week and then some work to decide a research opportunity? Or are there papers to write or other work?</p>

<p>Dont think 155 took much at all. Most profs go to class to talk about what they are doing. I think there was a meeting or two with Dr. Webb to discuss research opportunities.</p>

<p>Haven’t heard of much more than that.</p>

<p>DS had 18 hours this term including MDB and 155. he survived so it cant be too bad.</p>