For anyone who cares to help

<p>Have you tried contacting the Tuscaloosa News? Maybe someone there would like to raise awareness of the issue. The railroad execs wouldn’t like getting copies of that story, either, because it would just highlight the liability issue and their awareness of it.</p>

<p>I fully understand your concern. My town has a number of grade crossings and we had two separate deaths in less than a week back in late November. Neither was because of lack of crossing barriers, but we are very much aware of the danger of train tracks.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip, Beth’s mom. I’ve instilled the fear of the Almighty in my children, about crossing there but I’m sure there are many students, especially new students or those who are just now bringing cars to town who are not even aware that both tracks are in use. Parents, please be sure your students are aware of this crossing (and RR crossings in general) and how swiftly these trains often travel. Without a crossing arm as a reminder, I often witness students crossing there without even slowing down. As a mom, I fear the consequences of these students crossing these tracks without using extreme caution. Any RR crossing deserves respect and the use of caution, but this concerns me so much because of the number of possibly distracted students rushing to and from campus.</p>

<p>It amazes me how quickly people in charge can pass the buck, but those same people simply love to take credit for taking action AFTER a tragedy has happened.</p>

<p>I’ve just spoken with Senator Sessions office and have left a message with Senator Shellby’s office. Next I’m planning to contact state legislators.</p>

<p>Senator Sessions and his wife are usually very responsive to concerns. I’ve had much success dealing with both people…very lovely people. They are the more quiet doers type of folks. If you can get Sen. Sessions on board then if he needs more “help” he can easily get Sen. Shelby to help bring on pressure. </p>

<p>Senator Shelby is the more flashy one (I dont’ mean that negatively), but because of his position on the Appropriations Committee , we hear more about him. However, I wouldn’t let that stop me from contacting him.</p>

<p>Both senators are Bama grads, so they should have personal interests.</p>

<p>^I just received a call back from reps for Shelby and Sessions. They both asked for this to be put into written form which I shall do tonight. It seems that someone is finally going to be responsive! Thanks for the tip.</p>

<p>If anyone else is interested in writing a letter I will be happy to provide the addresses for Sessions and Shelby.:)</p>

<p>I’d love their addresses and will write my letters tonight. Any particular wording?</p>

<p>That would be great! Here are the addresses:</p>

<p>Office of Senator Richard Shelby
2005 University Boulevard
Suite 2100
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401</p>

<p>Office of Senator Jeff Sessions
7550 Halcyon Summit Drive
Suite 150 
Montgomery, Alabama 36117</p>

<p>These are some of the points I made and was asked to include, but feel free to make any adjustments:</p>

<p>the location: Dr. Edward Hillard Drive near Druid City Hospital (formerly 6th Avenue East) in Tuscaloosa</p>

<p>Your safety concerns as a parent of a UA student – this is a popular route for students traveling to and from campus to off campus housing, shopping, 15th Street, McFarland Boulevard, Midtown Village, University Mall, etc.</p>

<p>The fact that trains travel at high speeds on both tracks and the other side IS gated</p>

<p>That this has been addressed and brought to the attention of the Alabama Department of Transportation and Alabama Southern Railroad</p>

<p>The fact that you can actually SEE the crossing at Hackberry Lane where both sides are gated</p>

<p>The large number of people other than students who also cross these tracks on a daily basis to Druid City Hospital or to the UA campus AND gameday or other event traffic</p>

<p>The fact that the contact person with whom I spoke from Alabama DOT says this is a funding issue and these gates are normally paid for by federal funding. He said that the RR was free to place a gate but would be unlikely to do so without pressure due to cost and liability issues</p>

<p>also that while bike lanes and pedestrian crossing signals are important and are currently being funded, a RR crossing is much more dangerous to the public</p>

<p>Anything else you find pertinent</p>

<p>Express appreciation for any actions that could be taken to expedite placing a crossing gate</p>

<p>Thanks for helping!</p>

<p>I am going to have to remind my D about this crossing. Here in the Dallas area and most areas around Texas, ALL railroad crossings have arms. Most kids are used to the arms being active and not having to “stop and look” before crossing. Especially if there is no stop sign at the crossing. VERY DANGEROUS situation.</p>

<p>Just a quick google and it appears that the company that owns Alabama Southern is Watco Transportation Services out of Kansas. It would not hurt to contact their corporate offices.<br>
Here is the link to the site that lists those in charge of Safety at Watco
[Safety</a> Contact List](<a href=“http://www.watcocompanies.com/contacts/safety_contact_list.htm]Safety”>http://www.watcocompanies.com/contacts/safety_contact_list.htm)</p>

<p>I highly recommend finding out which news station in the area has the best “investigative reporter” and sic them on this. If anyone is close by they can video tape the track with the traffic in the area, since it has grown a lot since their last study, and attach that to any email you send to the numerous contacts from the state, the railroad, the news, etc. </p>

<p>I don’t mind sending them a letter as well. I’d hate for something to happen to any person when it is easily preventable. It would be tragic!</p>

<p>You should see the railroad crossing on our private road. NO arm. NO light. NO signal. And the homeowners have to pay an annual licensing fee for the privilege of crossing the railroad! It’s a wonderful neighborhood, but I’m not sure we would have built a house on the road if we’d thought it through more carefully. The only saving grace is that the trains that operate on this track are infrequent and slow.</p>

<p>Good luck with this. We have found the railroad company here to be very unreasonable. We spoke to an attorney who said there’s a good reason for the phrase, “I’ve been railroaded.”</p>

<p>If you noticed, Sen Shelby’s Alabama office is in the University of Alabama. If I remember correctly, his office is in The Ferg. I wonder if any of his staff would have the SAME concerns about that crossing?</p>

<p>That address is for the federal courthouse downtown. Maybe he has a satellite office?</p>

<p>Honestly, that crossing needs to be grade-seperated (in laymen’s terms, the road needs to be elevated on a viaduct to cross over the railroads), as do the Hackberry Ln and 10th Avenue crossings. If you are going to contact the good senators, you could give them at suggestion too.</p>

<p>Hmmm, yes, get his staff on board! What about a rally? Get students and as many parents and citizens to pull out a full on protest with the news broadcasting the protest.<br>
If the good senator seems to blow it off, protest at his office. They don’t like negative attention.</p>

<p>As far as getting students/UA involved in a rally, how about put some crew from Crimson White on this issue. They seem to be great at ferreting out info and drawing attention to things. Then, if needed, be sure to get a permit to hold a demonstration, so you’re not suspended unnecessarily…Here is link to Student Affairs’ Dept UA Student Handbook (specifically, “Grounds Use” tab on right-hand side): [Student</a> Handbook](<a href=“http://www.studenthandbook.ua.edu/index.html]Student”>http://www.studenthandbook.ua.edu/index.html)</p>