For those who got in state residency before classes started

^ Additionally, I will have to come up with the EFC (<2000) by myself as well, so that means more saving.

But- this coming summer needs to be spent in WI, not south, to have spent 12 months here…

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I see the confusion

I already went to New jersey LAST summer in 2015. I’ll be spending my summer here in Wisconsin (if it comes that is, I never knew it could snow in March here)

Don’t count on any UW-Madison scholarships, unless, did you apply for the Chancellor’s?

I won’t put too much faith in Madison scholarships, but why shouldn’t I count on any? I’m looking to finish the applications for two of them tomorrow.

And I was not eligible to apply for Chancellor’s since I am a high school graduate.

Who provides your health insurance?

Why do you ask mom2collegekids?

There are not very many scholarships, generally in the $500 to $2000 range (nonrenewable) and are for Wisconsin residents.

I never saw being a Wisconsin resident as a requirement.

And I’ve got insurance from my job and Badger Care(state insurance for low income) as well. @mom2collegekids

I might be on my parent’s but I wouldn’t use it.

UW-Madison scholarship money often is from donors who have specified in their terms when funding that it go to Wisconsin residents.

For example for Letters & Science, in the past up to about 1500 out of 6000 incoming freshmen students applied to be considered for about 65 scholarships, of which only 8 were for non Wisconsin residents.

Thank you for that information @Madison85. And thank you for all the questions as well, they’ve helped me consider more things related to my first year.

How can you have ACA compliant insurance in two different states?

You will have to demonstrate complete financial independence from your parents. Can you do this and provide all of your own support?

While you might gain residency…and really, I have my doubts about that…you will still be a dependent for financial aid purposes. Your parents’ financials will be required in your financial aid application form…the fafsa. Did you include them?

Wisconsin does not meet full need for all students. You can expect a $5500 Direct Loan, and any amount of the Pell Grant for which you are eligible…(including parent income and assets). It is very possible you won’t get a dime of additional financial aid from Wisconsin.

***How can you have ACA compliant insurance in two different states?

I’m not well-educated on insurance. I’ll ask my parent more about that and have them take me off if need be. BadgerCare is fine enough for me.

***You will have to demonstrate complete financial independence from your parents. Can you do this and provide all of your own support?

I feel pretty good on this front. Right now my parents pay my cell phone bill. I’ll have to split from them. And from time to time they put money on my bank account even though I ask them not to. I’ll just put the money back on theirs and then change my account numbers.

I am on FoodShare and will be on FoodShare in Madison if I get a work-study position so that helps. I explained other financial stuffs for my first year in a previous post somewhere around here. Will probably donate plasma like any other college study. Hopefully, an Engineering Internship will come my way during school. I am also thinking a Co-op might be nice to do and save money as well.

***While you might gain residency…and really, I have my doubts about that…you will still be a dependent for financial aid purposes. Your parents’ financials will be required in your financial aid application form…the fafsa. Did you include them?

Why do you doubt that I will get residency? I need all the information that I can get. And of course I put my parent on there, I couldn’t do the fafsa without their info.

***Wisconsin does not meet full need for all students. You can expect a $5500 Direct Loan, and any amount of the Pell Grant for which you are eligible…(including parent income and assets). It is very possible you won’t get a dime of additional financial aid from Wisconsin.

I would never expect Wisconsin to meet full need. But I expected to receive some other grants that were stated in the Financial Aid Calculator that I used for Madison.

What is your FAFSA EFC?

If you don’t get Wisconsin residency, will you still attend college somewhere?

EFC is 1794.
I’m shooting for Madison. I don’t think I’d go anywhere else and by August I don’t think it’d be a choice to go anywhere else. I’m feeling pretty sure I’ll get residency for tuition. I just don’t see why I wouldn’t. I’ve read the statutes over and over again and emailed for confirmation.

Let us know when you get the confirmation.

Even IF (a very big ‘if’) the residency advisor overlooks the obvious (moving to Wisconsin for educational purposes), the $25k COA is not very affordable after the $9k of grants as shown on the NPC.

I did not move here for educational purposes. I would never do that as I stated before.
I have to ask how and why is it “obvious” that I moved here for educational purposes.

I got PLACED in Wisconsin. For my Americorps program, I chose to “serve where most needed” and I plan to give proof of that to the residency advisor. Pretty huge gamblings odds to predict that I would get chosen for the 1 site in Wisconsin and not the other 25 sites in about 18 states that the organization I work for has.

A lot of my coworkers come from Madison and their experiences pushed me to apply. I can’t afford OOS tuition but with in-state tuition I have a shot. I;m trying to make the best of my placement here, I’m trying to make Wisconsin home. I got accepted so apparently I’m good enough to be at such a great school, no?

Why would you say such a thing @Madison85 ?

Using all caps and quotes made it appear to mean that you were saying the opposite.

Americorps is a temporary assignment. How does a temporary job prove your intention to move permanently to Wisconsin?