Frenshmen's dorms at UMiami!

<p>I heard lots of things about Umiami's freshmen's dorms... Most are negative, such as tiny space, old facilities...
Does anyone can tell me if there is air conditioning in freshman's dorms?? If there is not, it will be extremely hot b/c of Miami's weather!!!!</p>

<p>There is air-conditioning in the dorms. We saw Hecht dorm and it is a standard dorm room. I did like the bolster on the bed as well as the drawer with the lock.</p>

<p>This a good news;)) Thank you!!</p>

<p>The dorms are not bad at all. D put carpeting down and added curtains and wall decals, and her room was great. Nice big closets as well.</p>

<p>I’ll be a frenshmans next year.</p>

<p>Damn, I couldn’t even imagine what the dorms would be like without A/C, especially in late August/early September… </p>

<p>As for the dorms, I’ve made mine my home. Posters help a lot, also flags (I have the Maryland State flag, my roommate has the Olympics flag), fish tanks (yes, tanks; I have two :P), and little trinkets from home all help make the room yours. My stereo system also gets many compliments, so if you have one from home that you don’t mind bringing down it’s a major plus.</p>

<p>Do you think single room or double room is better for freshman to live? I am afraid of having a not matchable roomie…
And also, Standford and Hetch, which one you recommend to live for studying hard student? B/c I am not interested in having parties etc.
Thank you!</p>

<p>I personally think a double is best for your freshman year. Although you may not end up being best buds with your roommate, having a roommate (especially in those first few weeks and during orientation) is really beneficial for helping to make other friends. Orientation can be overwhelming; you’re basically thrown in with 2000 other students, and having your roommate can help with getting through that without losing your head (think buddy system). Plus, you can pick your roommate (there are numerous search engines for doing that; I just used Facebook), which can eliminate COMPLETE incompatibility. That being said, me and my roommate aren’t really best friends, but we’re civil with each other. All-in-all, having a roommate is a good experience for your freshman year; you can get a single any other year if it doesn’t work out.</p>

<p>As for Hecht/Stanford, I may not be able to answer this accurately (I have a personal bias toward Hecht :wink: ), but in my opinion the dorms are what you make of them. Yes, Hecht is more perceived as the “party dorm”. Yes, Stanford is more perceived as the “study dorm”. But to be honest, there are both types of people in each dorm. I personally think Hecht has better facilities (namely the lobby and the elevators), but that’s a matter of personal preference. Other than that, they’re basically the same. Stanford has practice rooms for piano and other instruments and a game room. Hecht has nicer elevators and a nicer lobby. That’s pretty much it.</p>

<p>Thanks for you information! Really helpful!
May I ask what is your major? Do you know if the undergrad school of business is good at UMiami?</p>

<p>I’m triple majoring in Marine Science, Biology, and Math. I don’t know much about the business school, but I’ve heard that it’s one of the best in the country.</p>

<p>You are smart and awesome! Thanks!</p>

<p>We met an RA in Stanford when we were there last month. He said that the hurricane shutters there make it nice and dark, which is great for sleeping!</p>

<p>LINYMOM, and safe, too! So, any decision from your S yet?</p>

<p>txtxtxt, S is a business major and graduating this May. He has had a challenging program of work in the business school, about to start a 2nd internship and will go on to grad school next Fall. (He got into all programs he applied to and is making a decision about where to go right now)
The business school has a great advisor and you won’t be disappointed with the caliber of the students there and the rigor of the classes. Best of luck.</p>

<p>DinDunne - Ok it was your DS who told us that! LOL!</p>

<p>DS still waiting for to hear from two more schools, but according to his GF (who is more chatty than DS), he’s going to UM! Still waiting for DS’ “final decision.”</p>

<p>LINYMOM, I figured! Sleeping late in the dark is very important!
Keep us posted! It is a wonderful time and when the decision is made it is even more wonderful!</p>

<p>Thank you guys!</p>

<p>I am still wating for my own final decision too… But I would love to go to Umiami now!</p>

<p>We live in Miami but my son wants to sleep at the dorms. What is your opinion (assuming cost is not a problem, just assuming).</p>