Freshman Housing at SLO

Any advice for an incoming EE major for freshman housing at SLO?

• Do we need to sign up quickly?
  • Is it possible to get a single room?
  • Are some dorms better than others for engineering? Or in general?
  • Are there any other discussions or websites that talk about this?

My daughter is an incoming freshman environmental engineering, so I’m interested in this info too. Based on our housing tour in October, you don’t get a choice of dorms. They assign dorms based on “learning communities.” Website says housing will open mid-March, at which time you choose your top 5 learning communities choices, such as one specifically for Engineering majors so you’re housed with other kids in your classes, etc. or a 24/7 Quiet dorm, Honors dorm, etc. (See the website for a full list.) CP will then assign dorms based on the number of students in each community. Also, there is a brand new housing complex opening this fall for about 1,700 freshman.

That’s good information. Thanks. I’m happy to thinking about these next steps. We will take a tour in the next couple weeks. I wish your daughter the best in engineering at SLO.

@babygroot: Extremely unlikely to get a single as an in-coming Freshman unless you have a medical disability.
Definitely signup ASAP when the housing website opens for the best chances at your first choice. @Cohnhead gave you some good information.