Freshman orientation confusion

<p>My S (entering freshman fall '13) and I are trying to figure out which orientation activities are mandatory, which are worthwhile, and which we can skip. Attending all activities may be difficult since we live in Atlanta. </p>

<p>We have signed up for a New Student Conference, which we understand is mandatory.</p>

<p>My wife heard a presentation about Fish Camp and thought our S should go. Any thoughts on this?</p>

<p>Gig 'Em week looks like another week of orientation activities, but we haven't been able to figure out whether the students can move into dorms during this week, which of the activities (if any) are mandatory, etc.</p>

<p>Any suggestions from students and parents that have gone through this would be most appreciated! </p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>JR</p>

<p>You can move in during Gig 'Em week, and none of the activities during that time are mandatory. </p>

<p>For the NSC, you’ll get a pamphlet that’ll tell you which meetings are mandatory and which ones aren’t.</p>

<p>My D goes in the fall too. I talked to a couple of former students who highly recommended fish camp! If he can go, he should.</p>

<p>New Student Conference is mandatory; you will register for your classes then.
Move in date for dorms can be found on their website, I’m guessing it is August 17th.
FISH Camp is where you can meet other Freshmen, learn the traditions and yells, and is optional. IMPACT Retreat is similar, just a religious approach, also optional.
Gig 'Em week is the week before classes start and is just designed to get the students together for fun activities and bonding before classes begin. All activities are optional.
I would recommend FISH Camp if she is new to A&M and its “uniqueness” as she will learn a great deal.</p>

<p>Sorry, HE, not she…</p>

<p>Eh, I don’t recommend fish camp.</p>

<p>can you say why you don’t recommend it? so I can convince my parents to not make me go hehe</p>

<p>The cabins we slept in had a lot of bugs, and there were like 8+ people in each cabin, with only 2 toilets/showers in each one that tended to get messy often. There were some fun activities and plenty of opportunities to make friends, sure, but half the time they had us standing outside shouting chants in ridiculously hot weather. </p>

<p>Maybe I just got my hopes up too much for it, since everyone around here hypes it up way too much saying things like “it’s a once in a lifetime experience”. It’s honestly not that great at all. I’m not saying it’s terrible, and I don’t want to discourage anyone from going (a lot of people DID enjoy Fish Camp. After all, everyone’s different) just don’t expect too much from it, like I did.</p>

<p>jroback,
Another Aggie from Atlanta…
My son will be a Freshman as well! </p>

<p>Our son can move in after August 16th. </p>

<p>He is planning on going to Fish Camp, we have heard great things about it. </p>

<p>Inbox me if you want to talk more. So glad to know another Aggie from Atlanta!</p>

<p>@jroback,</p>

<p>Another parent here … of a current aggie. </p>

<p>Since people experience the same things differently, I’m sure you guessed that you’d probably get a slew of different answers as to the worth of the various programs. I’ll share my family’s perspective, which will be different from some others’ perspectives.</p>

<p>You’re right: NSC is mandatory. As somebody else said, you’ll eventually get a pamphlet outlining which activities are mandatory and which aren’t. So your son will definitely have to attend. In my opinion, NSC is worthwhile for parents, too. I learned a whole lot about A&M while I was there, and I left NSC feeling really great about this school!</p>

<p>My son went to Fish Camp because everybody under the sun said it was awesome and totally worth one’s time. “You will not regret it!” we heard. “It’s an experience of a lifetime!” we heard. “You HAVE to go!” we heard.</p>

<p>Well … my son is with izelkay. He really didn’t enjoy it that much. It was hot and crowded and like a giant pep rally. He DID get something out of it – I noticed that he came home with a greater respect for, and pride in, his new school and its traditions. He is glad he knows of the various traditions and yells, and I WOULD say that Fish Camp probably added to his sense of camaraderie there. So, those are all good things.</p>

<p>However, he makes friends fairly easily, is somewhat low key, and seems to easily blend into new groups without a problem. AND he doesn’t particularly like big, loud, crowded, hyped-up events. So, he didn’t REALLY want to go to Fish Camp – he just signed up because every single person he asked about it said that he should definitely go! It turns out, it was very much what he expected it to be. He didn’t HATE it. But … meh. It was what he expected. And not really necessary. And to this day, he doesn’t really keep up with his Fish Camp ‘friends,’ like everybody told him he would. He currently has friends from his classes, from a different summer program he participated in prior to freshman year, from a certain club he’s in been in at TAMU since his very first semester, and from his honors dorm. But not from Fish Camp. </p>

<p>So, I would say, if your kid is like my kid, and he doesn’t like stuff like that, and he doesn’t feel a need to ‘make friends’ prior to entering college, then he shouldn’t necessarily go. There’s nothing wrong with going. I don’t think he’ll HATE it. But, it’ll probably be about what he’s expecting it to be. The advice you’ll hear the most is going to be: GO! But, I’m not sure it’s all that it’s cracked up to be. </p>

<p>Gig 'em week. My son loves Gig 'em week! Yes, your son will get to move in early for Gig 'em week. Personally, I think this is the best program of the three you mentioned. It’s a great week to transition to Aggie life. Not everybody comes back to campus early, so he’ll get to move in before the big upperclassman rush. He’ll meet his dorm ‘mom’ and ‘dad.’ (They’re just upperclass students who are basically RA’s.) He can get the lay of the land and find all of his classes so that he knows just where to go on the first day of school. He can pick up his books, buy spirit wear, socialize, meet people. He can go to the gym each day. He can drive around town and check things out (if he brings a car or has friends with cars). As he moves in, if he discovers that he forgot something, he’ll have time to go pick it up at the local Target (or wherever). He’ll get to pick and choose whichever activities he likes for the entire week.</p>

<p>My son LOVES Gig 'em week! He wants to move in early each year. He likes seeing his friends. He likes revving up for the new school year with zero pressure. He likes getting all his ducks in a row before the first day of classes. He likes having plenty of time to find everything he needs if he discovers he’s missing something. It’s just a relaxing, fun week with friends, as far as my son is concerned.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you and your son! He picked a great school! :)</p>

<p>So I did a little search about Gig-'Em Week and found this on the A&M website: [?Gig</a> ?Em Week? Starts Sunday | TAMUtimes](<a href=“http://tamutimes.tamu.edu/2012/08/15/gig-em-week-starts-sunday/]?Gig”>http://tamutimes.tamu.edu/2012/08/15/gig-em-week-starts-sunday/)</p>

<p>My son talked to some friends who already go and said the ones who went to Fish Camp recommend it and are still friends with people they met there, and the ones who didn’t go say it doesn’t make any difference.</p>