Freshman Scholarships

I was admitted COE early action one week ago. I thought all scholarships were considered automatically and I didn’t know about the general application. I submitted it on Tuesday. Is there any chance I can still get a scholarship for next fall?

My son was also admitted to COE early action. We submitted the scholarship app when he applied. He did not receive any merit award with his decision (1510 SAT, 33 ACT, 3.78 weighted GPA). Desperately hoping there is something in his offer packet but not holding out much hope. They do not seem to offer much merit money. Some of his friends received very small scholarships ($900 - $1500) with the same stats maybe slightly higher GPA’s. Not sure if that helps.

I barely received any money. A mere $650/yr or so!

Same- Daughter admitted regular decision and only got $800/yr in merit scholarships. 4.3 GPA/1500 SAT/33ACT. Admitted to UVA too. UVA gave her zero. Engineering major. Better financial chances at private universities, based on EFC.

Hollins university offered $28K for me. So I agree with private schools offering more but then again, the tuition is much higher.

Got $81 - yes u read it right!

Lmao! $81 dollars?! Why even bother XD @kwajmama

@pungie2000 We got a good laugh out of it!

My son was offered $5,000 a year, which was really nice. But it would still make VT the most expensive of his choices.

Clemson is offering $24,000 per year plus another $1,000- $2,000 for national merit.
And Alabama has offered him a full ride.

He was really interested in VT’s CMDA program, but it’s the least affordable of his options. Not complaining, he is happy to have such nice offers. He just really loved Tech when we visited.

How are the students notified of any scholarship awarded? Receive something in the mail or do they need to log into something online?

Definitely better merit offers at private schools however the price take is much higher. My son got $27,000 a year from Steven’s institute of Tech however it is $70,000 a year. It makes it only slightly less than VT without any merit money. Right now the best offer and price tag is Univeristy of Delaware but it is pretty far down on his list.