FSU Class of 2027 Official Thread

Son admitted from oos! We are in PA. He did not get the overnight email and was pretty discouraged when he saw the stats come out today. He had a big league playoff basketball game today and didn’t want to open it until after and was completely shocked!

GPA UW 3.9, W 4.2, not sure of FSU gpa
ACT 30
4 year varsity basketball/track, team captain
Lots of other EC’s, NHS, volunteer work, etc.

3 Likes

According to FSU, the application and all materials have to be received by Dec 1

Hey all! Just going to put this down here in case it is helpful to anyone in the future. My daughter applied OOS. Double Nole parents, five degrees combined (college and law school for both of us and one masters). Daughter has a 32 ACT, top 5 percent in a large public NC high school of over 650 people. Violinist, Irish Dancer, heavily involved in both paid work and volunteer experience throughout her high school years. Consistent in everything (not a dabbler). Strong rec’s and common app essays.

She received an email at about 1:00 AM EST on the 15th of February congratulating her and asking her to sign up for her FSU Email. At about 2 PM on the same day she checked and saw there had been an update to her application status. Accepted!!!

Edited to add: she was given a very significant scholarship as well.

GO NOLES!

My daughter was accepted. 30 ACT. 4.5 weighted GPA. Many APs. OOS
She really liked FSU and it was in the running but she is not so excited now. A combination of such a long wait after hearing from so many other EA schools and political news surrounding Florida colleges/education have made FSU fall on her list. We will schedule a visit to remind her of all of the reasons it was on her list in the first place. If all EA would have released in a similar time frame it would likely still be at the top.

2 Likes

Can you please share your experience with FSU and Tallahassee? Thanks!

2 Likes

Our OOS son was accepted but I’m a little baffled because he has SAT equivalent of 32 ACT (1420) and we were hoping for the OOS tuition waiver but apparently he was offered any merit money at all.

Any C’s on his transcript? The OOS waiver is test score plus A’s and B’s on HS transcript and even then it’s not a given.

1 Like
  • wasn’t offered

Last year the cutoff was Sat 1420 and 4.0 recalculated GPA.

Where can you find the recalculated GPA?

1 Like

You can’t. That’s not shared anywhere. But you can do your own calculations.

From the FSU website:

Calculation of High School Academic GPA

Only the academic core subjects will be used in the calculation of the grade point average for admission purposes. We do not use the GPAs listed on the high school transcript or report card. Grades of “C” or better in approved dual enrollment, AICE, AP, and IB coursework will be weighted and receive one point in the recalculation; grade of “C” or better in honors, pre-AICE, pre-AP, and pre-IB coursework will receive one half point. For repeated courses, we will use all attempts in the recalculation.

1 Like

Is the additional one point for a 4.0 scale? My D23 grades are on the 100 scale. So if she received a 97 in an AP class, would it be recalculated as a 98 or would it be converted to a 4.0 and she would get a 5?

Yes, it’s based on a 4.0 scale, with 4.0 being an A in a regular course. In your example, she would get 5.0.

1 Like

FSU is a very big school and getting the classes you want in the sequence you need ain’t easy. Add in the desire to take the professors everyone wants, rather than the ones no one wants, and you have the answer to your question. My son was able to get the classes he wants/needs at the time he wants, with the best professor, because he is always the first group to register. This is solid gold at a large state school like FSU. Every registration period is a lesson in frustration and anger as few, if any, of the classes you want and need are still available - unless you are in the Honors Program with early registration.

The other advantage of the Honors Program is having a room reserved for you at Landis Hall. It’s a great dorm in the best location, and you don’t have to worry about getting in.

So, yeah, being in the Honors program is pretty awesome.

3 Likes

Thanks! We are also awaiting UF Honors. It will get tricky if we get honors in one and regular in other.

Does anyone know how often students are online with classes? I have heard at UF that many students end up online for quite a few classes. Can’t think that would be ideal for freshman :grimacing:

4 Likes

The only time my daughter had a class online was during covid.

1 Like

The FSU acceptance rate was <24%. Am I correct? That is crazy

4 Likes

Hi, does anyone know when FSU releases financial aid package?

1 Like

My daughter was OOS and knew HS grad students that loved it so she applied and got in this past fall-she absolutely loves it!!!

1 Like