FYI...Chemical Engineering no longer has the summer req't! :)

<p>I have a friend who planned to take it this summer, but due to circumstances had to withdraw. He told me that one of our professors said that most likely there will be a summer lab in 2011. Honestly it seems that no one is on the same accord. </p>

<p>Yes I am still an ambassador. Right now I do not enjoy being an ambassador simply because I do not like the idea of serving a college that does not seem to have the best interest of the students at heart. When I first asked the dean about the summer lab situation last semester, he directed me towards the actual department faculty saying that they are responsible for the curriculum. However, all my professors say they wanted to keep summer lab as is (beginning right after final exams and ending first week of June), so at least students could still pursue other summer opportunities. They told me that the dean and other administrators were responsible for the changes.</p>

<p>One of my professors did mention last week that the provost is against the summer lab, saying that the university can’t force students to attend summer school. That should have happened a long time ago.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Maybe the plan is to offer it, but not require it? I agree with the provost that the school should not require summer school.</p>

<p>Okay, it’s true that when I feel strongly about something, I speak my mind, damn the consequences.</p>

<p>I talked to one of our professors. This battle is still on-going, no matter what the lady you talked to said, m2ck. The heart of the matter is that the administration of this college and the professors of this department are in a power struggle. I don’t know if something similar is going on at other departments, and if not, why it’s only happening here. (I’m sure this is nothing new to you guys who see this sort of thing happens at the organizations and business that you deal with out in the real world.) Interacting with the faculty more often than the deans, I’m going to be apt to take their side. I’m also a graduate of the summer lab. In talking to everybody who’s ever taken summer lab, I’ve never met anybody who didn’t think the class was much more worth than the hassles it entails. So basically, I’m by no means a neutral party. </p>

<p>Now, I can see that there are possibles difficulties with having to take summer classes. But it seems to be that it’s the university that always seems to want to put hurdles up but never make things easier for people. Like they say people shouldn’t have to take required classes in the summer? Why not? What’s difference between the summer and spring in terms of price for OOS student already paying out of pocket? And those on scholarships? Well, who’re the people who say that scholarships can only be used for the regular semesters? That’s right - the university. Who’re the people that dictate that you have to get housing for an entire summer instead of letting summer lab attendees stay in housing on a short-term basis when the university houses all sorts of camps in short-term housing? That’s right - the university. I don’t buy that this hurts in getting internships, either. I knew several people in my summer lab class who were going to start internships and even jobs as soon as the class ended. As for the people who didn’t know about summer lab before they entered this major - they didn’t do their research. Frankly, the type of people who are not going to look a curriculum before they entering a field like engineering shouldn’t be engineers in the first place.</p>

<p>As for the negative vibe, I don’t intentionally try to be negative. The attitude mostly stems from my dealings with “the man”. But, like I said above, I’m sure headaches dealing with organizational bodies are nothing new to most of you. Believe it or not, I actually enjoy being here most of the time, as my life here doesn’t revolve with having to book a park shelter 10 days in advance “for paperwork” but with the things that make going here nice.</p>

<p>seems like the summer lab has yet to go away. : (</p>

<p>The subject of the summer ChemE lab is a controversial one. The Execs would like to get rid of it, but the ChemE head insists on keeping it. Dr. Bonner, the Provost, has told me that she doesn’t want it. </p>

<p>At the time this thread was started (and I regret its title :frowning: ), the word was that it would be discontinued.</p>

<p>There are more options now. This year (and maybe a previously as well), students can do their summer req’t in Europe (not sure which country or countries…thinking Sweden, Norway, or Denmark are a choice). </p>

<p>Also, it’s not just offered during one summer session. My son took it in June, some took it July…don’t know if some took it in May as well. My son was doing the Alabama Action in Costa Rica in May, so he couldn’t do it then. </p>

<p>Yesterday, I spoke with a ChemE senior who wasn’t able to take it this summer because of his co-op, so he’s taking it next summer and will either graduate in Aug, or he’s seeing if he can still “walk” in May, but get diploma after he completes it. </p>

<p>Frankly, I think the Univ and the Col of Eng’g need to come to some compromise…either get rid of it, figure out a way to do in during Junior spring semester, or find donors/companies that will underwrite most/all of the costs, so that students don’t have to pay for most/all of it. </p>

<p>Now that I’ve had a child go thru the class, I know a little more about it. The class is about 4-5 weeks long. It literally is a 6 day a week class that goes from the crack of dawn to very late at night (but on Saturdays, they were often done by 4-6 pm). They even sometimes had to go in on Sundays to get certain things done by a Monday due date (seems like many things were due on Mondays and tests were on Mondays). </p>

<p>They are writing proposals, rewriting proposals, doing many-hours-long chemical reactions/distillations/whatever, recording results, reporting results, etc - hence the long hours. The point is to create a “real world” ChemE environment that a ChemE professional would have. </p>

<p>FYI…the class is no longer 6 credits (the undergrad catalog may have it listed as 6 credits). It is now 4 credits. The time demand is the same, but the reduction was made to lower the cost.</p>

<p>M2CK</p>

<p>Believe it is Copenhagen and highly sought after…</p>

<p>Yes, it may be Copenhagen…that sounds like an option. It is popular with both instate and OOS students. In the end, I think the cost is about the same for an OOS student (once you include credits cost, housing, etc), but the fact that it’s in another country makes it a two-fer. :)</p>

<p>To alleviate costs, I suggest applying for various eng’g scholarships (internal and external). My son applied in early Spring, and got nearly $4000 in awards. I’m not saying that everyone can get that much, but every little bit helps. One of his awards was from the Engineering Honor Society.</p>

<p>It does sound like a very valuable course. Wish I would have had something like that when I got my ChE degree. The majority of my education was theoretical. Didn’t help much when I started work in a manufacturing plant.</p>

<p>i do think the class i valuable, but as an OOS parent, i am concerned with the cost. i have emailed a couple people asking if there was any way to charge those hours to the previous spring or following fall semester, but the answer was a resounding “no”. wonder if there is anyone else i could email for a better answer. their best suggestion was to use one of our scholarship semesters in the summer and then graduate early. while that is a possibility, i don’t think that is a very good way to use a semester of scholarship money (use a whole semester of scholarship money for such a low number of hours). i have thought of having my daughter apply for some scholarships to help with the cost, but there are no guarantees that she would “win” any.</p>

<p>anyone know if taking the class in denmark location is any better or worse than taking it in tuscaloosa. </p>

<p>anyone have a link where i can find out more info about the when the class is offered. i didn’t know it was offered at more than one time during the summer. i guess that is good news.</p>

<p>While I know little about the Chem E program my Ds friends who are Chem E & applying to med school have had to really on the ball.</p>

<p>As mentioned previously there is really no time to do anything while you are in the program so plan on a early mcat and recommendations so you can be verified while doing the summer program. If not you will be waiting for verification from AMCAS.</p>

<p>Also the app from Texas goes up earlier and that should be considered for the Tx students interested in med school. FYI</p>

<p>Personally, I would hate to spend the money to be in Denmark and then have to spend all my hours there inside the lab. It sounds like the experiments are very time consuming. If I was on a study abroad, I would certainly like some free time to explore the country and get to know the people.</p>

<p>robotbldmom,</p>

<p>Yes, but, if you can use your “study abroad” stipend to defer the costs it might well be worth missing some of the exploration potential…</p>

<p>I think the study abroad stipend would be offset by the cost of the plane ticket, and just the travel prep. While it is pricey to stay in the dorm and pay OOS tuition during the summer, it’s a lot cheaper than study abroad, even with the 2K stipend.</p>

<p>We had hoped son would get to explore some of Tuscaloosa, or even Birmingham, this summer, and even sent him with his video game system. His summer job had the kind of hours you guys are describing, and he was lucky if he had time to go to church and do his laundry.</p>

<p>loring: You are right about the stipend offsetting the cost, but it still would seem like a waste to me (in my opinion) but perhaps they structure the class differently abroad. Do they do a longer timeframe and shorter days??</p>

<p>robotbldmom: I have no clue. DS’s plans change on a regular basis and he’s the one piloting this ship. No longer need to be the helicopter parent. Actually, probably never ‘needed’ to be with this one…</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the 'study abroad stipend" for NMFs isn’t really “study abroad only”. It’s for ANY summer experience…even one in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>I don’t know if the Denmark experience has just as long of hours or not. But, if it did, a student could always either arrive early/stay longer once s/he’s there to sight see. </p>

<p>The people to contact about this issue are:</p>

<p>Dr. Judy Bonner (who doesn’t like the summer req’t)</p>

<p>Dr. Charles Karr …Dean of the Col of Eng’g</p>

<p>And whoever the Dept Head of Chemical Eng’g is. </p>

<p>Again, I think some of the points that need to be made are:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Find a way to put the program into a Spring semester.</p></li>
<li><p>Since the state will not allow OOS students to pay instate rates, find some workable solution that the class has a “one time charge” that everyone pays… (Is there any other situation where there’s a class that charges the same to everyone?)</p></li>
<li><p>cut the credits to 3 credits, since it does carry the W designation, having that 4th credit doesn’t do anyone any good since 6 are req’d and no W classes only have 2 credits.</p></li>
<li><p>Find some companies that will underwrite some of the costs. Or, have them fund some scholarships and then ChemE majors are awarded an extra scholarship to cover those costs.</p></li>
</ol>