General Studies at A&M

<p>Can anyone explain to me how general studies work at A&M?</p>

<p>most people go into general studies either when… 1) they want to change their major to something else and don’;t want to be in there current major , 2) undecided people … 3) they fail engineering and want to do something else so they get put in general studies for a semester or two. also, don’t major in general studies. </p>

<p>So as a freshman applicant who did not get accepted until after Mays was full, would it make sense to enroll in general studies? Do you get to pick the classes that work towards your preferred major in general studies?</p>

<p>You can’t take any business courses unless you are in Mays business school or in the Agribusiness program. Also, there are some other major specific courses but i’m not sure what they are. General studies will allow you to work towards a certain program… but, are you able to get into something else like Agribusiness? If you want to get into mays, I would pick Agribusiness since they allow you to take business courses. Also Mays requirements is atleast a 3.33, pre reqs done, 30 hours graded at TAMU and less than 60 hours overall and they only accept around 75 students. Agribusiness (which i’m trying to change to) is jointly connected with Mays, so it’s a business degree. I think in general studies you can have a “focus” like business, engineering, science etc… i would ask an adviser at the prospective student center though, just call them. </p>

<p>I know agribusiness is full. Mays is also full. I haven’t yet been rejected, but I haven’t heard back yet and Mays is full so i’m assuming the worst. I have a fairly high ACT score and Mays only filled up last wednesday, so I am hoping that I was accepted and have yet to hear back yet. If I don’t get accepted to Mays, what would you suggest I do next year?</p>

<p>@richmonds You may want to visit the Tex Ags Admission Forum (just google it that way). There is TAMU advisor who answers questions there. He addresses that issue several times in regards to COE and Mays. Good luck to you! </p>

<p>wonder what that means for on-campus transfers</p>