Georgetown University— Chances of me getting into SFS?

US Citizen
Southern California
Public High School
Female, Middle Eastern (White)
High School Junior
Athlete, multi-lingual, leadership

Major: International Politics (IPOL)
Minor(s): German + Arabic

GPA: 3.91 UW, 4.7 W (4.0 scale)

Test Scores: 1420 PSAT, 1410 SAT

AP Classes so far: AP European History, AP Art History, AP US History, AP Language and Comp, AP Computer Science, AP Human Geography, AP Biology

Scores for tests taken: AP European History (4), AP Art History (3)

Dual Enrollment Courses Taken at CC: Calculus, World History, Globalization, Global Issues, Cybersecurity, Arab Studies, German Studies, International Political Theorem, Peace Studies

Languages Spoken: Farsi, Pashto, German (3rd year at school), Arabic (first year)

Level of Math: currently in Calculus and I intend to go up to AP Stats in my senior year.

Unusual Extracurriculars: Founder of bipartisan student initiative encompassed the participation and following of over 300 students and administrative forces. Spreads social media awareness, has spoken at 3 city hall meetings. Speech topics and actions: observe foreign policy tactics, critique the rights and wrongs of past geopolitical events, and observe the impact of policy-related movements in varied domains while demonstrating all research and advocation in an organized fashion on social media.

Awards:

Ranked in top 10 CA Parliamentary Debate

Torch of Excellence (5x recipient): Rewarded to one sole student in each subject offered at Tesoro High School on the basis of academic acheivment and excellence. Subjects earned: AP World History, Mathematics Department, Honors English 1, Awarded June 2020.

3x Recipient of the Best Delegate award for Model United Nations (UC BERKLEY, Santa Margarita Catholic School, UC Irvine)

5x Recipient of Research Award for Model United Nations (most notable are from UC Berkeley and UC Irvine)

Rotary Districtwide Speech Contest: First place award recipient for a speech performed on the topic of “Serving to Change Lives” alongside over fifty students, Awarded March 2022.

Merit Scholarship for NSLIY: awarded on behalf of US STATE DEPARTMENT for both summer and virtual programs

3rd Place Claremont University University Speech Contest: Ranked third out of 127 participants

President of 4 Clubs: Model United Nations, Speech & Debate, Surfrider Foundation, Newspaper

Club Basketball for 10 years onward

Other in-school activities: PTSA VP, Co-Editor of school newspaper, CSF, NHS Secretary, was Team Captain of Girls Basketball, CSF

American University High School Summer Scholars Program

Legislative Intern for Congressman Mike Levin + 2 previous congressional campaigns

Awarded Merit-Based competitive scholarship on behalf of the US State Dep to study abroad in Morocco and learn Arabic (National Security Initiative for Youth summer and virtual programs)

Student Board Member on local United Nations Association

Research Intern for UCI School of Social Sciences — writing a book with professor and grad students

Past: Rishi Kumar for Congress Intern (6 months), Kansen Chu for State Assembly Intern (5 months), Brian Maryott for Congress Intern (1 year)

LORs

• Professor at UCI School of Social Sciences who I avidly work with at my internship
  • Rep Mike Levin (I am interning at his office)
  • History teacher who I’ve been assigned to for 5 years total (knows my character very well)

Cost Constraints / Budget
Net price calculations are doable with Georgetown

Schools:

Ultimately Georgetown is my top choice, but some of my other top choices include: Princeton, Brown, Duke, John’s Hopkins

1 Like

FYI, Georgetown is one of the few schools that is NOT test optional. Your current SAT score is on the low end of their range so I’d suggest taking the SAT again to get a higher score.

And most selective schools such as the ones on your list require 2 LORs from your high school teachers in core subjects.

7 Likes

Also be aware Georgetown requires all test scores be submitted.

1 Like

Congratulations - you have an excellent profile. You’ll want to expand/describe upon your ECs and quantify - and as for Rep Levin, make sure he knows you. If he doesn’t, but someone else does - have them write the letter. A name, on its own, isn’t worthy.

As for the Gtwon app - it’s separate from Common so in many ways duplicative. Perhaps I’m missing something but it seems to me they allow one teacher and that’s it - so no Rep Levin, etc.

Georgetown accepted 13% of apps this year - a bit higher % than previous as the # of apps declined.

Georgetown rates a lot of areas as very important - and the SAT is one. So your score is at the 25th percentile - so it’s possible - but a stretch for admission. On the flipside, your outside of academics are strong and that is important and your ethnicity (middle eastern) will be considered. Should your SAT go up, I’d say you have a better than average chance - but unfortunately that doesn’t leave a great chance. But no reason you can’t get in. With the 1410 though, it will be tough - and remember, Gtown requires you to submit all tests, not just the bests so if you take it again, you don’t want to go down.

So you have Gtown, Princeton, Brown, Duke, and JHU and that’s great and I wish you luck at all.

But what are your targets and safeties. These are far more important.

Let us know if you need help identifying.

You’ve done a great job and I hope it works out for you. Actually, it will work out for you - Gtown or otherwise as you are clearly a go getter.

Best of luck.

WIth Gtown, you have to submit all the SATs. You’re right at the 25th percentile - so any points you can get additional will help

2 Likes

Regardless of what Georgetown says on website, have you demonstrated interest to them? Can you visit and meet some of the SFS profs with a focus on Middle East? Are you ready to communicate to Georgetown that they are your first choice and you will attend if accepted?

1 Like

This surely sounds doable. I am in contact with two staff members at Georgetown SFS, but I feel as though I can work on improving those relationships and make them a bit more concrete, per say. Thank you so much for this!

I see the app opens in June and there is a link for the hs counselor bc GU doesn’t use Naviance and asks your hs to use their portal.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.