Georgia Tech Admissions Fall 2022

Yes, do not what calc GT did.
We have another kid in college and our EFC and demonstrated need clearly showed that.
Keeping fingers crossed and prayers on.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that on the CMU thread.
Guess, we were fortunate that they met our need substantially unlike GT.
However, CMU has to move us out of the waitlist.
Keeping our prayers on.

2 Likes

Sorry for the typos.

Yes, do not know whatā€¦

Georgia Tech does not meet demonstrated need for all students. I think the percentage I read was 67%. They commit to meeting a portion of demonstrated need through federal (loans and Pell), state (Zell) and institutional resources. For those that do not qualify for the Pell Grant, my guess is the percentage of those with unmet need is higher. The majority of schools that do meet demonstrated need are private, although there are a handful of exceptions like UVA. I have a friend whose son transferred out of UVA after his first year to a different state school (not in Virginia) and ran into this.

Certainly call the financial aid office as I have heard of people who had loans missing from their package.

2 Likes

I understood. And we will have 3 in college at the same time (triplets) so I get it.

We actually received decent grant aid from UVA (which meets need) and UMichigan (which does not meet need for OOS) and NC State (which also doesnā€™t meet need OOS). Also received federal loans from UF.

So donā€™t understand the FA from Georgia Tech at all.

1 Like

Yes, just got our too this morning OOS.

We heard they donā€™t give much since theyā€™re a public institute, but we got a small GT Scholarship and Federal Work-Study with a tiny Fed Direct Subsidized Loanā€¦

Could someone help me understand ā€œWork Studyā€? This means my DS has to work on campus to get that money?

1 Like

Yes thatā€™s what work study means. The school will help facilitate this. There will be certain jobs available for students with work-study.

It can be anything from working at a desk at one of the college buildings to working for a specific professor. As long as itā€™s not too demanding, itā€™s a good thing.

2 Likes

Soā€¦ You donā€™t have a loan or work study in your package then?

Nope

Did you check-marked that you are applying for those when you were submitting for FA? I remember we did so.

Pretty sure we did. Planning to call financial aid and ask.

1 Like

Folks

Reached to GT Financial Aid for reconsideration.
They said the only amount that can change is the federal amount.
There will no change in institutional aid.

But, Kiddo likes it so unless CMUā€™s waitlist becomes an admit, he will be a Jacket.

6 Likes

Just an fyi for those with questions about the campusā€¦

My D and I were on campus last night visiting one of her friends (female). We were near the residential halls on west campus and felt safe walking around. The walking areas were lit and quite a number of kids were out walking on their own or in small groups. My D commented on the number of kids out and about being more than at her school. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ETA: We saw a couple of the GT choral groups earlier in the evening. It was a fun time.

3 Likes

Congratulations!!

1 Like

Thank you.

Where did your child commit?

1 Like

UT Austin for Computer Science. Iā€™m happy at least this portion of the journey is over!

6 Likes

Great school.
Wishing him the very best.

1 Like

My son is officially a Yellow Jacket! :honeybee:
Itā€™s been a long journey and we are so grateful that it ended with a school that itā€™s a great fit for him and that he is so happy to attend!

12 Likes

do you guys think Iā€™ll get my acceptance rescinded if I have a C in AP Macroeconomics this semester? Iā€™m taking 6 APs (I have As in the rest of them) and I have an explanation as to why my grade slipped. Iā€™m panicking right now and I donā€™t know what to doā€¦

Unlikely. Itā€™s a D or F thatā€™ll typically get you into trouble.

2 Likes