Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Thank you! APS is Atlanta Public Schools - sounds like some EA2 students this year got the transfer offer but didn’t hear of any in state EA1’s - just trying to think through all upcoming possible scenarios. Wonder what percentage of deferred end up with a transfer option if they don’t get in. Fingers crossed for everybody waiting on good news.

1 Like

My son’s high school buddy got a transfer pathway offer in EA1. He’s not a legacy, not first gen. We’re in North Fulton Co.

1 Like

A bit late into the game lol but my stats for EA2 was:
ACCEPTED
3.9/4.67gpa
1390 SAT
4 years of indoor and outdoor track
Over 80 college credits on file from dual enrollment (Not sure how many will transfer)
3 AP classes

Also, they wrote the provost scholarship letter on Feb 9th and takes about a week to mail.

6 Likes

Congratulations!

Congratulations. Which major?

I guess I am confused. The pathway program is offered to high school seniors who apply for admission as freshman. It sounds like you need to go through the regular transfer process.

I’m not sure whether that is true. There are various pathway offers but I believe that you have to fit into a category. Arts and Science a big one. There are a list of all the pathway offers on the Georgia Tech website and they encompass a large portion of applicants but not everyone.

Which pathway was your son offered?

Because you’re in North Fulton county, is he part of Atlanta public schools? Or Fulton County public schools? Or did he apply to be a arts or science major?

I’m curious where your child did apply? As a long time Atlanta resident with lots of family there and now a long time Athens resident, the crime affecting students seems much worse in Athens.

First, let me clarify and say that I am not speaking about crime on GT’s campus. I am speaking about crime in the City of Atlanta. As a parent, I don’t want my child basically locked on campus because things go down hill as soon as she steps off campus (or even toward the edges of campus). We have lived in Boston, NYC, and Atlanta so we are not strangers to urban areas. The crime, especially murder and rapes, in Atlanta has skyrocketed over the past two years, and I would not feel comfortable having my daughter attend GT. If you need specifics, you can Google crime in Atlanta because I have seen several news stories within the past few days. Plus, as a resident, I see it. Shootings and car jackings are the norm. Sadly, the criminals run this great city.

Aside from a few short stints in other cities, we have lived in Atlanta for 40 years. I always thought that we would retire here, and now I cannot wait to get out. The crime is accelerating at an astonishing rate, and it’s moving toward historically “safe” areas. Georgia Tech has always been located in a mixed area, and it’s not getting any better.

PS - My daughter isn’t heading to Athens either! She’s looking at several out of state schools.

1 Like

@VirginiaBelle, requesting your input in our case. Our son D22 has been offered secure pathway for 2023 (Arts and Sciences). If he were to take it next year, can you tell us how difficult it would be in GT for him to then switch into engineering after getting in? He is now leaning more towards engineering and may select a school this year that he got admitted directly into engineering.

I think that will depend on how many hours of college credit he has. As a general rule, it is easy to change your major if you are under 60 hours of college credit. If you have more than that, it is only at the discretion of the department. I have no idea how difficult that is to accomplish.

My guess is if he is under that threshold, he will need to begin his first semester under the arts and science pathway and then apply for a major transfer. Sounds like this is a decision that may affect whether or not he accepts the pathway, so rather than guess I would email the admissions office. When I have done so in the past I have gotten a very prompt response.

1 Like

You have lived in Atlanta for 40 years and you think crime is really bad now? :joy:

I am sorry that you think that the crime rate is a joke. Homicides in Atlanta are on track to beat last year’s 30 year high. Rapes are also up 236%. Burglaries are up 18%. 2,000 guns were stolen from vehicles last year, and they are being put to good use. Armed car jackings are a near daily occurrence. APD is severely understaffed, and often 911 calls can take upwards of 30 minutes for someone to answer. I don’t know if you live in the City of Atlanta, but the crime is spiraling out of control. It gets worse by the day.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes we intend to email admissions and ask the same before we decide.

I was a Stamps semifinalist but didn’t progress onto the next round, but was just notified that I’ve received a Dean’s scholarship for the College of Sciences worth the same amount as the Gold Scholarship (out of state tuition reduced to in-state tuition)?? Pretty stoked, but when I look it up I can’t find anything about this…?

6 Likes

Congratulations! Yes, I know of several science majors that have gotten these scholarships through the Colleges of Sciences. Great news!

1 Like

And for more info:

They classify it as a grant. Grants | Financial Aid

1 Like

Sadly, urban crime is increasing at an alarming rate everywhere. I don’t have the stats (these can be called up easily) but I am certain that crime in places like New York, San Francisco, Chicago and many other large cities is beyond the ability of the authorities to control it. I feel much better about Atlanta than I do about these other cities. I’m not going to say I feel fully comfortable about my child’s safety in Atlanta, but thank goodness, there has never been a problem, and they are always out and about in midtown, alone and with GT friends. None of the friends has had a problem either. We’ve visited Atlanta frequently and never had a problem either, despite walking around the city A LOT, even at night. I’ve encountered more of a sense of danger in other places, without a doubt. And I do travel often, so I get around.

huge congrats! sad I won’t be seeing you at finalist weekend :confused: but maybe I’ll see you on campus next year! Congrats again!

1 Like