Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

38% in-state EA last year, as per this article:

2 Likes

#1: It is my understanding that colleges want to attract more first gen students and their acceptance rate is higher than rest of the applicants.

#2: Yes, green card holder are treated same as citizens but do they inflate the number of countries (e.g. 107 countries) by counting the country of citizenship of green-card holders?

The admissions director , Rick Clark, has mentioned many times in his blog about recruiting in both urban and rural areas of GA. That could be one reason for the uptick in first-gen applicants.

Below are some GT stats about yield. Surprisingly, OOS yield is only 30% for GA Tech, vs. 68% for in-state. I now understand why they take a lot of international students - not enough full pay OOS’ers who commit? Anyway, they seem to have some method to what they’re doing. GT is my kid’s first choice, and he checked “no” for the international sites for start dates. I’m going to need a lot of ice cream for what looks to be mostly a deferral, waitlist or rejection.

4 Likes

Agreed regarding colleges wanting to attract more first gen students, but in the absence of actual data on acceptance rates (at least I haven’t seen any) we can’t be sure. For example, it could be due to active outreach to under served areas. To be clear, my kid isn’t first-gen either and so I do understand your concern about impact, but I’m trying to be objective.

Regarding #2 - yes, their countries of citizenship do inflate the #countries count.

2 Likes

From data I got from Virginia Tech (not Georgia Tech), the offer rate for first gen was 66% compared to 54% for overall applicants.
I am trying to find similar data for Georgia Tech.

2 Likes

Interesting about 6K in-state applicants for EA1.

VA tech acceptance rate seems 70% plus and GA tech around 22% . Not sure how all other factors will play out in that case

Georgia Tech has tried over the past several years to increase first generation students. Their efforts are coming to fruition. They have also made a distinct effort to increase women, and under represented minorities. All of these categories increased dramatically last year. Of course that made it more difficult for applicants who did not fall into any of these categories. Georgia Tech is not a guarantee for anyone regardless of how accomplished unless you are the valedictorian or salutatorian of a Georgia high school with more than 50 kids.

Lots of highly qualified kids got waitlisted last year and many kids who would have in years past gone to t20 schools ended up at Tech due to test optional or gap years.

It will remain to be seen if admissions are as crazy this year as they were last year since test optional is no longer a thing at Georgia universities. If UGA is any indication, the applicant pool may actually be stronger than years past as UGAs 25th percentile GPA for early admitted students jumped from a 4.0 to 4.12.

4 Likes

You cannot compare general admittance rates across schools, particularly in engineering. Because Georgia Tech is a stem school it has very few majors which drives to some extent the lower acceptance rates because these majors are generally more competitive. This is also what drives the higher graduation salary. When my son applied to Virginia Tech several years ago the engineering acceptance rate was a good bit lower. Overall acceptance was 70 plus. Last year Georgia Tech’s rate for in-state and out-of-state kids combined was 18%. Also acceptance rates for state schools are often impacted dramatically by state of residence.

2 Likes

From our experience in COVID year
 GaTech is extremely difficult to get OOS with very high GPA, high SAT, Subject tests and whole package. In the end DD was accepted to UMich and Carnegie Melon first but was still on wait list in GaTech being legacy. Only because of the above schools acceptances, being legacy and Covid year she was in the end accepted directly (after contacting admissions
) The year after - similar picture from other kids of her level. All waitlisted

It is totally different for GA kids
 However, if you are OOS, do not count on it. I would say that kids from Alaska, Missouri or Hawaii may have a better chance with good stats. But if you are coming from top schools on East and West cost your chances are slim to none.

5 Likes

Totally agree. Told my D22 to not have any hopes on GT, if she gets in she’s lucky at the end of the day. Last year, of several applicants from our school just 2 got in and they chose to attend UCB instead.

Named after Andrew the person, not a cantaloupe.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Mellon in CMUs is spelled with 2 "L"s.
Both Andrew Carnegie and Mellon families are respected names in Pittsburgh.
Mellon family is known for Mellon Bank, now part of BNY Mellon.

It is not that different in Georgia, depending on where you are from. Women get a big boost - about 10 percent in acceptance rate historically over males - and I assume first generation and underrepresented minorities get at least that. It makes a big difference at Tech. The fact is it is not a very big school, it is one of the top engineering schools in the country and it is a bargain all around but particularly instate. It is not easy for anyone, but if you are not in a group they aren’t trying to increase it is even harder. My nephew is applying from a super top tier east coast boarding school, amazing stats and research - all the bells and whistles. Not first generation or minority. We are still on pins and needles.

4 Likes

Yes, that was kind of my point

1 Like

5 Likes

EA 1 decisions coming soon!
(We’re OOS ourselves, so have a much longer wait :grimacing:)

We are out of state too
 Wait is killing me!!

Wow coming closer. Good luck to all in-state applicants

1 Like

Out of state here too. Ugh. So much waiting