Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I honestly would not stay in Buckhead these days. This is where we live, and the crime is ridiculous, especially in the areas with hotels (Lenox area and Peachtree/Piedmont). I would recommend the Galleria/Cumberland area if you want to avoid the GT area. Without traffic, it’s just a tad over 15 minutes.

A few years ago I would have recommended Buckhead without reservation! It’s not the same place that it used to be.

2 Likes

How did decisions work out for you in-state deferred applicants?

Hoping to read good news from you here soon. :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

heard a mix of everything

Deferred son accepted for Business today.

6 Likes

Congratulations, In state or oos?

Only in-state results were announced yesterday.

D hasn’t received her admission decision yet, and I certainly don’t want to be presumptuous. But from a purely practical perspective I am looking to book a hotel for Gold Carpet / Admitted Student day because I’ve heard hotels fill up very quickly and I don’t want to have to pay top dollar at the last minute or stay 20 miles away. So I’d rather book now (and cancel later if no longer needed) .

What would the experienced parents here advise? Is that a reasonable thing to do or is it fine to wait until decisions are out later this month?

I was also unable to find GC Day dates anywhere, so if anyone can share that information I would appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

Midtown or Galleria/Perimeter area. I believe it is on the 28th. Someone posted these last month if I recall. Rooms are cheap in Buckhead too.

We tried to register for 3/28 a week or so ago and it was full. I believe the one on 4/9 had availability- I can’t share link as I’m only finding it through my son’s portal. Looks to run ~8:30a to ~3:30p. We visited last week (son LOVED it) and flew in and out the same day- made for a long day but glad to have visited! Fingers crossed for your daughter. My son still waiting to hear from quite a few schools but I think GT at the top now. A member on this board has been hugely helpful! She recommended GT hotel if needing to stay over.

The next Gold Carpet Day is scheduled for March 28 but it’s already filled. The one after that is on April 9 and still open so you can plan for that one. Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

https://application.gatech.edu/portal/freshman_sessions

Thank you @jpga13, @momtofour12 and @Beyou2022. Really appreciate your responses, wishes and feedback!

1 Like

My perception of driving to an event is extremely tainted since I live in Houston and it takes over an hour to go anywhere. We will stay in the boonies outside of ATL in case there are no other reasonable options.

Many companies are still working remotely, so honestly driving into midtown from the suburbs hasn’t been bad lately. We live about 20 miles away and it took us about 30 minutes to get to GA Tech at 8:30 am.

But if I were traveling to experience the campus and the city, I would think it would be much better to stay in-town. Parents on the fb message board have recommended the Hilton near campus and the Georgia Tech Conference Center. Another parent recommended Hotel Clermont, which is a little further away but close to some cool, trendy areas.

2 Likes

We are doing Admitted student tour, instead of Gold Carpet. They are available M-F all of April. It is for 2 and half hours - 45 mins presentation followed by one and a half hours of campus tour. That might work out for you too in terms of dates, especially if you have to book it later.

I see. Thanks @momsons2. I was leaning towards the Gold Carpet Day given that it’s a full day event, but I believe I read up thread somewhere that it isn’t all that helpful.

Has anyone done both GCD and the Admitted Student tour? If so can you share your experience please? Thanks

We cancelled the admitted student tour and went to the GCD. SInce it was our 1st time touring the campus, the GCD event was very informative. The 8 breakout sessions on the GCD are probably the ones you won’t have on an admitted student tour. They were on housing, study abroad, financing for college, how to be involved from day1, college specific session, Career center, Undergrad research and Ignite summer program.

2 Likes

We were registered for the GCD in March but now we can’t make it so now going on Admitted student tour. Luckily for us, a friend’s son is a junior there, so that might be helpful too. Son is also trying to see if he can schedule some kind of session with his department, although he is ok if that doesn’t work out. Since we have never been to GT, he just looking for a feel of the campus.

1 Like

We were looking forward to more college/major specific information including tours, but only had a 30 min Q/A session with 5 students. This was specific to College of Computing, not sure how the other college major breakout sessions were structured.

1 Like

My son attended the college specific webinar. He said that was really useful. He got a lot of questions answered, also now he has contacts if he needs more info or wants to connect to a current student in his college.
I feel GT has been very good in their communications with their admitted students.

3 Likes

If you have never been to the campus before, please take time to tour the dorm areas on both the west and east side. They are very different and lot of factors to consider before making a housing choice