Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Their official statement is “Early Action 2 will be announced in late January”.

In the past three years they announced on:
2021: 1/23
2020: 1/18
2019: 1/12

Given the increased volume of applications I would expect the date this year to be closer to 1/23 than 1/12.

4 Likes

All three were Saturdays, 1/22 will probably be the day? Although 1/15 would be nice.

1 Like

we received an email from Georgia Tech to fill out financial aid. Our EFC is very high. Is that okay to ignore that email? Any advice?

2 Likes

Same here. Ignoring it for now.

1 Like

Same!

Same here - I’m ignoring but interested to hear if anyone else is acting on it.

One of my sons friends did that everywhere he applied and got in everywhere. He sent it to GeorgiaTech even though he was applying as an engineering major. Seem to have helped him!

1 Like

They do not accept by major And do not publish that data. Out of state acceptance rate is around 14%

1 Like

Yes. It is not needed for merit scholarship consideration, although you may be asked to fill out something if you are awarded a scholarship. If you are a Georgia resident, you need to either fill out the FAFSA or the Georgia Futures application to get the Zell scholarship

1 Like

We won’t be filing FAFSA or CSS either.

1 Like

me2

Filled it out because it said it was required to make a final decision. Why is everyone ignoring it?

1 Like

The email said,
" In order to process your financial aid file for the 2022-2023 Aid Year from the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at Georgia Tech, **we need additional documentation. Any delay in providing the required document(s) will make it harder for us to finalize your financial aid file."

From what I understood, it’s to finalize financial aid. I didn’t see anywhereit’s required to make final decision. Am I missing something?

GA Tech takes Major into consideration and CS is highly competitive. Just an FYI.

1 Like

Apparently, GA Tech is need aware for international students and OOS also. (I read in many forums, but not sure). So, FAFSA or financial aid app is not filled. they will be taking decision based on information they have which could be either way.

I read on the form that it needs to be filled in for merit based scholarships. What is the harm in submitting the form? We have filled in the FAFSA and will definitely not qualify for any need based scholarships hence decided against submitting CSS.

They say - repeatedly and strongly - they do not consider major on application and in years past you could change major when you accepted your enrollment.

2 Likes

There is no aid for international students at all from GT so aid doesn’t factor in. And yes GT is need aware for OOS students. There is almost no merit aid at GT as a top tier university and as a state school. To get merit you generally have to move down a tier or two. And for in state students, the kids that get into GT in state get free tuition from a lottery funded scholarship. It is the best deal around :slight_smile:

GA Tech considers major when selecting candidates.

This is from GA Tech website: Major Selection | Undergraduate Admission

Major Selection

“When you apply to Georgia Tech as a first-year applicant, you do not apply to a specific major or college. However, on your Common Application, you can select a primary and secondary choice major. We ask you to do that because consideration of your major is an important part of our application review process, as we seek to ensure an academically diverse first-year class. In our review of your application, we look for evidence of your interest in and preparation for the major/college that you list on your application. Read more about how we shape Georgia Tech’s first-year class each year here, and learn more about the majors we offer here.”

I know few strong candidates rejected for CS but others got away with business major. The Irony of GA Tech admissions is, they know large percentage of students change major and many particularly into CS in the first few weeks, that statistic is also important part of their admission planning.

This is what was reiterated in the virtual live sessions we attended. However, the AO did add that admissions decisions are based on how well the major you indicated on your application fits with the rest of your package - including courses and EC’s.