Getting to the Airport - FLL vs. MIA

<p>I am trying to plan Thanksgiving flights. We have always used FLL but I thought that if my daughter was traveling alone she would use MIA, as she should be able to get herself there easily with the Metro. However, as I am looking at flights, there are many more options and direct flights to where we live, from FLL. I don't mind paying more for her to go from MIA, but it would be nice if she could travel at a reasonable hour and have a direct flight. So, the question is, how challenging is it for students (without a car) to get to FLL on their own. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any advice you can offer.</p>

<p>From past experience with FLL, the University offered shuttle runs every 2 hours, so it doesn’t always work with flight times. We have used GO Shuttle in the past,
[Go</a> Airport Shuttle Serving Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport and All of Broward County](<a href=“http://www.floridalimo.com/]Go”>http://www.floridalimo.com/)
If you run the numbers, sometimes it is cheaper to still go out of FLL, but it is also a longer drive to FLL (45minto 1 hour)
To MIA, the school shuttle runs every hour, but those shuttles have numerous stops on campus, so that time has to be taken into account.
I have no experience with the new Metro, but if you don’t have alot of luggage, that is probably fastest and cheapest.</p>

<p>We took the metro when we visited in July and it was great - and so cheap. It took us about 20 min to get to Brickell where we were staying (if you count getting from the terminal to the metro station it was about 30 min.). The next day we took the metro from Brickell to campus and that was about 20 min. So from school, it would be a straight shot - 40 minutes or so - and just $2 It was so simple that I would think it would be so much easier than FLL. It sounds like FLL might have better flight options for you - but just wanted to add how simple the metro was.</p>

<p>I just returned from UM using the trains to get to the FLL airport - it was easy, although it did take me 2+ hours (mostly due to a </p>

<p>delay in the TriRail train and a 15 minute wait for the shuttle driver to get us from the TriRail station to the airport terminal.</p>

<p>To get to Fort Lauderdale Airport - buy a $2 pass in the Metro station and: </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>While I was on the Metro leg of the trip, I jotted down the following notes on how to get to MIA, using the new Orange line:</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Our experience last year with the airport shuttle at Thanksgiving was pretty good - but your outbound flight must be quite a few hours </p>

<p>from your shuttle time, especially if you are leaving from FLL. I would leave campus at least 4 hours prior to your flight time if </p>

<p>you are taking a shuttle. If you are using the GO shuttle or a private cab, still plan to arrive at 2 hours prior to your flight </p>

<p>time as both MIA and FLL get VERY busy at this time of year - your “extra” time will be quickly eaten up in the TSA lines.</p>

<p>Conversely, with the holiday break in December, our D ended up missing her flight out of FLL because:

1. the shuttle picking her up at Hecht was late
  2. it took forever to load everyone’s luggage (much more than people had for Thanksgiving)
  3. shuttle makes more and more stops after Hecht
  4. traffic was heavy
    So, it turned into a very very long day for her, eventually arriving home around 1 am, after an 8 am start time (17 hours).</p>

<p>My suggestion for the holiday break in December is to either travel light and take the Metro/TriRail or share a cab with 1 or 2 other </p>

<p>people. Will probably never use the shuttle service again in December.</p>

<p>Finally, for those that were wondering - there are no return shuttles (would be kind of impossible if you think about it) on the </p>

<p>weekends ending either Thanksgiving or holiday breaks. So again, line up a shared ride, or plan on taking the trains back to campus.</p>

<p>Hope this helps,
~Zinc</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses. I will review this with my daughter. Basically, she needs to decide if she wants to put more time and effort into getting to the airport to have a direct flight and save hours of travel time!!</p>

<p>Additional metro to airport info: We had a direct metro to the airport. No need to change. Those that didn’t want to go to the airport had to get off and transfer. I think they have both. At the last stop before we turned for the airport, metro employees came on the train to warn everyone we were going to the airport. Obviously they were doing that to avoid confusion as the metro had just opened a few days before. My guess is now you just need to pay attention that you’re getting on an airport or non-airport train.</p>

<p>**Thanks so much Zinc and lrjfrm for the metrorail info!</p>

<p>ID93 has taken the train to Dadeland Mall twice since school started. She was with a group the first time, but the second time she was alone so I asked her to text me when she got on and off the train and when she arrived at the mall, and then back on campus. That was just two stops going the opposite direction though. </p>

<p>Since the extension to the airport is new, what do people think - will the trip from the []_[] to MIA on the metrorail be safe for a girl traveling alone? It would be great to plan to go in a group if a bunch of kids ended up on the same plane to Chicago, but the way Thanksgiving break is structured* this year at least *<a href=“comments%20were%20made%20about%20the%20possible%20lengthening%20of%20next%20year’s%20fall%20%5Bi%5D%5Bb%5Dand%20%5B/b%5D%5B/i%5DThanksgiving%20breaks%20during%20orientation!”>color=orange</a> if kids don’t want to miss classes, have presentations to make that week, etc, there’s no guarantee anyone else they know will end up heading for MIA at the same time. ID93 already knows she has a presentation to make Tuesday of Thanksgiving week for example, though I am hoping she will be able to leave after that class. Wednesday looks light - her psych prof, for example, is showing movies that day; I’m sure he knows lots of kids will have left by then. </p>

<p>During an orientation presentation, Dr. Whitely did say “professors will be flexible” since they know kids are trying to get home. This was in response to several questions about the shuttle service her office coordinates, one parent asked why the [/color][]_[] runs shuttles all day Tue and Wed when break doesn’t officially start until Thursday? ID93 has a bio workshop late on Wed afternoons and a lab on Wed nights that runs until 920 pm, but neither of them is scheduled for Thanksgiving week, luckily. I’m hoping the other profs she has classes with earlier on Wed are flexible!**</p>

<p><< Since the extension to the airport is new, what do people think - will the trip from the []_[] to MIA on the metrorail be safe for a girl traveling alone?>></p>

<p>My thoughts as a tourist and mom: I am not from the area and can only base my feelings off of one three day trip. I felt very comfortable on the metro. There were always quite a few people in our metro car - ranging from tourists, what appeared to be students and people going to/from work. It seemed safe for daytime trips to the airport and from what I experienced, I’d probably allow my child to take it. That said, I don’t know if I’d be comfortable with my child on it alone at night.</p>

<p>Has anyone used a cab/car service that they would recommend to pick up at the school and drop at MIA? I also will need one to pick up at MIA for return trip. What is a good meeting place for the cab to pick up on campus (Bank United Center/Stanford?)? Thanks!</p>

<p>It’s very safe. I took Metrorail daily when i worked at UM. Taking Metrorail to Tri-Rail to the BCT bus to FLL is possible, but so time consuming that you’d likely lose any benefit of the direct flight to Chicago. If she misses one connection on a non-rush hour train, or if the train is delayed, it could cause problems. MIA is literally one road and one right hand turn to UM. So, worst case scenario she can take a cab back to campus or get a ride from a friend with a car. </p>

<p>Also, be aware of her return day/time. The transit schedules on Sundays and holidays are very, very light. </p>

<p>Good luck and congrats for being a Cane mama!!! I am from a Cane family but my D won’t consider it because it’s home. I think she’s so familiar with the campus and traditions she’s looking for another path far, far from home. Oh well!!</p>

<p>GO CANES!</p>

<p>DS usually gets rides from friends but has used Yellow Cab 305-444-4444. He paid between $20-25 each ride plus tip. I found this guide which shows estimated costs for taxi rides in the Miami area: [TaxiFareFinder</a> Miami, FL - Estimate Your Taxi Cab Fare, Cost & Rates](<a href=“http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Miami]TaxiFareFinder”>http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Miami)</p>

<p>**ljrfrm and carimama-</p>

<p>Thank you both so much for the info on your experiences using the metrorail! IllinoisD93 took it to Dadeland for the third time on Thursday and again reassured me that she felt very safe, that during that brief trip several men graciously offered her their seats (interesting - I rode the el in Chicago for several years and rarely experienced that) and that she had a chance to practice her fledgling Spanish speaking skills (which was part of the attraction the _ held for her as a double major in bio/Spanish, the chance to be immersed in the language was a big draw) when someone on the train asked her for directions in Spanish. She didn’t know the directions but was able to understand their questions and communicate her lack of knowledge to the other passenger, and that much made her very happy. </p>

<p>I did a little research on the newly opened metrorail airport extension and ran across the official app “Miami-Dade Transit Tracker” which lets you see where all the trains are:</p>

<p>[Miami</a> International Airport :: Bus & Rail Information :: Miami-Dade County](<a href=“http://www.miami-airport.com/bus_and_rail_info.asp#options]Miami”>http://www.miami-airport.com/bus_and_rail_info.asp#options)</p>

<p>Using the app, I clicked on University Station and was able to see exactly when the next trains (both green and orange lines - but only the orange line goes to the airport) would arrive going northbound or southbound. Next I clicked on the next northbound orange train that was due to arrive at the _ station in two minutes. I watched it move in real time all the way to the end of the line stop at the airport rental car center. </p>

<p>It took about 20 minutes to get to Earlington where the orange and green lines split so you would have to change trains there IF you had gotten on a green line train instead of an orange line train at University. After it passed the Earlington station, it was a straight shot to the airport’s rental car center and it took about 5 minutes from Earlington to the the end of the line at the rental car center. So the whole trip was about 25 minutes to the RCC. </p>

<p>We’ve already taken the Mia Mover to and from the RCC each time we visited the _, starting with S/S weekend, then at spring break, and again at orientation, so that part is very familiar. Those trains come constantly, running the 1.25 distance to the terminal in just a few minutes. It sounds as if the MIA Mover is fairly new, since last fall maybe, and of course the metrorail extension to the airport just opened in July, and it definitely looks like an easy option for a trip during daylight hours. In the evening, as ljrfrm said, I would not be comfortable with ID93 riding alone. I’m barely comfortable with the idea of her riding alone during the day but am trying to relax since this week, after I texted her my objections to her planned trip, she didn’t even tell me when she was leaving for the mall, depriving me of my right to worry the whole time she was gone : (</p>

<p>ClassOf15Parent-</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the info on cab fares and the link to the fare estimator page! That looks like the best option for returning from Thanksgiving break on Sunday night. If a few kids end up on the same flight back from Chicago, they can share a cab back to the _. ID93 said there are two other Chicago area girls on her floor and she met several other kids from the area over S/S who live in Hecht so it seems likely that she’ll know someone taking the same flight back that Sunday.</p>

<p>As it turns out, she will be making a trial run to the airport for another reason in a few weeks so she’ll be well prepared for the holiday trip after her last class on Wednesday afternoon Thanksgiving week. At DiversMom’s suggestion, ID93 has applied for TSA Precheck through the Global Entry Trusted Traveler program and has scheduled her interview/fingerprints/photo op at the airport coming up. Everything I’ve read about the program is positive and this should really help when MIA and ORD get crazy busy at the holidays. </p>

<p>We were really sold on the program after we ended up in the TSA Precheck line at ORD this summer on our way to a destination wedding. We had just upgraded our Chase UAL Mileage Plus VISA to the Explorer version of the card for $95/year (first year fee waived though) to get one free checked bag each for up to four people traveling together and it also included Priority Boarding as an extra perk.</p>

<p>I think it was a slow day at ORD - they directed us to the Precheck line where the TSA people were handing out glossy business cards advertising their “Pre” program and basically giving “free samples” to those of us lucky enough to have priority boarding that day - shoes stayed on, laptops stayed in, etc, and the line itself was so short and moved so fast that it was like traveling pre 9/11. The program costs $100 for a five year membership, so for $20 a year, ID93 will make it through security much faster and not get bogged down in the heavy crowds during the holidays and possibly miss her flight.**</p>

<p>You’re welcome! Glad she has it al together now. :)</p>

<p>illinoismom, I’m so glad she’s getting the GOES Trusted Traveler Card! IMPORTANT, when she gets it be sure she associates the GOES number with her frequent flyer number/profile, and that her ticket is in her full name as shown on the GOES card. We had a little snafu one time and were not allowed to use our card because my FF account defaulted to my first name/middle initial and didn’t match the GOES card. Supposedly, the AA/GOES system had just been revamped and I was caught in the glitch, so be sure your FF account profiles include your GOES number and that the names match exactly so it will go into your ticket electronically. You’re right, it’s more than worth the money especially at holiday time. If anyone is interested, here’s a list of current airports/airlines participating, and more are being added. </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/LocationChart.pdf[/url]”>http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/LocationChart.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>This is more complete info for domestic travel. Not every airline participates, and only in major airports.<br>
[TSA:</a> Frequently Asked Questions](<a href=“http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/faqs.shtm]TSA:”>http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/faqs.shtm)</p>

<p>Just wanted to share that DD took the GO Shuttle from FLL recently and had a horrific experience. I am not comfortable sharing all the details, but suffice it to say they have lost a frequent customer and I warn all ahead of time to book with caution. I don’t think their drivers know what they are doing or where they are going and they did not even have a record that my DD got into one of their vehicles. Dangerous experience I will never let her repeat.</p>

<p>This has not been our experience with GO shuttle at all. DS has taken it five times so far without incident.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear of your problems DinDune. </p>

<p>Son used GO all the time (FLL to and from campus) without incident. From campus, he booked and was picked up with plenty of time to spare… usually alone in a limo. From FLL to campus, they sign up at the counter and there can be a wait and a car full of others which takes a long time to get back to campus. </p>

<p>Son took the metro once and hated that. Not the group of people he is comfortable with on the train. </p>

<p>By Jr year, and definitely by SR year, there were plenty of FL kids with cars on campus to take him to the FLL airport and back.</p>

<p>DS had another uneventful ride back to campus from FLL last night. We had made a reservation for private car ( with another student on his flight).</p>